Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Sturtters And Now Engin Light Is On Help!

Motsey

hi i have a lexus is200 and a few days ago it start stuttering when pressing the accelerator and a bit weird when standing still like it was missing a beat

happened a few weeks ago but only for about 15min here n there and stopped but now seems to have come back and this morning the engine light flashed for about a min and went then back agin 5min later

i then drove it home late yesterday evening and its weird light didnt come on for about 2mins then came on permently

then about 10min laters the TRC OFF light came on which i thought was weird

and then another 5-10mins the engin light started flashing

scarying me now defo gonna take it into a garage but anyone know a good garage local to woking/surrey where i can take it to?

-Thanks

• 1 month later...
Hi Motsey,

Did you ever figure out what was wrong? Exactly the same thing has happened to mine tonight.

If you still have the problem Toyota in Sandhurst are great and very helpfull.

Mine will be going in very shortly!!!

Cheers

it was the ignition coil, anyone know a good place to get a cheap one from?

-Thanks

• 2 months later...

any body got any more info on this topic? same symptoms have happened to mine tonight. is there any way i could test the coil as problem above? as dont really wanna shoot in the dark on this coz am currently not working.

Take the coil packs out and physically examine, for signs of damage. Dont buy one secondhand just asking for trouble. buy one and them replace one at atime until u find the bad one

any body got any more info on this topic? same symptoms have happened to mine tonight. is there any way i could test the coil as problem above? as dont really wanna shoot in the dark on this coz am currently not working.

If you take to a garage that can read the codes, it will tell you the one it is :D

Other than that, try what Dan has just said, change each coil pack at a time, until you find the duff one.

thanx guys. am just hoping now it is this coil pack problem.

so there are 6 separate packs?? also my car is a 1999 se- read somewhere about obd 2 code reader being used on all cars after my2000? will mine have this system?

Yes 6 coil packs mate. your car will be ok for the code reader :D

thanx guys. am just hoping now it is this coil pack problem.

so there are 6 separate packs?? also my car is a 1999 se- read somewhere about obd 2 code reader being used on all cars after my2000? will mine have this system?

Yes 6 coil packs mate. your car will be ok for the code reader :D

Sorry didn't know there was a way to diagnose the issue electronically! Well there isn't over in Ireland for Altezza's, its just the ol' trial and error procedure!

thanx. this is so helpfull! seeing all the flashing lights on the dash looked expensive. not lookin as bad as i 1st thort with after investigation on here. the bugger is tho still gotta wait til mond at the earliest b4 i can get new parts.

am i rite in thinking the coils can be brought separately for about £80 or so?

also is this an easy diy fix? i dont have an obd2. will get it read tho incase its something else. presume also when i find which coil/coils is the problem i change and just disconnect Battery to reset ecu and therefore everything else- warning lights, sensors etc.

thanx. this is so helpfull! seeing all the flashing lights on the dash looked expensive. not lookin as bad as i 1st thort with after investigation on here. the bugger is tho still gotta wait til mond at the earliest b4 i can get new parts.

am i rite in thinking the coils can be brought separately for about £80 or so?

also is this an easy diy fix? i dont have an obd2. will get it read tho incase its something else. presume also when i find which coil/coils is the problem i change and just disconnect battery to reset ecu and therefore everything else- warning lights, sensors etc.

Yep about £80 new, but you might want to post on here to see if anyone has a good one about for you to try.

Is not hard to change a coil pack.

When and if you take your car to a garage for the code to be read, reset you ECU before you take it, as this will clear any old faults you may have had. Yes when you put the new parts in reset the ECU again.

ive got a big box full of coil packs .....

ok monster thanx may be in touch- they new? for sale?

update on prob with car is after some investigation am gonna change spark plugs. its possible they need doin anyway after possibly 25k!!? wont hurt anyway. kno lexus say 60k but seem to have 2 cylinders not firing properly so its hopefully gonna be cheaper and also if i do need coils will indicate for sure. coils dont seem to be damaged either. got a diagnostis check (£45) with no codes reading although engine light was flashing before i turned engine off.

ok monster thanx may be in touch- they new? for sale?

update on prob with car is after some investigation am gonna change spark plugs. its possible they need doin anyway after possibly 25k!!? wont hurt anyway. kno lexus say 60k but seem to have 2 cylinders not firing properly so its hopefully gonna be cheaper and also if i do need coils will indicate for sure. coils dont seem to be damaged either. got a diagnostis check (£45) with no codes reading although engine light was flashing before i turned engine off.

well. update update time!

fitted 6 new spark plugs and problems persisted, although was running a lot smoother and idled well when warm. took to garage and bloke had a nifty little gun temperature reader- to read exhaust manifold temperatures. result is 3 were normal 120C, 2 low 60c and 1 really high over 200c. so goin on the fact that the temperatures were also read at the time of diagnostic check and that the 2 cylinders that were runnnig low temperatures were different i have now changed 2 coils pack. couldnt afford 2 new ones- lexus wanted £91.24 + vat and cheapest i could find was £85 + vat. so looked round locally and found a written of IS and had a couple off there for £35 all inc. after leavin Battery off for 30mins or so reconnected. car started perfectly no engine light or TC lights flashing so fingers crossed its sorted.

thanx for all ya help chaps. would of been a hefty old bill otherwise!!

• 9 months later...

hi im a new member to lexus club i have a is200 my engine lights have come on with fault codes p0300,p0301,p0302,p0304 witch is multiple misfire on cyl 1,2,4 could this be

down to the pencil coils ive changed the plugs as you have a box of them how much would you want for 3 of them & do they all work

hi i have a lexus is200 and a few days ago it start stuttering when pressing the accelerator and a bit weird when standing still like it was missing a beat

happened a few weeks ago but only for about 15min here n there and stopped but now seems to have come back and this morning the engine light flashed for about a min and went then back agin 5min later

i then drove it home late yesterday evening and its weird light didnt come on for about 2mins then came on permently

then about 10min laters the TRC OFF light came on which i thought was weird

and then another 5-10mins the engin light started flashing

scarying me now defo gonna take it into a garage but anyone know a good garage local to woking/surrey where i can take it to?

-Thanks

hi im new member just looked at the problems you had with your is200 i have simular fault but multiple misfire on cyl 1,2,4 when you changed your pencil coils did it solve

your problems

Sounds like the coil packs to me.

Welcome as well mate,

Stav

thanks is it posible for them to go all at some time cos i came back from work car ran fine them an hour later went to the shops it had misfire with engine lights & traction light

flashing

Sounds like the coil packs to me.

Welcome as well mate,

Stav

thanks is it posible for them to go all at some time cos i came back from work car ran fine them an hour later went to the shops it had misfire with engine lights & traction light

flashing