Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Correct Tyre Pressure

Mr-Lex

Just had 2 tyres replaced and the bloke at the garage said it was 38 at the back and 36 at the front <_< Seemed a bit high to me but I just let him get on with it. I will check in the manual later.

There is a sticker on the inside of the drivers door.

Just had 2 tyres replaced and the bloke at the garage said it was 38 at the back and 36 at the front  Seemed a bit high to me but I just let him get on with it. I will check in the manual later.

That's roughly what i got told too, but the tyres looked n felt like i was driving 4x4 wheels off-roader.. :lol::lol:

So i reduced the pressure to 33 alway round, feels ok n looks ok too.. (Don't understand the panel on the door - too many numbers :wacko::wacko: )

38!!!!!!!!!! far too high!!!! the decal is easy to understand - lots of numbers because it includes 16" tyres also. heavy load, normal load and different speeds.

as a rule for general everyday driving the pressure is 33PSI front and back.

38!!!!!!!!!!    far to high!!!!   the decal is easy to understand - lots of numbers because it includes 16" tyres also.  heavy load, normal load and different speeds.

as a rule for general everyday driving the pressure is 33PSI front and back.

33 sounds right to me. That's what they were before.

38 does feel like I'm driving a 4X4, :P will be reducing the pressure back down to 33PSI front and back.

• 8 months later...

Right, from what I can gather from the door sticker is 33psi all around?? But when I checked mine, they were set at 38 from the dealer!!

I rang Sanj, he said try 35.. coz its in the middle :lol:

Can someone please confirm what the best setting is? I have the bridgestone tyres fitted by the dealer as standard, and I have the standard 17"s.

are you going by the book, or your personnal experience Col?

Because I've very rarely heard of people sticking to the recommend.

But I got to be a bit more careful now, as these tyres a bit more dearer then my old primeras :lol:

are you going by the book, or your personnal experience Col?

I think that's the book figure but the car seems fine on that setting - I've no need to change. That is with SP9000s. Maybe the Bridgestones work better on another pressure.

On the GS I lower it slightly to get a better ride.

Maybe the Bridgestones work better on another pressure.

Ah... Well the dealer did set to 38.. anyone with Bridgestones?

And when should I get them switched :question: (fronts to backs & vice versa)

Maybe the Bridgestones work better on another pressure.

Ah... Well the dealer did set to 38.. anyone with Bridgestones?

And when should I get them switched :question: (fronts to backs & vice versa)

If you rotate them then they will all wear evenly - expensive when you need to replace all 4

If you rotate them then they will all wear evenly - expensive when you need to replace all 4

surely its cheaper (price per tyre) to buy 4 tyres then 2?

And roughly after how many miles, should you rotate them?

:question: and what about tyre pressures in dry and wet conditions... does less pressure give more grip in wet road conditions? :whistling:

I tend to check wear on the tyres also... If they're inflated a lot they'll wear out more in the middle of the tyre when driving at high speeds. So when I notice that I deflate them a bit to get them to wear out more on the outsides.

Hard inflated tyres also give more mileage... :yawn:

Greetz

Personally I think 38 is too high for this time of year. Too easy to lose the back end.

isnt that what T/C is for?

I have felt a scared taking onto the motorway in rain at certain times...

But i thought that was more to do with not having a RWD before

T/C isn't boy wonder since it will allow in certain situations to keep in control without the back end sliding out.

If, however, you turn in hard on a wet road surface, T/C on, and your back does break out, you'll need all the steering skills you have to keep it from spinning 180° SINCE YOU WILL LOOSE ACCELERATOR CONTROL due to the fact that that's just what the T/C does : it cuts the juice! NOT GOOD, in certain situations.

I prefer to drive with T/C on when I'm cruising and will not engage in hard turning.

Though I prefer to have T/C off if I would want it to be "possible" for the car to break out controllably since then you can manage the sliding by accelerator.

All this is quite difficult & tricky if you first start driving rwd cars. It would be nice to look for an large empty lot on a wet day to start experimenting with the different effects of turning and drifting, using T/C and without T/C.

I have always driven rwd cars and if you're in it for the sport and enjoyment of driving and don't see your car merely as a means of transportation, then you might find rwd the only way! :winky:

Greetz

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links