Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Now I'm Just Annoyed - My Final Thread

swfcdan Posted Today, 09:50 AM

seems like they have cocked up with the new IS,

i dont think they have cocked up at all, in fact i would say they have improved from the origanal is which i had from new for 4 years, before changing to the new is 220d 2 weeks ago.

it seem the new early Is did have a few isolated cases based on the number of complaints with rattles but from my own experience with a 2007 car everything seems ok so far

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well guys, I'm sure I wasn't missed...

basically, the car is finally fixed - hopefully for once and for all (and no that does not mean I've defected to the german brigade).

Far from it:

My local dealer has, I believe, gone to extreme lengths to sort it out - including high densile foam between the dash and screen and remedial work at the seat belt anchorage points. The car is now a true a Lexus again.

My whole rationale for dumping the LOC was loaded, and I won't go into it here. Some of you PM'd me and I did explain, and I believe it worked - that's all that I will say on that matter!!

On a separate note, I had an IS250 for a week, a manual SE, and I wasn't impressed at all. That particular car had lots of rattles, worse then mine has ever been, plus a baulky and notchy gear change. It was sluggush too - no performance at all, and my 220d would leave it standing!!

And it was a '56 plater...but '06 MY (i.e. had boot/fule buttons in the old configuration).

It was very econmical however - on a run to Newcastle, it averaged 38.2 MPG - which is shockingly good for a 2.5 V6!!

I'd still have an Auto 250 anytime...

Welcome back Jamboo! Glad that you've got your car sorted now.

I've now got problems with mine which will have to be sorted after christmas...

* Takes 2-3 attempts to get the car started and this involves reving the engine. If I don't rev the enginge hard it just stalls :(

* Fuel consumption has dropped to 38-40 mpg - no change in route or driving conditions.

* Returned to the car t'other day to be greeted with a flat Battery - first time ever for me with a Lexus. Still don't know why but I'm now forever checking lights, interior lights etc when I park up.

I'm still pleased with the car though.

Welcome back:I told you Lexus will always come up trumps & put a smile on your face!

Trust you saw the image of my car v. Tango's?

Tel :driving:

I'll need to take some more pics now the flaps are on :blush:

Welcome back matey - I did check the 'Who's on line section' to see if you were still browsing but didn't catch you :D

Glad the car is sorted, all's well that end's well - Where's Eunos, not heard from him for a while :blink:

welcome back,its been very quiet without your posts

:lol: "blessings in disguise"..."clouds and silver lining"...take yer pick!!

I was lurking around and reading the posts...

Matus - where you've placed the white cloth is where they've put the Density foam (but all the way along). I will take a picture and post it. You can just see it, only just, but it is a good colour match, and the car is finally TOTALLY rattle free, except for the Satnav screen suround which does creak. Nothing can be done about that, however. The car is on the 2nd Satnav screen/system and it's just as bad.

I actually feel totally exonerated! I knew I wasn't "rattling" for no reason. Each test drive proved to the technician that I wasn't just whinging...The car is now crisp and tight, just what I should have had having told the dealer in january that I wanted mine fixed on the production line...something I was sort of told would happen, but never did. The rest is history!

Once again - a big thanks for all of those that have added threads, PM'd me etc - I really do mean it - THANKS

PS - Scott - buddy I do think it's your 5th Injector. The symptoms sound too familiar...the workshops are normally like a ghost town at this time of year - take it in for early diagnosis...

I knew it! So the HD foam stops the upper edge of the dash from moving - I assume then the dash itself is braced against the windscreen glass. Did the lexus bods have to remove the dash (again?) to apply the foam? If they did, how well did they do it - scratches on the plastics/leather etc? I wonder if it's easily done, as I've got those rattles too, and I really don't want the dash out job...

I knew it! So the HD foam stops the upper edge of the dash from moving - I assume then the dash itself is braced against the windscreen glass. Did the lexus bods have to remove the dash (again?) to apply the foam? If they did, how well did they do it - scratches on the plastics/leather etc? I wonder if it's easily done, as I've got those rattles too, and I really don't want the dash out job...

The good news is that the Dash does not have to come out, provided the correct foam is used - get your techie to call Mark at Leicester. He knows the correct type of foam, the supplier etc, and did an excellent job.

Incidentally, my seat squeak was down to a loose seat belt anchor, not the mylon locating lugs, which are still there!!!!!!

welcome back Jambo, glad u got ur car sorted. near wraped mine up the arse of a 106 going to see tanacious d on sunday, yes the brakes are very good! but i don't recomend reading email directions willest driving in the future

Cheers - I know the feeling...did that for too long and then took the £2700 squids on the chin for Satnav...(and the rest of what MM gives).

I have to say though:

SMARTNAV in the courtesy car was great

Missed the MM

Sound system in the non MM is pretty good...but not the definition

PS- how was tenacious D? Was they tenacious?

Jamboo,

Not been on the forums for a while but glad your car is finally sorted!

Must say that after my initial purchase from Leicester which was far from smooth they have been spot on in every aspect since. Even replacing my cracked number plate for free during a service!

Matus - where you've placed the white cloth is where they've put the Density foam (but all the way along). I will take a picture and post it. You can just see it, only just, but it is a good colour match, and the car is finally TOTALLY rattle free, except for the Satnav screen suround which does creak. Nothing can be done about that, however. The car is on the 2nd Satnav screen/system and it's just as bad.

thanks Jamboo.

I am getting an occasional light rattle from middle of dashboard now (behind the middle wents), so I will wait until it gets regular and then put my car to the dealer to remove whole dashboard. Please don't forget to post the pic. Thanks

Here it is - the lighter grey strip (as it appears in the shot, running across the dash at the base of the screen).

dsc04381wk4.jpg

In reality, it looks absolutely OK, and does not stand out at all. The piccy does not do it any justice. It is actually pretty good and I am just soooooo glad that the technician managed to do it without a full on dash out job, which he and I did not want (at the risk of installing additional rattles...).

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing, with hindsight:

1) the car should not have been manufactured like this

2) this and Matus's thread proves that 2 cars (one LHD and one RHD) have a similar dash problem - how many other have?

3) Whilst I am happy it's all fixed, it is, lets face it, a slight bodge up (though it works)

4) I could have been petulent and insisted on a complete new DASH with all the correct trimmings but who at LGB would have listened? I haven't even had an acknowledgement to my email from LGB...lets face it this was the 3 rd visit into the dealer for dash rattles - I was told it was two strikes and then Lexus techinical...still waiting on that one!

5) Some vindication that there was a problem, and the dealer did actually do their bit to fix it

and the biggy final two... :blush:

6) would I ever buy a Lexus again :excl::question:

7) would I ever buy a new car at all, or one that is in it's first 18 months of production?

That final question is already answered...we just bought a pre-reg'd Nissan Note to replace the Honda Jazz.... :o and yes it does rattle a tad! And no it's a Petrol one!

:lol:

PS - Matus - the rattle from behind the vents is likely to be the centre dash speaker - mine sounded like it came from behind the vents at the start, then it got worse...when you pressed the speaker cover down, the rattle stopped. Try it...just press the speaker down a little (obviously get a passenger to do it when you drive/hear it rattling) and see if it fixes it.

The cure is simple - some added insulation/padding around the speaker assembly. It only takes a few minutes.

I hope im not tempting fate by writing this, but i have a IS250 its an 06 year.

So far all i can say is that this car is the best car i have ever driven, i have the Navigator model with all the good stuff, cant say enough about it. drives like a dream, plenty of speed and power and the interior is a really nice place to be, i recently went to Manchester and found the drive to be great.

Please i hope i havnt spoken to early.

I will however say that the Lexus guys at Leicester are useless and would be better suited to seeling burgers in burger king but i guess you cant have it all.

:o Is that a diesel?, greef thats poor, I have the 4.2TDI Sport A8 new and I get more than that on a run and it's just run-in. :shifty:

welcome back,its been very quiet without your posts

:lol: "blessings in disguise"..."clouds and silver lining"...take yer pick!!

I was lurking around and reading the posts...

I actually feel totally exonerated! I knew I wasn't "rattling" for no reason. Each test drive proved to the technician that I wasn't just whinging...The car is now crisp and tight, just what I should have had having told the dealer in january that I wanted mine fixed on the production line...something I was sort of told would happen, but never did. The rest is history!

Once again - a big thanks for all of those that have added threads, PM'd me etc - I really do mean it - THANKS

PS - Scott - buddy I do think it's your 5th Injector. The symptoms sound too familiar...the workshops are normally like a ghost town at this time of year - take it in for early diagnosis...

:tomato: Funny you should mension "Foam", I test drove (with a veiw to buy) the CLS AMG55 merc, on the drive within an hour tyhe glovebox assy fell out on the floor!!!!, I stopped and looked at it and it was "packed" behind with this foam s*it, I took it back and complained of poor build quality and they shrugged there shoulders and said "dont worry we'll stick it back". Needless to say I was off like shot. That car was £73K basic price!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tsktsk:

Sounds like you have a Friday Afternoon car.

Kick up as much stink with lexus as you can.

We had the same witht he wifes vauxhall and ended up getting free servicing and a pile of freebies.

Luckily cos we did so much milage in the car all the kinks seem to have gotten ironed out over the 3 years we had a warranty.

touch wood its been fine since then.

Bun in answer to some of the questions raised.

No i would NEVER buy a new car again or even an nearly new early model car. The Meriva we have was brand spankers and was only out a couple of months when we took delivery. The problems we had with getting parts, even getting Carpet mats was a joke.

I think all car manufacturers are having problems with Build quality except Ford. They went throgh the bad build quality curve years ago and learned from it. Mercedes have tried to slash build costs and have now got a bad reputation for quality i really hope Lexus dont do the same.

I once bought a Vauxhall - an Astra Starmist in 1990, brand spankers too.

Put it this way - I have never touched a VX since! It lasted 2 months (It needed a new dash (after 5 visits for rattles!) and even the gearbox packed up after 650 miles) and I bought a Toyota Corolla - best car we ever had...6.5 years of TOTALLY trouble free motoring (72,000 miles, same brake pads, 2 sets of tyres and a new exhaust...that's it)...

VX are renowned for poor customer sat and poo quality (sorry should say poor quality) :blush:

But I believed Lexus would be fine...it is a prestige brand, so I expected good service. So far it's at least as good as Audi/VAG, but the build quality of the Lexus really cannot complete with Audi - who really are top notch.

@ Lexusjohn - how do you rate your A8s' build quality? I'd love one... :blink:

Funny you should say that

my mate got an A4 and his has been back several times to Audi with niggles.

The rattles in my Lexus were far from niggles. There is clearly a flaw affecting many cars - at least in Dash fit/assembly...or they forgot to put some packing in. Whatever, my old A4 lasted 46000+ miles, 3.5 years, one warranty visit (for coroded alloys) and one "minor" recall for a clutch part affecting some 2002 cars (which they fixed at service) and that was it...

Just look at the quality of the materials and fit and finish in a VAG car (especially an Audi), compare them to a Lexus and see what you think for yourself...

Whilst dull, the actual materials used are top notch, they fit very well...it all feels solid and secure, no flimsy bits, hardly any shiny plastic anywhere...and no rattles

Some cars obviously have problems (such as the early TT's), but on the whole you do feel that you've bought a premium executive brand. A work colleague has an '06 A4 TDi 170, and he uses it for work. 16000 miles already, and one trip back under warranty - CD player packed up...and it'll have the first service in another 1200 miles...

With Lexus I sometimes feel I've bought a Japanese hifi...loads of flashy bits and bobs...and to be honest that and the legendary (!) customer Satisfaction is what sells it...it is great VFM. It does drive well though...now that it's super quiet again!

:lol:

I once bought a Vauxhall - an Astra Starmist in 1990, brand spankers too.

Put it this way - I have never touched a VX since! It lasted 2 months (It needed a new dash (after 5 visits for rattles!) and even the gearbox packed up after 650 miles) and I bought a Toyota Corolla - best car we ever had...6.5 years of TOTALLY trouble free motoring (72,000 miles, same brake pads, 2 sets of tyres and a new exhaust...that's it)...

VX are renowned for poor customer sat and poo quality (sorry should say poor quality) :blush:

But I believed Lexus would be fine...it is a prestige brand, so I expected good service. So far it's at least as good as Audi/VAG, but the build quality of the Lexus really cannot complete with Audi - who really are top notch.

@ Lexusjohn - how do you rate your A8s' build quality? I'd love one... :blink:

:winky: Fantastic, I had 3 new Lexus cars, 2 RX300 SE and the new GS300SE, none compare to this it's the best build quality out there. I was going to have a look at the New IS500F when it comes out, I may have second thoughts on that now though, happy new year to you all. :lol:

Likewise - the ISF should be tight and well strung together - else the dash'll fall out before it hits 60!

No seriously - I do think it'll be perfect and I would love to try one!!

I think it's one of the reasons why cars are dripped into the market - it's to teeth out the teethers!! If you know what I mean!!

sometimes in traffic i rest my hand on the gear knob (is220d) i have started to get a buzzing noise come from it..when there is light presuure on it...anyone else getting this?

to be fair to my local dealer i havent given the opportunity to adress my problems yet..although i have mentioned it to them..i was gonna wait till the cars in for the first service.

However, mine is a company car..I always get new cars every three years..this is my first "premium brand" car..the rest being vectras/mazda 6's etc....this is the first one which has had all these issues...or any type of issue tbh...the mazda6 was a first off the line batch.

to date my issues are.

buzzing off gear knob as above

rattle in cetral speaker/dash

the creaking seat

the cracking noise behind dash 20/30 mins into a journey.

high idle speeds

poor fuel economy..still getting 32mpg average.and only popping up to 37mpg on motorway.

would i get another lexus..prob not..i should have gone for the 320d

trouble is having these issues rather tarnishes your view torwards the car..and ive got it for another 30 months :(

sometimes in traffic i rest my hand on the gear knob (is220d) i have started to get a buzzing noise come from it..when there is light presuure on it...anyone else getting this?

to be fair to my local dealer i havent given the opportunity to adress my problems yet..although i have mentioned it to them..i was gonna wait till the cars in for the first service.

However, mine is a company car..I always get new cars every three years..this is my first "premium brand" car..the rest being vectras/mazda 6's etc....this is the first one which has had all these issues...or any type of issue tbh...the mazda6 was a first off the line batch.

to date my issues are.

buzzing off gear knob as above

rattle in cetral speaker/dash

the creaking seat

the cracking noise behind dash 20/30 mins into a journey.

high idle speeds

poor fuel economy..still getting 32mpg average.and only popping up to 37mpg on motorway.

would i get another lexus..prob not..i should have gone for the 320d

trouble is having these issues rather tarnishes your view torwards the car..and ive got it for another 30 months :(

RSVDaz - Most of your issues are fixable...it's just the hassle of going in...wait till a service and tell them to fix the lot and give you a courtesy car until it's all OK.

Like you, I really did not expect a Lexus to have all these issues. At times, like you, I do wish I'd bought something else, and very nearly did a few weeks ago - my confession (Audi A6 2.7Tdi Quattro)