Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2000 Ls400 Precertified Disappointment

I purchased a Lexus "precertified" 2000 LS400 12-02-02 for 37000.00 from a "reputable" Lexus dealer in Wilmington DE. The car had 29600k on the odometer. I am a member of the Cadillac Lasalle Club, Valley Forge Region Cadillac Club, Auto Club of America ,and Jaguar Club. I leased a 1999 Lexus RX300, own a 1998 Honda Accord EXV6, 2002 Acura MDX and a 1978 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz(with only 25,000k). Needless to say, I love cars and taking care of them. I bought a 2000 LS400 on 12-02-02. During the purchase, I relied on the verbal, written and implied promises of Lexus. All along the way, I was told not to worry "it is Lexus certified". I raised some concerns and my fears of buying a used car were met with comments to decrease my fears agai

n and again. I am a physician(not a rich one), and I rely on the honesty of others. When I picked the car up, it was in the service department illuminated by the lights of another car. With the assurances of-take the car, drive it, make a list and we will address concerns at the first service, I signed off on the car and drove off confidently. I parked the LS400 in my garage and continued to drive my Honda. I cleaned the car up (my clean up standards are higher than most), and found many alarming things. The front grill was damaged. The alloys were scrubbed down to the metal, leaving pitting and an uneven appearance. As I bought the car in the winter, I assumed the alloys would clean up as promised. There were multiple paint nicks. Not to worry, the car was certified and my concerns would be addressed. They were not. I was told that all of these concerns met Lexus standards. I had driven the car less than 300k at the point that I sent it back to be looked at. They charged me 20.00 for touch up paint. After I raised concerns, I did not receive any calls or letters from the dealership offering support of any type. Even when I asked for a copy of certification standards, my request was not met for over two weeks. When the info arrived, it came in ,what appeared to be, a used manilla envelope-not the nice stationery I received before the purchase. I had the car looked at by two independent auto experts and both agree the appearance of the alloys is poor and they are surprised that a damaged grill would pass Lexus standards. There is more. When I had to use the wipers for the first time, they screeched across the glass and scratched the windshield permanently. Dracula's centuries old coffin opens and closes more quietly than my driver's door. The LCD lights in the radio display flicker. The driver's side leather is worn and did not clean up as promised. I know that life's lessons come the hard way, but I never thought that I would learn one from Lexus. I trusted the promises of certification to "exacting standards" and customer satisfaction. While I asked all of the right questions, the assurances I was given were empty. If I were to sell this car to another, I would point out these issues. I expect the same in return-from Lexus. I would not consider buying a used car from any other dealer. Now I will never buy another used car again. I love Lexus cars. While I will never set foot in the Wilmington showroom again, I still know that these cars are the best in the world. Their representation depends on the dealer. Am I wrong? I feel like I have been swindled by just another used car pusher who is willing to say anything to get you to sign. To fix my concerns will exceed 3000. Unfortunately, the L stamped on my forehead does not stand for Lexus. I have notified the main customer # of my concerns and I await a reply. This is the first time in my life that I have found myself writing letters. If I have posted this in the wrong place, I hope it can be forwarded to the appropriate location. I am a very slow typist. I look forward to any feedback or advice that other members have. If I need to do more to join this Club, please let me know. Rob Newbrough :angry:

• 2 months later...

and I opened it up again so I could post this!

(sorry Chris - I will close it after me)

Robert

whilst this is an appropriate place for your to post this - you may also wish to post this on;

i - The US Lexus Owners Club forums (http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums)

ii - Additionally, you can also post this as a review of the dealer on our Dealer Review System

I assume that this is Lexus of Wilmington?

If so - This is a direct link to add a dealer review for Lexus of Wilimington in Delaware

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links