Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Ls400 Failed Mot

adz

Hi Guys

As the title says my Lex went for its MOT today and failed on emissions.

It was high last year but some fuel treatment sorted it out but this year it 's being more stubborn.

The garage I use are trying to give it a run tomorrow, and hoping to bring the readings down, but i'm not too optimistic.

I'm thinking maybe Cats or a Lambda sensor but the garage admit they can't diagnose it and don't want to randomly change sensors/ ecu's.

Is it best to take it Lexus (Nottingham) if the treatment doesn't work, and will they be able to make an accurate diagnosis?

Sorry about all the questions, feeling a bit panicky :crying: .

Hi to everyone by the way, i've not been in for a while.

Regards

Adz :winky:

A little bit related to emissions but not to lexus, got a phone call from my mum today her 2005 Fiesta has failed the mot on emissions!! its only done 31,000

Cant believe it!

Just thought i would pop that it there!!

Mat

A little bit related to emissions but not to lexus, got a phone call from my mum today her 2005 Fiesta has failed the mot on emissions!! its only done 31,000

Cant believe it!

Mat

There is another way of getting past emissions. Don't stick the prob right up the pipe, But just wave it near the exhuats for a reading. That's what 99.9% of MOT stations do to get their race cars through. The whole system is rubbish. I have some race cars which are not on the VSOH list and can't pass the emissions test. I've got to use a later model which has the cat in place and makes the cars fail on it. Very annoying, But know how to get around it.

It's a case of who you know, Not what you know. VOSH need to update their car list and sort it out.

If you lived in Wales I could sort it out for you.

What we do to lower emissions is to add some Forte engine treatment and floor the arse of the car for a while before the MOT. Use the overdrive and power button to get the revs up. It's funny how many cars fail the MOT emissions due to the fact they are not hard driven. We have a few micras who belong to old people and never get hard driven until the MOT time.

• 3 months later...

Cant believe it!

Mat

There is another way of getting past emissions. Don't stick the prob right up the pipe, But just wave it near the exhuats for a reading. That's what 99.9% of MOT stations do to get their race cars through. The whole system is rubbish. I have some race cars which are not on the VSOH list and can't pass the emissions test. I've got to use a later model which has the cat in place and makes the cars fail on it. Very annoying, But know how to get around it.

It's a case of who you know, Not what you know. VOSH need to update their car list and sort it out.

What we do to lower emissions is to add some Forte engine treatment and floor the arse of the car for a while before the MOT. Use the overdrive and power button to get the revs up. It's funny how many cars fail the MOT emissions due to the fact they are not hard driven. We have a few micras who belong to old people and never get hard driven until the MOT time.

Cant believe it!

Mat

Not puttting the probe right up the exhaust wont work on an emmision test in the uk as the machine will sense the extra oxygen & fail the car automatically. The only way i know to cheat it is to have a car with ok emmisions parked next to the one being tested & to put the probe up that instead !!

Very risky tho & not really the right thing to do either.

Cant believe it!

Mat

Don't SAY that! We've just inherited a 17K/5 year old Micra from a 90 year old! (AND it has lots of scratches/dent and is in Flip-flop paint!!) Still, at least folk keep clear!

• 1 year later...

Hello,

Bloody emissions......bloody government.....they dont tell the aircraft industry to stick a probe up their pipes......

Well, I've not been on for a while as my 93 LS400 has been fine for a year or so, but as u can see i now have several problems at once and the emissions bill could kill the car........

You see, its a K plate and over 5 years I have spent around 1500 on the car, most of the front suspension control arms have been replaced, the blinking dash syndrome was fixed, p/s leak fixed, servicing etc

The engine seems to be A1 (apart from the engine warning light giving me 3 error codes that are all air related) and still drives superb.

But this MOT has thrown me a few problems.

- The o/s/f upper control arm needs to be replaced at £400 + labour, (both lowers were replaced but like the tight arse i am, i only got 1 upper arm replaced 2 yrs ago!and its all coming back to haunt me now)

- Brake pipe has rusted a hole in itself (a long pipe running between the rear wheels), but Lexus quoted only £30 for this inc fluid??? whilst this is done, i need the calipers servicing and pads all round, and h/brake tightening (already got caliper kit and pads) but i can imagine a few hours labour for these jobs

- 2 tyres need replacing and 4 wheels need sorting for slow leaks due to age

- Warning for both rear upper suspension arms to be replaced soon (@ around 150 each + labour which isnt that bad)

- and finally - the bloody emissions

The garage where its parked says replace the cats but they gotta be having a laugh? The cars only worth around 1000 (if that) and 2 cats exceed that without the rest of the work being done...I can see a £2000+ bill coming...bloody do-gooders!!! obviously dont know about L.O.C then do they

I only seem to come on here and moan i know.....but this site has helped me in the past and i need good advice again this time as again, i cannot be the one to scrap a lexus.....just no way.....i cannot do it

even selling for parts does not sit right with me....the engine is still sound and i can't accept i might have to let it go because of some government green tree hugger sat in his office on a mission to save the planet (even tho' its a natural cycle anyway) and deciding old cars are just dirty and must be binned (to get people to sign up to finance and get into even more debt...yeah right mate!), but aircraft can just stay as they are kicking out a million times more carbon than all the cars in the world put together.

VOSA or TOSsA???? hehehe

I know i need to find a garage who know the score and whose owner hasnt got a top end 58 plate jag.....says it all yeah?

but now the police have auto reg cams, i cant take it all the way back to my home town and a to friendly face....

After all that......how can i get the emissions down a bit?? I was gonna try cleaning all the air intakes and MAF, but noticed on a post that someones O2 sensors packed up after cleaning and his engine ran funny....

I have only basic mechanical skills but have got the effort and willing to try to save my car from its foreseeable doom..

HELP!!!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links