Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Pros & Cons Over Tipronic.

Hey guys,

For about a week now I've been trying out the M mode (Tipronic) on my RS200. At 1st I didn't like it (found it a bit confusing), but now I love it.

Reason:

1. Easy to gears down when going around corners.

2. It give u a feeling of more control over your car.

3. And it just plain old fun to use :P.

What are your feeling when it comes to Tipronic mode? Love it or hate it?

It can be unpredictable, when I was blatting round the ring I found it safer to leave it in full auto mode as you can "predict" when the kick down will come in etc. I felt there was too much chance of an unwanted burst of ooomph in e-shift mode. I do use it for additional breaking though at time :)

I use it a lot to avoid kick down, if you select the highest gear that the car can use to keep in the "power band" when cornering it will stay in the gear you want. Also using the tip stops changing up when you lift off to brake between corners.

So in short yes it is better than full auto.

Use it every day.... actually wearing down the buttons ... lol

tiptronic change is way quicker than full auto's

But the best part is you have a car than will never stall, pulling out off a junction just floor it and your gone, turning right across traffic with confidence, small gap and you away ... their just about to flash their lights at you but realise your already gone......I LOVE IT

would be perfect if you could actually lock it into a certain gear when desired.... rolling road etc

Thats the problem though, it only limits the highest gear you can shift to, so you can get unexpected shoft downs etc. Very dodge when the crash barrier is only 2m away and £1000/metre to fix LOL :) Hence why I decided auto was safer :) On day-to-day roads and burning around it is fun though - Just be careful :)

Depends on what you want it for. Tiptronic is alright to a point - the only thing is on models such as the Lex it's not foolproof. I don't like flappy paddle gearboxes at all - driven a few and never really had a good experience with one. Found they were either broken, dim-witted, too harsh, not quick enough and so on. Just for the record, the stupidest flappy paddle system ever is in a Smart. Has anyone else ever used them? Damn they're ghastly.

I'd say if you want a car where you can select what gear you want, forget a tiptronic and buy a manual, if you want a car where it just drives itself, buy an auto.

Keith :)

Thats the problem though, it only limits the highest gear you can shift to, so you can get unexpected shoft downs etc.
I agree, it would be much better if you actually chose the gear yourself. The Lex system is pretty useless, I reckon, so I just basically just shove it into "D" and leave the auto box to do its job.

Thats the problem though, it only limits the highest gear you can shift to, so you can get unexpected shoft downs etc.
I agree, it would be much better if you actually chose the gear yourself. The Lex system is pretty useless, I reckon, so I just basically just shove it into "D" and leave the auto box to do its job.

Maybe the system on the LEXUS is different to an RS200 but when i first got the car i would agree with what your saying about unpredicable down shifts, but after awhile you learn what it's shift up and down points are in relation to the current gear and revs and drive accordinly... says i, lots of practice later :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links