Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sky Broadband

P4UL T

I will be moving house next month (at last) and will be getting bb for the first time :blush:

I will also getting sky HD and was thinking of using their bb service.

It was only the other day that someone told me that their sky bb service was crap and kept breaking down, just wondered if this is a common problem with sky or just a one off?

Thanks guys

Paul

i have been with the ten pound one and its on 24/7 playing and downloading the line has only crashed once and it was only off for a couple of hours but the modem/router crashes at leased 1-2 times a week very common and you have to check how far you are from the exchange as the closer you are the faster it will be i am about 1.2 mile away and am only getting around 2meg and it should be 10 meg

Thats usually gonna be the deal with the "bundled" or so called "free" BB.............you will suffer with slower speeds, particularly at peak times as the bandwidth isnt there to cope.

I'm still paying quite a high price for my BB (£24 / month) but its a reliable service (never had an issue in 4 years) and I never suffer from slower speeds (Minimum I have had is 7Mg and line is only Max 8 Meg) - I'm just short of 2 miles away form the exchange. I use mine as part of my business and to log onto remote networks - so I need it to be fast and reliable 24/7.

The company are so confident that they dont sign you up to any 12 month contracts like the others - Just 1 month contract so you can leave whenever you want to....and their support is second to no-one (they have UK based people who actually know what they are talking about - not reading from scripts)

Its usually in this area that the cheaper ones are lacking (after all the support needs to be paid for)

As with anything....you usually get what you pay for ......but given I'm paying £15-20 more a month it depends whether you think its worth it.......If the odd speed loss doesnt bother you and it seems to be pretty reliable given the above posts then for the money its quite a bargain....

Hi P4UL T

I have been with Sky BB for about 5 months, the only problem i find is getting in to email at around 4-5pm or as the the school kids

start logging in the bandwidth is eaten up and it can take a few long seconds logging in.

If your looking for a BB supplier in your area try www.samknows.com put in your post code and telephone number

and check out who has a reasonable connection speed on your exchange.

I live about 100yds from my local exchange so my £10 per month Sky BB gets me 17.8MB connection better than anyone else i know.

Infinity.......

If you're in a cabled area, have you considered Virgin? I have the 4meg BB, and have never had anything less than 3.7meg - plus it's always on which I prefer........

Great price too, think i pay £33/month for TV, phone and BB

The trouble with the above link is that it doesnt take into account the actual speed of the line the customer has ordered.

Eg. Zen appears to have only a medium rating with speeds of only just above 2Mg......However, thats probably because most people on Zen choose only to have a 2Mg line.

The link below compares Zen against the others in terms of various criteria - not just speed. The speed chart is also more indicative of the actual service you are paying for vs what you are getting.

Speed isnt always everything - no good having a fast line if its only up 70% of the time - and if you do get a problem - you need decent customer service so that its resolved quickly.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/compare....;commit=Compare

Theres links on the site to compare most of the main broadband suppliers too should you want to pick different ones.

Dont want cable tv tho, in my opinion sky is the best for tv

How do you mean? Picture quality on cable is much better, and except for the few HD channels, what else do you get on Sky? Plus it's a lot cheaper, and V+ is better than Sky+........

I recently went over to SKY Broadband after doing loads of research but it was only based on people's views, not my own experiences.

Been on SKY 16Meg for about 3 months and so far all been okay. Don't get the full 16Meg but then who does unless you want to pay mental price for dedicated service. I've noticed that you realise higher speeds when downloading big content. For example, downloading email seems to take a few seconds to get going but when using P2P, then it will come down at 9 or 10 Meg.

For the price and bundled package, I think its worth it. Not had to deal with their customer service yet!!

Dont want cable tv tho, in my opinion sky is the best for tv

How do you mean? Picture quality on cable is much better, and except for the few HD channels, what else do you get on Sky? Plus it's a lot cheaper, and V+ is better than Sky+........

Dunno, never been a fan of cable, always loved sky, suppose you get used to what you got

Plus too many people I know have had trouble with them ( that was when they were NTL, dont know what Virgin are like)?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links