Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Noise from the fans

George

Hi All !

This is my first post here. I seem to be the first Swedish member ! My car is an IS200 SE, spectral blue / ivory interior (fully equip). TTE (30 mm lower) springs and TTE sports exhaust.

To my question: Have any of you IS200 owners noted a "weeening" noise from the fan motor when in position 2-5 (max). It should be quiet even in max position in my opinion. I have pointed it out to Lexus in Stockholm and I checked together with a mechanic in another IS and it had the same sound. Should it be this way ? Can anything be done ?

The fan motor, from what I hear, but shouldn´t hear, is located by the passenger door fan exhust. In other cars I´ve tested, only the air flow sound can be heard at max fan speed. It´s very un-Lexus like to have unwanted noise.

[Edited on 24-2-2002 by George]

[Edited on 24-2-2002 by George]

Hi george,

Welcome to the club!

yes the fan motor/plenum chamber is behind the glovebox - (look at this post on how to remove the glovebox)

http://www.teamlexus.co.uk/forums/viewthread.php?tid=412

With the radio off i can hear the fan running as well as the airflow, i dont notice it when the fan is on low, but i do when on its on medium.

ill have a look into it in the next few days and let you know if there is something we can do. I suspect that a oil wick or something has dried??How old is your car??

regards

robbie

[Edited on 8-3-2002 by fluff34567]

Thanx !

I bought it new Sept 1, 1999, so that would make it about 2 1/2 years old. I've logged 37000 km so far.

It could help to oil it up ? Although it was like this from the very start and I checked on a brand new IS in the Lexus show room and it had the same sound. If you find out how to cure this please let me know. You seem to know your way about the car judging from what I've read.

I was actually surprised to find that no one had mentioned this in the forum.

It would be interesting to know exactly what is causing the noise. It's definitely friction of som kind. And it is related to fan speed because the noise gets higher with speed. I don't know what the actual fan geometry is like. Could it be the fan blades ?

Cheers !

the fan is sure to be a centrifugal/radial type, but without having a close look at the fan /housing itself,i cant really say any more. Ill have a good look on tuesday and get back to you that evening.

robbie.

[Edited on 25-2-2002 by fluff34567]

• 2 weeks later...

ok i have had a look at the fan assy and there isnt really much you can do, the fan runs in bushings no oil wick there. it is also difficult to remove the impeller with out damaging it to some extent, to remove the fan itself there r 3 screws below the glovebox so it takes 2 mins to drop the fan, the plenum chamber is behind the glovebox but there is no need to remove that.

i dont want to remove the impeller as i want it to keep working! sorry guys.

any other people with this fan noise problem!

robbie.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links