Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi, I've had my Lexus GS450h for around 4 months now.. I purchased it brand new on a 56 plate in september and to be honest, have not been happy with it since....

At the moment I am getting on average around 17 mpg which is wayy below the manufacters figure... I don't drive fast and mainly around town but the consumption shouldn't be this low!!

What are you guys getting out of your GS hybrids? Do you think I should take it back to the dealers?

I need to make some comparisons first and possibly print this forum off as well as proof before taking it back to the dealers... Last time I mentioned it, they blamed my right foot!

:blink:

What is the mpg on a 50 mile urban/motorway run split 1:4.?

I got c.28 & I drive fast.

The car was a Demo,had 1600 miles on the clock , was rapid & ultra smooth.

Ask your ? on the USA forum if necessary as there are loads running there.

Tel :driving:

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers mate.. I've tried to sign up to the US forum but they haven't sent me any replies to activate my account...

Surely, there must be someone else who purchased the GS450h... or at least an RX400h to compare the MPG...

The best average I've had was 28mpg around town in SNOW... (at 20mph)... Im not going to be doing that everytime I drive I'm afraid...

Everytime I've been back to the dealers (Coventry Lexus), they seem to blame my right foot.... Currently Im tempted to trade her in for an E320 cdi the way things are going!!

Even those who have test driven this car... Can you please give me your MPG figures :) Im planning to pay Lexus a visit in next few hours so any help appreciated!

I have had 2 extended Test cars now for about 6 hrs & both returned c.28mpg even though I was continually demonstrating the rapid acceleration to friends.

Ambient temp on my Coventry Black Supercar was 7c. &, when I had the Derby Silver model, ambient temperature was 2 celsius .

Interestingly the Tank Average on both cars was similar to the figures I got after resetting to zero.

If I had the £'s I certainly would have one:they are stunning vehicles.

Tel :driving:

I've test driven the GS450h several times.

It was a 56 GS450h SE and also an SE-L, IIRC.

The mpg I saw was north of 35mpg most of the time, and the average was 38.

i test drove about 20 miles, mostly country roads, but with a few dual carriageway stretches, and a small bit of urban.

I wasn't giving it much stick compared to my usual driving style.

(What accelerator? All I see is this on/off pedal next to the brake?)

I know this isn't much to go on, but I figured you'd like to know.

I was considering the GS450h originally, but chose the 220d.

The mpg and emissions in it are better, and it seemed that what I was really giving up was just the CVT (which I loved) and the 3.5 engine (which would tempt me farther into sin)

G

Hi, I've had my Lexus GS450h for around 4 months now.. I purchased it brand new on a 56 plate in september and to be honest, have not been happy with it since....

At the moment I am getting on average around 17 mpg which is wayy below the manufacters figure... I don't drive fast and mainly around town but the consumption shouldn't be this low!!

What are you guys getting out of your GS hybrids? Do you think I should take it back to the dealers?

I need to make some comparisons first and possibly print this forum off as well as proof before taking it back to the dealers... Last time I mentioned it, they blamed my right foot!

:blink:

I too purchased a new GS450h, in my case taking delivery of an SE L in October.

My experience of fuel economy ranges from low 30s mpg on gentle motorway driving to around 17 mpg in heavy London traffic. In moderate traffic low 20s is acheivable.

It should be remebered that although a hybrid, this car is marketed as a performance car with the hybrid technology there to enhance the performance. That said I have found that in light traffic some incredible economy figures can be seen, at some points up into the 40s mpg and beyond according to the trip computer.

The problem comes when the traction Battery runs down in heavy traffic, which with a range on electric power of only about a mile happens pretty quickly. In stop start driving you cant build up enough speed to rechaarge the cells so inevatably the car switches over to the petrol engine.

Personally I am not that dissapointed by the fuel economy as with any car official figures are rarely acheivalbe in normal driving, and when the performance is taken into account, any direct rival would certainly be worse. My experience from owning two Jaguar S-Type V8s was at best low 20s mpg on the motroway.

Although a couple of other observations. On the two occasions I have filled the car (I am imbarressed to say I have only done a little over 700 miles in 4 months!), I have a lot of trouble with air locks in the fuel filler neck making it difficult to fill the tank. Also it seems the displayed mpg figure on the trip computer is over optimistic showing around 4 mpg better than when doing a manual check of measuring the mileage over a complete tank of fuel.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards

Keith

• 2 months later...

I have just bought a gs450h for a week, and been driving a lot, what I found is that if you use the hybride power rather than normal mode, the car actually use the Battery more often than petrol so you can have better mpg, it may be just me, but let me know how you guy getting on.

Is the car being driven very far around town per journey?

On my SC when the mrs takes it to work in town (about 4 miles each way) consumption can drop to 19 mpg.

The worst figure i have had on A roads to work about 12 miles each way is 21.5mpg. which is exactly what i got from an LS460 on A roads.

On a motorway I can get 26mpg.

All engines are least efficient when cold...

Cheers

Paul

On a drive from the New Forest to London and then two or three days driving about 16 miles a day in London and then back to the New Foest, I am getting 34+mpg.

If I calculate just driving around London without the motorway, then it drops to about 20mpg.

I am interested in whether leaving it in Hybrid power mode improves the performance. I use this for the motorway bit but not the London leg.

I will leave it in power mode and see.

Mel Marks

I remember my hour long drive on the "Open Road" event last year - I cained her for that hour and she gave me low 20's mpg, on a mix of town but mainly A road running...however, the Battery was flat - I was the first driver of the day in that car.

Is that the case with your's if you're getting poor economy still? have you taken it for a long run and got the Battery fully charged, and then tried the same town journey?

It's a brilliant car, but I'm not sure about the technology yet - so many people get good/bad mpg (a bit like Lexus's diesel), there is little middle ground.

On the whole I think they are brilliant cars...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links