Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Is250 Mpg Statistics Released In The Usa

I've just seen that they've released new MPG statistics over in the USA, which seem to be more conservative than the original figures that were quoted:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorC...=1&id=23508

Basically the new figures show an overall MPG of 24, which is based off 21MPG in the city and 29 on the motorways.

The old figures showed an overall MPG of 27, which was based off 24MPG in the city and 32 on the motorways.

How do these figures compare to what you guys are seeing?

I was averaging 34 mpg until the last couple of months, but due a service coming up and a heavy right foor it's down to 31 mpg at the moment. Not sure how the yanks get it that low on the freeway when they can only do something like 65 mph officially IIRC.

Don't forget that a US gallon is about 20% less volume (about 3.8 litres), so 29 US mpg is close to 35 imperial mpg.

The new figures are supposed to be more realistic in terms of cruising speed, using air-con etc.

Don't forget that a US gallon is about 20% less volume (about 3.8 litres), so 29 US mpg is close to 35 imperial mpg.

The new figures are supposed to be more realistic in terms of cruising speed, using air-con etc.

I have done no long journeys since I picked up the car late in September. All my mileage (2,777) has been around our locality and I have averaged 28.19 m.p.g.

These figures are based upon complete records of petrol purchased and miles recorded.

The in-car computer is showing 29.90 m.p.g so it is pretty optimistic (over 6%).

I still think the figures are pretty good for urban driving.

Yep that mpg difference is all to do with the US gallon being different to the UK gallon - actually equates to:

City: 25.2

Motorway: 34.8

Combined: 28.8

That seems quite reasonable, are the figures over here better or worse?

I would have thought the 91 RON should make some difference as well though?

Yep that mpg difference is all to do with the US gallon being different to the UK gallon - actually equates to:

City: 25.2

Motorway: 34.8

Combined: 28.8

That seems quite reasonable, are the figures over here better or worse?

I would have thought the 91 RON should make some difference as well though?

Slightly different, but also, aren't the USA ones for the Auto and not "Stick shift"

here are the UK ones:

MANUAL

Urban (mpg/l/100 km) 20.9/13.5

Extra urban (mpg/l/100 km) 36.7/7.7

Combined (mpg/l/100 km) 28.8/9.8

AUTO

Urban (mpg/l/100 km) 22.2/12.7

Extra urban (mpg/l/100 km) 40.4/7.0

Combined (mpg/l/100 km) 31.0/9.1

As far as RON is concerned, I believed (read it on the LOC) that the USA RON is different to our RON (don't ask...I thought RON was RON :blush: ) and that :

87 USA RON = 95 UK RON

91 USA RON = 97 UK RON...?

The final cookies on this are around the tests themselves. Does anyone know how they derive "City" and "Highway" figures inthe USA, what speeds etc, rolling road, actual drive on a test route?

Personally, I think it's too difficult trying to compare them, and also, in this country, if they re-adjusted it, everyone's company car tax, road tax etc would go up.... :tsktsk:

After 12000km of mostly urban driving, with very limited motorway usage, my IS250 manual is averaging 23mpg (12.5 l/100km).

My 2 litre SAAB 93 was achieving closer to 28mpg.

Having said that, the ACC is permanently on at 20C in the IS, but seat heating/ventilation rarely used.

Costing approx €45 per week in fuel.

P.