Ipod Control Solution For Oem Stereo Is200/300 Finally Found

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@mAltezza

Do you still have these CDs in your internal CD Changer? Your description sounds to me that the electronic is NOT switching to the external mode, because it stuck to the faulty drive.

As we have read from hando, the adapter works on his ERR3 Stereo. He has prob no CDs inside. If you press then the Disc button the electronic goes DIRECTLY from FM to CD1 (external mode)

@SHAHZ

Brilliant :D Good Luck!!!

@Hando

Do you have left CDs in your internal changer?

All the best

Sonnet

@mAltezza

Do you still have these CDs in your internal CD Changer? Your description sounds to me that the electronic is NOT switching to the external mode, because it stuck to the faulty drive.

As we have read from hando, the adapter works on his ERR3 Stereo. He has prob no CDs inside. If you press then the Disc button the electronic goes DIRECTLY from FM to CD1 (external mode)

@SHAHZ

Brilliant :D Good Luck!!!

@Hando

All the best

Sonnet

Cheers mate, just bid on one on eBay.......thanks for sharing this finding with us :)

sonnet, ya do have CDs stuck inside, pain in the ***** to get them out, all the write ups on removing cds are for the top loading players, have no idea what to do now,

Helpppp

Not too sure what your options are in regards to taking out the disks, i suppose if it comes to it you could pick another headunit from eBay :question:.....i think i might just take all my cd's now, knowing my luck i will get an errror the day my grom arrives!

Hi mAltezza,

I will post your problem on the german LOC board. I know that there are quite a few people with a bottom loading stereo. I'm pretty sure that we will find a solution for you.

2 weeks with only FM is an absolutly non going

I'll be back to you - hopefully - soon

Cheers

Sonnet

Cheers mate, no, its 2 weeks with nothing at all, the FM frequencys on the altezza are diffrent, its much lower frequencys so i cant even listen to the radio, been trying to get the cds out all morning, i think its impossible, not having a very good day off, when i got to my garage this morning to wire my new lead, a plank of wood had fallen off the roof of the garage and hit my car, then walked round to the back of the car and found that my dads moped had tipped over and hit my car, so thats 2 nice big scratches on the boot and bumper, then finally wire up the grom and it doesnt work!! can things get any worse?

@Hando

All the best

Sonnet

Just got all the cds out, and tried again but iv still got err3 for some reason, PLz Help

Yes I've still got 3 CD's stuck in my CD player - but I had previously taken the fuse out to try to fix the Err3 and whilst this didn't fix it - it did make the headunit think it didn't have any CD's in it. Sorry mAltezza - not much help to you I'm afraid. :(

Just got all the cds out, and tried again but iv still got err3 for some reason, PLz Help

I know it wont fix your problem, but if you really want your music for the two weeks as a temp fix. Why not use a tape adaptor, till a grom solution can be found for the bottom loader.

Im in the same boat, my bottom loader is f***ed with discs in, very hard to get them out I have tried.

• 2 weeks later...
Does this iterface work with my old IS (IS200, 12/1999, radio 13902, gps, oem amplifier, 8 speakers) ?

Hi powerpuff mookie,

yes it should be! :D

SHAHZ from this board has emailed GromAudio few weeks ago for finding out if the interface works with his stereo from 2000 (bottom loading cd changer).

The answer was positive, speak Grom said the black box will enable this stereo to control the iPod too without any problems :)

@SHAHZ

Have you already received you GromAudio interface? And is it working correctly?

Please refer the this interesting posting - the answer of SHAHZ is reply #11

How To Install The Gromaudio Ipod Adaptor In 1st Gen Is, (also headunit removal)

Cheers

Sonnet

Thanks for your answer, Sonnet.

Every time I see a GROM AUDIO interface installation or use in a Lexus, the Lexus is up to 2001/2002 with the "new" stereo (bottom cd). We just have information from the seller. That's it that makes me affraid.

Another thing that makes me afraid is that both connectors behind my stereo are already connected. How can I insert the interface connector ?

dsc05551smallzb7.jpg

dsc05553smallsv7.jpg

dsc05557smallcd4.jpg

PS : sorry for my rusted english. ;)

But every time I see a GROM AUDIO inetrface in a Lexus, the Lexus is >2002 with the "new" stereo (cd on the top and tape on the middle). That's it who makes me affraid.

This is the reason why I've linked to the post by SHAHZ. Maybe you should contact him directly or over the board to ask him about his experience...

Another thing is that I think both connectors behind the stereo are already used. If yes, how can I insert the interface connector ?

Do you know it or do you thinking it? Best would be to remove the stereo your stereo quickly and check it. The point is, that I'm driving a fully equiped IS300 Sprtcross from 2003 with a 9 speaker stereo, external amp and satnav and even in my car only one harness on the backside of the radio was fitted wit a connector.

The reason is that the second harness - the relevant for the Grom solution - is reserved for an optional external cd/md changer whiche hasn't been availabed officially in Europe. So the chances are good that even on your radio the relevant harness is empty.

To find it out just remove the stereo following the walkthrough from Hando and check it. I think your stereo will look like this on the photo from the backside. The relevant harness is the 12-line one (marked red).

post-17051-1198142420.jpg

Best Regards

Sonnet

OK didn't see you photo. But now I can say:

You will definitly have NO PROBLEM :D

The reson is as follows. OK the relevant harness nis fittet with a connector. The GromAudio box comes with a ca specific cable which allows you to handle the originally fitted connector

post-17051-1198143034.jpg

As you can see on the picture the end of the cable who comes into the stereo has two ends. The female connector gooes dirctly to the stereo harnes and the male one offers a place for your originally fitted connector. So the Grom is fully integrated and no connector is left over

Sonnet

THANK YOU, Sonnet !

Now I can ordered it peacefully ! A THOUSAND THANKS !

Your Welcome!!! Have a good X-Mas time and let us know about you experience with the grom box.

Best Regards from Berlin

Sonnet

Another thing that makes me afraid is that both connectors behind my stereo are already connected. How can I insert the interface connector ?

Does your car have satnav? I'm starting to wonder whether early cars had the satnav connected through the stereo, rather than the amp........

I remember even when I bought my 2002 IS, they said that if you had satnav, then you could not also have the optional MD changer, which is why I was very surprised when Sonnet discovered that there was a spare plug in the back of the stereo. I guess they changed it on later cars, but forgot to tell anyone!

On a separate note, does the stereo display track names when playing off your ipod? It was able to do this with MDs (if you hit the text button) so was wondering if it can do it with the ipod?

On a separate note, does the stereo display track names when playing off your ipod? It was able to do this with MDs (if you hit the text button) so was wondering if it can do it with the ipod?

No - it only displays track number and time played on mine - exactly as it would with a CD. This can be a tad annoying when you're listening to your entire pod on shuffle and a track comes up that you like but don't really remember (you can't look at the ipod display to see what's playing as it just shows the big tick icon and "OK to disconnect")

There are a few other issues - like the CD1 plug supports a 10 cd changer but the gromaudio only really works with 6 playlists.

...but these are very very minor annoyances in an otherwise awesome bit of kit!

Does your car have satnav? I'm starting to wonder whether early cars had the satnav connected through the stereo, rather than the amp........

I remember even when I bought my 2002 IS, they said that if you had satnav, then you could not also have the optional MD changer, which is why I was very surprised when Sonnet discovered that there was a spare plug in the back of the stereo. I guess they changed it on later cars, but forgot to tell anyone!

Yes, I have got satnav, the oem external amplifer and 8 speakers. My radio is the 13902. :crying:

I wrote Grom Audio an email regardning this second connector on the car specific cable which has only thw pins connected with wires and looks excactly like the 12-line harness on the backside of the stereo. I had no idea what should be connected there. Grom answered and said that some cars have the relevant harness already connected with a plug. The second spare male harness on the car specific cable helps these guys to get a possibility to use the grom box without loosing any funktion of the stereo/satnav combination

Unfornunately not!If you really need to now what title is playing you need to place you ipod somewhere out of the glove box so that you can see the titles on the display of the POD.

In addition we found out here in the german speaking LOC board, that the gombox does not recognize the first playlist on the iPod. All other playlists from 2-9 can be played without any problems. I handle this thing like that, that I've store a dummy list with one title as the first list on the iPod and filled the rest of my music in playlist 2-9

All the best

Sonnet