Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I see Top Gear's attempt to demonstrate the auto parking feature on the LS600h echoed the concerns discussed a while back about just how safe and easy to use this is.

I wouldn't want to put £80k of motor on trust like that.

To be fair, they were explaining how old duffers could have trouble using the system by not being able to read and understand the instruction manual...

So they were deliberately not using it correctly..

Also, did you notice how small the gap was that it was supposed to get into..... pretty good effort considering the only way to gt into that space would have been sidewards !

John

the system works perfectly and ive seen it in action myself.Top gear were making a point as Einstein said,its certainly going to catch some people out especially people who have issues with technology.Thats the one thing i dont like about Top gear, they seem to have a habit of mis informing or over exaggerating issues when discussing features on cars they for some reason dont like or approve off,it gets a little tiresome listening to some of the so called facts they spout out,which a lot of the time turn out to be untrue,its as if they have hidden agendas when discussing certain makes/models.

It didn't make the technology good at all...and that huge manual just made it look naff, over designed and gimmicky...not a good advert for the car, the make or the technology...though we all know it does work. The gap was too small, Hamsetr had mis programmed it, and so what was it all about? ENTERTAINMENT. It's the problem with AI - it does what you tell it to.

This was almost like when the showed the footage of the Radar cruise on the S class when it rammed into the back of another car...now TG think it's a great invention... :question:

Personally I think that the car should have told the driver that it couldn't be parked in a small gap like that one...and known that there was a wire mesh/obstacle (AKA the cool wall), then it would have been really cool...

I suppose that the bottom line is how lazy do you have to be to use that feature :question: With the wonderful rear view camera in a Lexus, add a front Camera of equal quality, and surely you wouldn't need anything else if you have Audible too? It would be a sinch...especilly if the AI just told you that the space was too tight...

They should have saved the cash and given us IS drivers Auto locking!! Far more useable in everyday life, for a great many more owners who can't afford the LS600h @ £83+k!

I did like that Ferrari 599 though. I think it's the best Ferrari ever (Over Pentium'd or not) :-) - the best looking (retro in a modern way) and just stunning...the Launch control was awesome...

I thought 5th Gear last week was better when they had MLS from 12 LS460's creating a virtual live orchestra. That for me was a much better demostration of the best sound system in the world. In the MLS you really can hear a fret being hit, the pulling of a chord, and the artist breathing. I have many live Classical pieces and it's phenomenal.

And the way they take the mikky of James is unbelievable :shutit:

The Intelligent Park Assist works fine on level ground but what Lexus forgot to do is increase the idle speed when it is selected because if the car cannot climb the gradient on tick over it comes to a hault and when you touch the accelerator the park assist cancels completely .. I find it a bit of a gimmick really

Top Gear is repeated in the week so we can all look.

I was out at a John Hiatt concert; great stuff!

You can also watch it on TV on demand for free, As I watched it tonight.

Blimey John Hiatt, that's a name from the past.

As good as ever, and coming back with a band next year, hopefully.

But, hey Barney.???posting on here at 5.47 A.M.!!? Is Lexus obsession getting to you? :whistling::whistling:

Hi All,

Talking of 600h, has anyone else reviewed things against www.lexus.com to compare UK vs US spec, a few things jump out:

Performance US 0-60 = 5.5s, UK 0-62 = 6.3s, now I know a US gallon is smaller than UK, but methinks it's been de-tuned to get into VED band F.

Price US car up to UK Spec appears to be about $117,000 = £58,500 plus VAT makes nearly £69,000, a little less than the £81,400 in the UK - hmmm

Trouble is these rules appear valid throughout the range.

Your thoughts?

Jon

Blimey John Hiatt, that's a name from the past.

As good as ever, and coming back with a band next year, hopefully.

But, hey Barney.???posting on here at 5.47 A.M.!!? Is Lexus obsession getting to you? :whistling::whistling:

I'd love to say it was utter devotion but sadly nothing more than insomnia, although I'm usually up by 6.00am anyway :whistling:

Pricing up the LS430 a while ago, it was £60k over here, and about £35K in the States for the exact same car.

Rip Off Britain.

Exactly!

So buy me a shotgun and call me bubba... I'm off to Illinois in jan! back in 4 years if I can't convince the wife to stay permamently!

Pricing up the LS430 a while ago, it was £60k over here, and about £35K in the States for the exact same car.

Rip Off Britain.

Exactly!

So buy me a shotgun and call me bubba... I'm off to Illinois in jan! back in 4 years if I can't convince the wife to stay permamently!

Hey. synchronicity-almost! Illinois is adjacent to Indiana, where John Hiatt comes from/lives!(Indianapolis)AND a place you might go to as a car fan! Have fun, BUBBA!! Careful with that 12 bore...... :whistling:

This was almost like when the showed the footage of the Radar cruise on the S class when it rammed into the back of another car...now TG think it's a great invention... :question:

That was found out to be setup, when a worker at mercedes benz was paid alot of money to make the system fail in front of journalists.