Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

'auto' Heating Setting

I normally leave my heater control on the 'auto' fan setting and then just control the temperature with the temp dial.

However when I get back in the car, and turn the temp dial up (with the setting on auto) nothing happens for at least 2 minutes - it's always been the same and it's really annoying!

You have to turn the fan setting up to high and then turn it down to auto a bit later.

Is this the same on everyones' cars?

It won't put the fans on high until the car has warmed up a bit, otherwise it would only be blowing out cold air.

If you listen you can hear it gradually increasing the fan speed as the air in the system warms up. Clever stuff.

bit of a tip here, though I do take this experience from real standard type cars but with real performance engines (so dont know if it makes a difference for climate controlled cars) but......

the 1st minute or two that you are warming up the car (maybe even 3 or 4 mins on some) have the heater controls on 100% COLD...sounds odd, but otherwise the limited heat that there is will be pushed into the cabin, and so the engine will take longer to warm up. With the heater on cold, all heat is left in the engine bay/radiator etc, and so the engine will warm up quicker.

As I say, dont know whether this is true on modern cars, but it certainly works on older performance cars I've had/experienced!!

What I intend to do when I get my lexus......on cold for a few mins to heat engine up, all the while heated seat on so I dont feel cold :)

Tony, thats the good thing about the auto setting on the climate control, it won't put the fans and heaters on until the car has warmed up a little which takes a few minutes of drivng. Most of us find you can just leave it on 'auto' all the time without ever having to adjust it.

the 1st minute or two that you are warming up the car (maybe even 3 or 4 mins on some) have the heater controls on 100% COLD...sounds odd, but otherwise the limited heat that there is will be pushed into the cabin, and so the engine will take longer to warm up. With the heater on cold, all heat is left in the engine bay/radiator etc, and so the engine will warm up quicker.

sorry cant quite see how that works!

the water is there to cool the engine, for the first few minutes the thermostat holds circulation back,until the engine reaches a certain temperature then it opens allowing the cool water to circulate through the heating matrix and engine and thus cool the engine, the by-product of this, is hot water which in turn is used to heat the inside, i think the lexus boys have just wired the heat to start working when the thermostat opens