Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Mobile Phone Law

MrADeveci

From the 27th February 2007 if you are caught using your mobile phone whilst driving you will have to pay a £60 fine and receive 3 penalty points on your license.

Currently, if you use any phone when you are driving you will be classed as breaking the law. The laws are now getting tougher and the penalties heavier. Receive just six penalty points in your first 2 years of driving and you can expect to lose your license.

As well as the hefty fines, the Government will be rolling out a new campaign which will target motrists and highlight the dangers of using a mobile phone at the wheel.

mobile%20law.jpg

To avoid any fines or penalty points don’t use your phone:

- When you are stuck in traffic

- When you are stopped at traffic lights

- To receive calls, texts messages or access the internet whilst driving

There are exceptions however, as a driver may call 999 or 112 in response to a real emergency when it is unsafe or impractical to stop to make the call.

Why the tougher penalties?

Research has shown that if you are using your mobile phone whilst driving you‘re four times more likely to have a crash.

Surveys on road safety were carried out and the outcome showed that over 90% of respondents said it should be illegal to use a hand-held mobile phone while driving.

However, the surveys also show that more than 25% of drivers admit to using a mobile phone behind the wheel. Therefore the new penalties are being put into force to reduce the number of accidents caused through motorists using a mobile at the wheel.

Advice for Motorists

For drivers, make sure you aren’t using your phone behind the wheel, or simply buy a handsfree kit that will allow you to make and take phone calls easily without breaking the law.

For employers, you can be prosecuted if you require employees to make or receive calls while driving. If you need you workers to be accessible all the time, get their cars equipped with handsfree mobile phone kits to ensure their safety is covered and their not breaking the law.

For more information on the new driving laws please visit:

http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk

Regards.

As many know Kaz and I sell mobile phones so I just wanted to clarify a few things.

As far as I know, the law states:

1. you cannot hold a mobile phone while driving

2. you cannot use a mobile while supervising someone whom is driving

3. force someone to use a mobile while driving

I asume that this means that you can use a handsfree with a wire, e.g. the normal one you get with most mobiles. you could also put the phone on speaker?

is this right?

Well seeing as they replaced all the traffic cops with speed cameras, I doubt there will any increase in the number of people pulled over for using their phone while driving. It's all very well making it illegal, but if there's no one to enforce it, it's pretty pointless.

I always use speakerphone or a hands free if I have to take a call, but generally don't answer until I'm stationary.I've nearly been crashed into on too many occasions by idiots jabbering into their phones and not being in control of their vehicle. :crying:

I stopped all my van drivers using mobile phones whilst driving some time ago, it is now viewed as gross misconduct if they do.

I eventually got it through to them that it wasn't a matter of the £30 fine, should you injure or, heaven forbid, kill someone on the road whilst using a phone, the chances are that you would not just be banned from driving for a considerable time, but could also face a prison sentence for causing death by dangerous driving or even manslaughter. It is quite easy to check if you were using the phone at the time of the accident.

This seems to have worked

Dont actually agree with the law really. Research showed that it was actually the talking that distracted people not holding the phone. (Unless your texting)

Surely its about time they started banning smoking in cars as its already illegal to eat and drink.

Think firms who expect their workers to use mobile phones on a day to day basis should provide them with handsfree solutions to stay within the law. Alot of firms dont sadly!

Think until they clamp down on people without MOT's, Tax and Insurance they shouldn't bother introducing laws like this. Dont agree with it what so ever, despite the fact ive made plenty of money from it.

I've heard that they can pull you over if your even using a handsfree kit if you look like you're not paying full attention to the road.

What a load of bollocks!! :tsktsk: Are they going to fine you next for talking to your passengers or singing along to the radio.

I've also noticed alot more police on the roads today too. Quite a few coppers on motorbikes parked up around town watching the traffic.

I've heard that they can pull you over if your even using a handsfree kit if you look like you're not paying full attention to the road.

What a load of bollocks!! :tsktsk: Are they going to fine you next for talking to your passengers or singing along to the radio.

I've also noticed alot more police on the roads today too. Quite a few coppers on motorbikes parked up around town watching the traffic.

Easy pickings though in it mate?! Anybody would think they are on commision!

£60 and 3 points is useless !!

Should be £1,000 and a spell behind bars !!...

For what? Talking? They don't even fine you that much for No MOT or Insurance. You're UNLUCKY to get that fine if you stole a car!

Get them copers off the damn highway and on the streets. Deaths by driving are getting lower every year. More and More are using the phone while driving, can you see a corolation? I can't!

I totally agree with most of what has been said - it's a completely unnecessary addition to the existing laws.

People shouldn't use phones while driving, especially manual drivers, but then why can you hold a cigarette? If in an emergency I needed to drop one, I know I'd rather drop the lump of plastic than the stick of fire!

Nobody gets any punishment for real motoring offences, no MOTs etc, just whatevers an easy target - although that's similar to the CO2 emission laws as well. Older cars have much worse emissions than even quite large engined modern cars - so seems we're only taxed if you're wealthy enough to have a new large engined car, but if you've got an old car you're fine......what's that got to do with the environment?

Having said all that though, I don't really believe there's any excuse for not going handsfree, its not difficult or expensive, so if raising the penalty is the only way to stop morons holding the steering wheel with their knees as they change gear, then I'm all for it :)

smoking should be next saw old chappy today massive bloody pipe

in his 1 hand trying to light it

with is other he lights it big cloud of smoke in his face :blink:

but he had full concentration on the road not like us morons who answer a phone :winky:

more crap laws

LMAO i saw a policeman in a marked car with a phone by his ear whilst pulling out of a t junction in spalding last month!

i personally think that there are a lot more dangerous things people do whilst driving so why pick on the mobile?

because its like a speeding ticket, easy money because most people do it! although i'm not saying i condone either

if it wasnt for the money why dont they say six points and no fine? its not asif 60 quid realy bothers anyone?!?

When i used to work for the police (not as an officer), we were provided with Bluetooth kits (civies and police personnel) to use in our cars. Well so long as you asked for one. Also due to the department i was in, i also had a police radio and you can use those at the same time as driving. No hands free, worked as a phone or a push to talk. I suppose they could do fellows workers for driving without due care and attention. Also if you look it into more closely, its not so much the phone thats been banded its devices that operate on the public radio spectrum for mobiles and radios, hence making it only legal for police to still use their radios whilest driving as they use a different digital radio spectrum.

This law, and the previous one banning use of mobile phones, has introduced a much more common occurrence of bad driving.

The phone goes off and the driver realises they don't have handsfree ready.

They then answer it normally and say "just a second", and now they're in a rush to get it all connected.

This is now their top priority. Get the kit connected before the person gets annoyed and hangs up.

The priority order is now 1) handsfree kit 2) phone call 3) driving

It's a sad fact, but pretty true, I think.

Fortunately my new motorola K1 came with a Bluetooth handset which connects and accepts the call as soon as you open it.

My previous Bluetooth headsets required you to hold a button for x seconds or something.

That's even if Bluetooth is turned on on the phone. If it's not, then it's a dangerous 10 seconds of menu navigation.

If it's not a Bluetooth headset then the fiddly connect causes just as much distraction.

If people were better prepared to accept the call on handsfree as soon as they were in the car then at least two accidents I've seen, and stopped to help sort out afterwards, would have been avoided.

Just my two pence worth on a knock on effect of this legislation that isn't often thought about.

The way i read it is........It doesn't matter if you have a hands free/or bluetooth,if the police think you are not in proper control of the vehile/not concentrating they can still issue the fixed penalty/points.

That's the case no matter what the situation is.

Due care and attention, it falls under, IIRC.

The way i read it is........It doesn't matter if you have a hands free/or bluetooth,if the police think you are not in proper control of the vehile/not concentrating they can still issue the fixed penalty/points.

That's the case no matter what the situation is.

Due care and attention, it falls under, IIRC.

So can you use Handsfree kits? I have a Bluetooth one with just a click it answers simple as, no fiddling etc.. is this all illegal now??? I do a fair bit of driving around now, an as i'm self employed only I can take my calls :(

I'm afraid so :o ...it depends how the police would view it at the time.

It is not illega to use handsfree kits, be it Bluetooth or using a good old fashioned wire. The in simple terms is; basically physically holding the phone whilst in control of a motor vehicle. In control meaning if the engine is running whether your stationery or in motion.

HANDSFREE KITS ARE NOT ILLEGAL!

Correct they are not illegal but if the officer seeing/following you decides you are not paying attention it falls under the due care and attention law...so its his word against yours...and who will win that arguement!!

The police every time...i just wont do it anymore, thats the safest way.

Correct they are not illegal but if the officer seeing/following you decides you are not paying attention it falls under the due care and attention law...so its his word against yours...and who will win that arguement!!

The police every time...i just wont do it anymore, thats the safest way.

But the handsfree kit is completely irrelevant to your argument.

They could see you adjusting your rear view mirror and say the same thing, or just say it for the sake of it (I've had that happen, it was ridiculous. I don't know what I did to catch their attention, but they were happy to just plain lie).

Either way, I don't think you should advocate that it's best to just not use it, I really think that's a bit OTT.

I perfectly respect your choice to do so, and your reasons - as everyone should - but people here *cough* make a living it seems selling this kind of stuff, and I wouldn't want potential customers to be in doubt.

The law is related specifically to hold a mobile phone.

If you use a handsfree kit you are fine, but please remember to not let it distract you from the road.

There are other laws related to due care and attention, but it's not because you were using a handsfree kit, but rather that you were driving like a complete tit :P

(I have no idea when I got so wrapped up an issue I really don't care much about, :D )

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links