Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Aussie 2j Conversion

Been on this forum a while mainly just read.. Been watching a few threads lately and thought I would show where I am at with my car and the conversion now.

Firstly I own a parts and mod shop in Sydney so all the work has been done by myself, except the engine rebuild which was done by a friend as I am no mechanic I just build cars..

Anyway this is what the car used to look like before I pulled it off the road for the conversion..

Car

side.jpg

CopyofWeddingVenue047.jpg

This is the old motor.. It made really good power around 400hp@18psi with plenty more if I would of went external gate as I had boost leakage problems.. But I sold the motor and driveline as is for $7000

Old motor

Copy2ofWeddingVenue051.jpg

I had all the holes and seems welded and filled in the engine bay and a fresh coat of gloss paint

Engine bay before

30thBirthdayWeekend052.jpg

during and after

Picture001.jpg

Houseandbay041.jpg

Houseandbay042.jpg

Getrag Box

Workshopcars001.jpg

In the car with clutch after all the needed shift mods (to locate it in the right spot)

Workshopcars003-1.jpg

I run a tilton triple plate carbon clutch and alloy flywheel which together weigh 4.5kg

Workshopcars005-1.jpg

I wasn't going to fit new seat but came up with a bargin (I love EBAY) and found these

I had them retrimmed to match the back

Interior

P1000313.jpg

P1000307.jpg

Carbon back

P1000308.jpg

Since I own a spare parts and fab shop things came cheaper than most ppl could get them so motor parts and work was the easy thing. I have gone for the show and go look and motor has endless detail.. Anything that is alloy has been polished all the way to the engine mounts..

Motor after its first trial fit. (thanks to Monster Matt for taking the time to give me some of his measurements, appreciated mate)

P1000131.jpg

P1000140.jpg

I have ran into a few problems (teething) the turbo was to big and hit the strut tower so I had to mod the greddy manifold. I also had to mod the waste gate as it hit the steering. Its all in and looks great.

polished Engine mounts

Lexus006.jpg

Motor as sitting in the car waiting for the turbo to come back from the ceramic coaters.

P1000321.jpg

Workshopcars011-1.jpg

I upgraded the brakes as well for the occasion.

Front brakes are 365mm with alcon 6 pot calipers which I polished.

P1000303.jpg

P1000304.jpg

Rear brakes are 345mm with alocn 4 pot calipers which are also polished.

Greddy rear strut brace

P1000395.jpg

P1000397.jpg

In the car

P1000399.jpg

Radiator and intercooler fitted

P1000402.jpg

P1000406.jpg

P1000409.jpg

P1000410.jpg

P1000408.jpg

These are the new wheels. They are second hand as I swapped for an old stocker motor I had laying around. They have old white wall tyres on them at the moment but will be changed before it hits the road.

The rear will get new inner and outter rims once I sort out the tubs but you get the picture

Front are 19x8 with 235 rubber

And rear will be 19 x 8 with 315 or 325 rubber

P1000411.jpg

P1000413.jpg

P1000414.jpg

Finally got the turbo back form the coaters.. Its had the V band fitted to the back of the housing and polished so its smooth as the front then coated in ceramic to keep the heat in

Workshopcars034.jpg

Fitted the coils. Made up some brackets so they dont touch anywhere so there is plenty of air around them for cooling. Bit tricky getting the leads on but worth them being hidden in the end..

Workshopcars018.jpg

here are just a few shots of it with the turbo all on.. Still need a few mods to the front of the turbo ( 90deg bend)

Workshopcars030.jpg

Workshopcars025.jpg

The breathers out the top of each rocker cover will go back to a custom alloy catch can in the passenger side corner of the engine bay where the wires are. The can will cover both the ECU and CDI

Workshopcars032.jpg

I have only made a little progress from here but I will post up sopme more pics when they come. :)

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking like another awesome conversion is in the works :D

Don't think I've seen polished calipers before, they look fantastic!

You've really gone for it on this one, really really impressive work mate, wish I had the skills you had to get this far!

When are you expecting to have it all finished?

Thanks for the compliments :)

Its off to get wired up soon and then come back and sort out the diff and exhaust. I am expecting it on the road driving in late Jan.. With christmas coming and moving workshops I have to be realistic.

Intercooler piping is sorted and next is fuel and all hoses. (while waiting for electrician)

As for power the motor already made 960HP with exhaust problems (to small) So once sorted I am expecting just over 1000HP @ 30psi and around 1150HP @35 without NOS I will fit a shot of NOS just for fun.

I'll post some more once I have progress.

This makes mine look like I have Bob the builder doing my conversion :blink:

The quality of work that is going on looks absolutely superb.

I am a bit more of a "less bling" type myself as I prefer to spend money on getting performance and making sure things work right first, but this conversion does look very very smart!!!

I was also thinking of painting the engine bay too but I just don't have the funds at the minute.

You should be pushing over 600bhp with that turbo I suspect????

Anyway,,,, looking forward to seeing this finished. keep it up!!!! :D

.......edit.......

600BHP........sorry matey I have truely underestimated the potential of that turbo:-(

1150BHP will be bloody ridiculous LOL......sorry again.....silly me!!!!

Fair play mate. That's some crazy figures you're going for there. What intercooler have you got fitted?

Custom bar and fin 100x300x600 with larger end tanks. Its rated at 1000+HP.

The entire drive line was dyno'd already.. From fuel system, ignition, spark plugs, intercooler the lot so I already know what the set up produced and is capable of. Motor is far from stock. The only thing standard in this motor is the crank which has been machined and treated.

This is the video of the motor with the small exhaust at 29-30psi. For those in the know it had 40lbs of back pressure which is not good due to exhaust not big enough. This problem didnt let us boost it up any higher. Like putting a 2 inch exhaust on a drag car.

Motor will break 1000@30 and will be around 1150@35. I dont think I will take it any higher than that as this is my street car. I will however fit a 100 shot of NOS in order to get some decent 1/4 times.

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=24m6q6c

This is with the IC piping on. I had a friend in the industry do this as I cant tig as well as I would like. Actually I am ***** at it (alloy)

Hi-luxbuild008-1.jpg

I had the BOV hiden up under the guard as they are illegal over here if there not plumbed back (out of sight out of mind)

Hi-luxbuild007.jpg

Hi-luxbuild010.jpg

WOW! B)

That looks amazing!

Top Job!

But I'm wondering how the traction on the IS will do with +1000HP :whistling:

Maybe a serious launch control system will help. B)

Traction in any car with 1000+HP is an issue but I am upgrading my diff to a ford 9-inch with a 4-link coil overs set up and will be running either 315 or 325 series rubber on the back so traction will be pretty good.

WOW! B)

That looks amazing!

Top Job!

But I'm wondering how the traction on the IS will do with +1000HP :whistling:

Maybe a serious launch control system will help. B)

Traction in any car with 1000+HP is an issue but I am upgrading my diff to a ford 9-inch with a 4-link coil overs set up and will be running either 315 or 325 series rubber on the back so traction will be pretty good.

That's an idea.

A good launch should be possible then. B)

But take care on wet ground, the IS body is pretty light at the rear axle, at all the

weight ratio (front/rear) will take some differenced caused by the heavy engine in the front.

A 325 rubber will show its effect during hard braking and on wet streets. :shutit:

But I guess.... a car this like won't see wet streets, just drag strips. :D

I noticed that the engine was dyno'd at Baker Pecision Engines. Is David Baker still there (the owners son)?

He sure is.. We actually had a chat about a certain party in the UK he knew that fitted a 2J to an IS. I actually put 2 and 2 together and thought it might of been Matts car. And by the sounds ouf it the party was you?

His farther is a very smart man (as I'm sure you know)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links