Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Meguiars Gold Class Vs Smartwax

Like a few people on here, I have been intrigued by the product 'Smartwax' that I'd never heard of before. I decided to send away for a free sample to see if it was any better than the Meguiars I have been using for a few years. Everyone wants different things out of a product. Because I'm quite particular (the word obsessive has been thrown around previously) of how my car looks, I want the ultimate in performance and will not settle for any less than the best!

Just to clarify, these are my own experiences and I do not work for or represent Meguiars!

I polished the bonnet and roof in Smartwax and the boot lid in Meguiars for a side to side comparison

Out of the box the Smartwax is a clear winner. It's a nice pretty pink colour with a really nice marzipan kind of smell. Compared to the brown slop in a Meguiars bottle, Smartwax has it whipped. Mind you, I'm not so fussy about what it looks or smells like, I would clean the car in algae if it got a nice finish and I'm not really one for bending over and smelling the paintwork so it's not really important.

I applied the Smartwax to the bonnet, roof and mirrors and it goes on well, easy to apply and good coverage. I was impressed with how well and quickly it dried and I could take it off, and was even more impressed with how easily and quickly it comes off leaving little residue. However although Meguiars is more tiresome to apply, it comes off just as well and there are no bits of white residue.

The SW leaves the surface clean but nowhere near as smooth and glass-like as the Meguiars. I stood looking and comparing the two surfaces for ages trying to work out what the difference was. Both products bring the paint to a nice shine but whereas the SW just seems to lighten the paint by giving a nice shine, the Meguiars deepens the colour and gives a deep, rich colour and that wins hands down for me. Running the back of my hand over both surfaces leaves me in no doubt that SW is good, but for ultimate performance Meguiars still has the field all to itself - by a long margin.

So would I buy the Smartwax? If I was looking for a product that could give a nice finish quickly, I'd buy it like a shot. It wipes the floor with Autoglym and Turtlewax, but then in my opinion, so does polishing your car with hairspray and paint thinner.

It's easier, quicker and cheaper than Meguiars but at the end of the day, you get what you pay for and your pay for what you get. If you want the best, buy Meguiars Gold Class. If you want a clean and tidy car without the hassle, buy the Smartwax (or better still buy the Meguiars Tech Wax).

Overall, I can't see a reason to choose Smartwax over Meguiars and I won't be changing anytime soon.

Keith :)

Smashing write up Keith, I use Maguires (also Mothers) so good to hear sombody elses opinion.

Nice one

Doesn't look as if I'll get to do a comparison. Pinnacle emailed to say the SW had been despatched four days ago...so far it hasn't made it to my door :angry:

Smashing write up Keith, I use Maguires (also Mothers) so good to hear sombody elses opinion.

Nice one

Doesn't look as if I'll get to do a comparison. Pinnacle emailed to say the SW had been despatched four days ago...so far it hasn't made it to my door :angry:

If you can afford it I wouldn't mind a comparison with Zymol...... :whistling: ...only joking that stuff costs a fortune.

good write up mate.

for me and my white IS, depth of colour is not overly important, shine is. So on that basis, the Smartwax sounds like it could be good for me.

Never waxed/polished my car before (due to the fact its white), always washed, clayed and applied sealant, and its always looked great!! is it just a case of washing the car, rubbing the smartwax in, letting it dry, wipe it off, job done??

BTW, still not recieved my SW yet either.....

cheers

rob

Nice one

If you can afford it I wouldn't mind a comparison with Zymol...... :whistling: ...only joking that stuff costs a fortune.

That's on my list to try - when I'm back from my holiday I will try some and let you know the results.

good write up mate.

for me and my white IS, depth of colour is not overly important, shine is. So on that basis, the Smartwax sounds like it could be good for me.

Never waxed/polished my car before (due to the fact its white), always washed, clayed and applied sealant, and its always looked great!! is it just a case of washing the car, rubbing the smartwax in, letting it dry, wipe it off, job done??

cheers

rob

Rob,

Agreed. You won't benefit from Meguiars. Smartwax should do a good job on white - it gives a nice shine - perfect for a white car.. Basically that's all it is yeah. Ensure the surface is prepped with clay - a majorly important (but oh so often overlooked) step and then stick the polish on. Job's a good 'un. Consider a good coat of Meguiars Scratch X before the polish - it removes all microswirls and small scratches.

Keith

good write up mate.

cheers

rob

My car is white and I think you can get some depth in the colour (Not as much as a dark car) I have only used Meguirs so can't vouch for Smartwax. I just think "The devil you know.... You really should try to get some polish & wax on it. It makes it so much easier later on to just give it a wash & leather as the wax protects it and the dirt ends up on top of the layer of wax, not the paint.

med_gallery_5231_5_102330.jpg