Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi, I am new to Lexus so I am trying to find my feet on them at the moment. Can anyone tell me if my '96 GS300 Sport is OBD2? If it is, where can I find the diagnostic socket to plug a reader in to?

Cheers

Rick

Hi, I am new to Lexus so I am trying to find my feet on them at the moment. Can anyone tell me if my '96 GS300 Sport is OBD2? If it is, where can I find the diagnostic socket to plug a reader in to?

Cheers

Rick

Not sure about the Mk1 but Mk2 has plug on drivers side down by the bonnet release at the bottom of the steering column, there is also a Toyota one under the bonnet but Toyotas own configuration. Not sure what year it came in but after a certain year all manufacuters were obliged to fit OBD sockets as standard.

Thanks for the reply. I think OBD2 became mandatory in '96. Although mine is first registered in Aug '96, it doesn't neccesarily mean it was built then unfortunately. Is the plug under the dash concealed behind anything or is it obvious if you find it?

Thanks for the reply. I think OBD2 became mandatory in '96. Although mine is first registered in Aug '96, it doesn't neccesarily mean it was built then unfortunately. Is the plug under the dash concealed behind anything or is it obvious if you find it?

That's the problem just about every vehicle has the plug in a different hiding place. Most Vauxhals are in the centre console, Fords hide them every and anywhere depending on model

There is a little cutout in the panel under the steering column to thge left of the bonnet release, socket has a plastic cap over it.

OBD2 was mandatory in USA from 1996, but not until 2001 for Europe.

I reckon your 96 Sport is OBD1 and you may have two diagnostic ports (one on top of the engine) and another underneath the dashboard.