Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacement Keys

GreyArea

I've done a forum search but not found anything on this, so I'm hoping someone can help.

I've just bought a second hand IS200 SE, from an independant garage, and it only came with one key, which I've found out is the sub key. I don't like only having one key, so is there anyway to get a replacement for the missing master key(s)?

The owners book says you need to have the immobiliser replaced if you loose all your keys, which I'm sure will cost me an arm and a leg, so any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Simon

I'm in the same boat of only having one key - luckily mine is the master key which has the lock/unlock and boot open options on it. IIRC yuo need this key to be able to program any other keys for the system.

I think you need to speak to your local lexus or toyota dealer about a new key - I know BloodyGoodbloke has had issues with teh spare key he bought off eBay - this was a blank key witht he 3 buttons on it. He's struggling to find anywhere who will cut the ley for him. So far he creckons he's spent about £80 buying the key and trying to get it cut - his local dealer would have done a new coded key for £125.

Like I say considering you only have the sub key - you could try ringing previous owners (if you can find them off the V5) to look for the key - failing that i think you may end up having to get the system replaced.

Can't trace the previous owner - no one listed at the address on the V5 (which in itself is a little worrying). I spoke to Lexus Bristol who told me that they don't have the technology to do it, but gave me the name of a Locksmith who they send people in a similar situation to. He apparently has all the gear to clone they keys, and the parts bloke reckoned it could be done off the sub key. He said that if not, it would cost £2000 for a new ECU, lock set, keys and labour! :crybaby:

The locksmith is closed until Monday, but if he can do it, I'll post back here with his details, so anyone else with the same problem can get it sorted.

Simon

(Oh, and sorry for repeating the topic, I did three different keyword searches on "key" and turned up nothing, then found a load of posts by just trawling through the board!)

(Oh, and sorry for repeating the topic, I did three different keyword searches on "key" and turned up nothing, then found a load of posts by just trawling through the board!)

:offtopic: I think the search function only works with 4 or more letters. I find it difficult to find what I need but you have to be persistant with it.

sorry

Craig

Got hold of the locksmith, he said he can do me the cheap, or the expensive option! The cheap option is to get a non-remote key cut, which will unlock the keys and disable the immobiliser, but it won't disable the alarm. So the alarm will presumably be going off while driving, but at least it's a get out of jail free card if I lose my key.

The expensive option is for me to buy new remote blanks, and he will then reflash the ECU for £500, then program the new keys to the ECU. I gather the remote blanks are about £85.

As I've just had to fork out for new tyres as well, looks like I'll be going the cheap route!

Simon

The cheap option is to get a non-remote key cut, which will unlock the keys and disable the immobiliser, but it won't disable the alarm. So the alarm will presumably be going off while driving, but at least it's a get out of jail free card if I lose my key.

Simon

if the car recognises the imobalizer the alarm will sound for 10seconds after the key is put in the ignition if the car doesn't recognise it, it wont even start.

Craig

if the car recognises the imobalizer the alarm will sound for 10seconds after the key is put in the ignition if the car doesn't recognise it, it wont even start.

Craig

That's useful to know. Well, I'm meeting him on Saturday, and he seems to know what he's talking about, so hopefully he can provide me with something that works in an emergency.

If I walk into your local pub and shout 'Oi! Lucky!' I guess it would be GreyArea who'd be the one to turn round and say 'hello'?

Not the best start to Lexus ownership mate - hope you get things sorted soon! :)

Mike

If I walk into your local pub and shout 'Oi! Lucky!' I guess it would be GreyArea who'd be the one to turn round and say 'hello'?

Not the best start to Lexus ownership mate - hope you get things sorted soon! :)

Mike

It was a bit of an impulse buy - saw it on the forecourt and fell in love with it. However, what I've saved in knocking the dealer down in price, I've already spent on fixing problems :crybaby: I've got a knock coming from the front-left wheel as well, so I'm hoping I haven't bought a lemon! I love the car, but at the moment I'm kind of regretting the decision to buy it...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi i have just brought my second lexus is200 I have the same problem the difference is I am going into it with knowledge beforhand the dealer has knocked £350 off the price of the car going some way to paying for an ecu reflash you mentioned a locksmith in your topic earlier do you have his details? As with the dealer knocking the money off I can put it to good use!

Thanks

Hi i have just brought my second lexus is200 I have the same problem the difference is I am going into it with knowledge beforhand the dealer has knocked £350 off the price of the car going some way to paying for an ecu reflash you mentioned a locksmith in your topic earlier do you have his details? As with the dealer knocking the money off I can put it to good use!

Thanks

I actually cancelled my existing insurance and took out a new policy with a company that covers replacement keys, so I'll hopefully be able to get some contribution towards the cost.

Anyway, the name of the locksmith is Andy Morgan, and his number is 07899 043 902. He's a mobile locksmith, in Bristol, but I don't think he'll travel as far as Nottinghamshire! Still, he has all the kit to do it, all you would need to do is source the blank keys. If you do use him, please let me know how you get on, as I'll be doing this in the New Year.

Simon

IM still having problems with the key.

No one will cut a key as if they eff up then your out of pocket £50 for a new blank.

I managed to get the remote to marry with the imobaliser but getting the alarm system to switch off and the remote locking to work is non existant.

Ben is right though. it cost e £53 for the key, it can cost £20 for it to get cut and even then i dont have a useable key as it wont enable disable the alarm.

I filed a claim with eBay as the guy who sold me the key insisted it worked so we will see if i get any money back.

If i do im going to Lexus and using my Gold Discount and getting a key the proper way.

A blank key, ie the blade only is about £5 off eBay. It is the transponder electronics that cost a lot and you can transfer these between casings. I need to find someone to cut my key but so far I have spend £9 on an old key that had the electronics in and £5 for a blank from hong kong. When I get the key cut I will have a go at programming the car to recognise it, by following a fairly simple process. If you have lost your master key you can't program the car so easily.

I'd go back to the dealer ASAP and complain about all the problems if you haven't already GreyArea!

Does anyone know how much Lexus charge to cut a key if you already have a blank?

I'd go back to the dealer ASAP and complain about all the problems if you haven't already GreyArea!

I bought the car from an independent garage, not from Lexus. I've already been back and they won't help, as they received the car with just the one key. If I'd known more about it before I bought the car, I would probably have decided to shop elsewhere, but hindsight is a wonderful thing!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm in the same boat as greyarea. Bought an IS200 2000 model privately and since all my other cars have been pretty basic I never thought twice about there being only one key.

Anyway I'm yet to pick the car up but I'm certain it must only be the "valet" key as it has no buttons and when it was inspected the inspector noticed he could not open the boot with it (he should have known better).

Anyway, I've been able to track down a wrecker who has a master key from a damaged IS200.

Got a few questions I'm hoping someone maybe able to help on;

1. How can I determine the key is a master key (he says it's a 3 button remote key)?

2. What other parts will I need from the car? Locks, ignition barrel, immobiliser transponder, anything else?

3. How difficult is it to swap out these items on the car? Better to hand it over to a pro?

Thanks,

D.

I'm in the same boat as greyarea. Bought an IS200 2000 model privately and since all my other cars have been pretty basic I never thought twice about there being only one key.

Anyway I'm yet to pick the car up but I'm certain it must only be the "valet" key as it has no buttons and when it was inspected the inspector noticed he could not open the boot with it (he should have known better).

Anyway, I've been able to track down a wrecker who has a master key from a damaged IS200.

Got a few questions I'm hoping someone maybe able to help on;

1. How can I determine the key is a master key (he says it's a 3 button remote key)?

2. What other parts will I need from the car? Locks, ignition barrel, immobiliser transponder, anything else?

3. How difficult is it to swap out these items on the car? Better to hand it over to a pro?

Thanks,

D.

if you only have the Valet, you will need a new ECU or the old one fleashed (flashing is not easy to comeby, you'll have to speak to loads of locksmiths, cost's, apaarently, £500) A new ECU is £2000 from Lexus! you will not need a new barrels or locks because a master key blade can be cut from a vallet key. The valet profile is different but the cut channel in the centre is the same for master and valet, what stops the valet key working in the dash and boot barel is because its about 2mm narrower, here's a diagram looking at the end, valet on left, master on right

key.jpg

The master Key has remote boot opening and alows the car to have a new key (master and Valet) programed for the car.

Thanks for you response. I now know the difference betweent the two keys.

So what if I took the ECU from this wrecked car? What else would I need besides the ECU and master key? Is the ECU easy enough to swap out?

Cheers.

Thanks for you response. I now know the difference betweent the two keys.

So what if I took the ECU from this wrecked car? What else would I need besides the ECU and master key? Is the ECU easy enough to swap out?

Cheers.

Good idea, I never thought about getting a second hand ECU. I don't know if that works but Im sure someone will let you know.

I would think you could get masters keys cut using your vallet key and just reprogram your vallet to the donor ECU using the master key from the donor car. that way no need of changing barrels, just ECU.

That's what I'm thinking!!

Now need to let the wrecker know that parts I need and hopefully he will know what I'm talking about. :tomato:

He says he's not familiar with the IS200.

So does anyone know whether this will work? Do the ECU's differ from year to year and model of IS200?

So i would also need to find a locksmith who can cut a masterkey from a valet.

We purchased our Lexus IS200 with only one key and I misplaced it (stupid ***) we had to get a whole new ecu & lock system installed into our car which cost £2000. Our insurance didn't cover it so had to pay it out our own pocket. A lesson learned I think - we now have 3 sets of keys.