Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ipod Control Solution For Oem Stereo Is200/300 Finally Found

does anyone have instructions on how to remove the Factory fitted headunit on a '53 rx300 with sat nav? i am keen to fit the ipod adaptor but have no clue as to how to get to the back of the stereo. ive tried to find pictures of my headunit. hope someone can help me with this!

lexrxdash.jpg

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

will the grom audio ( wire/unit) work with CREATIVE ZEN 2GB mp3 player does anyone know..???

ive probly asked before but can someone confirm..

cheers guys. :D

If you mean so you can control it via the headunit, then no, but if you just get the aux one you'll be able to plug it in and get sound through the standard audio system - it's just a normal headphone jack that you plug into your mp3 player

Mmmm, installed mine, no problems.....However. It takes about 10mins for the HU to see the IPOD after I start the engine, is this right? with the engine not running its there immediately, most of the time.

Am I missing something like a "scan all CD changers" button combination?? or a Reset HU by certain button presses at the same time.

I have the 13903 if that helps.

I've got the same headunit and find it better to switch back to radio or CD before switching off, otherwise on startup it takes longer to activate, and also takes a bit for my satnav to come on (just sits there with a blank screen for a bit)

I don't have the ipod one though, just the aux but it's essentially the same unit..........

• 2 weeks later...
I fitted my grom interface yesterday, works great.

Thanks Sonnet and thanks to the guys with the pics for the head unit removal :):):):):):):):)

Kevin...

Welcome to the club!!!

I hope you'll enjoy it!

Cheers

Sonnet

• 2 weeks later...

Hallo Sonnet. Danke fuer Deine sehr hilfreiche Hinweis. Ich lese nicht der LOC US Forum, da es voll von Unsinn ist, also es war sehr gut Deine Nachricht hier zu finden.

I fitted my adapter today. I ordered it last Sunday, and it arrived on Wednesday. Fitting it was no problem thanks to the good instructions posted here, and it works perfectly.

My unit is a 16819 - I guess this differs from the UK units in some way. Interestingly mine had a "Remanufactured" sticker on the back, so has obviously has had some run-ins with Lexus in the past.

It also has two aerial sockets & wires - why ?

To save postage I also ordered one for my wife's Honda Odyssey at the same time. Again works perfectly, the iPod even responds to the steering wheel audio controls.

Now i just have to buy myself an iPod. I had planned to borrow my wife's, but now that it works in her car I can't have it ! :tsktsk:

Hi All

Can anyone tell me what they were charged, if at all, to the UK from the US for the Grom.

VAT ?

Customs Duty ?

Courier charge for customs ?

Cheers

i wasn't charged anything additional. got mine for sale if your interested?

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=49054

shameless plug, save some cash haha

• 3 weeks later...
got mine today and fitted it this evening, it works perfectly on my 13902 H/U :D

be honest, how easy was it to fit (i've never taken the stereo out let alone anything else and am thinking about buying one :whistling: )

it was easy, the only part i found a bit difficult was getting the part with the trc/heated seat buttons out, its not easy gripping it, but did manage to get it out.

try and get someont to help you with it, it'll make it alot easier. took me about an hour to do :D

it was easy, the only part i found a bit difficult was getting the part with the trc/heated seat buttons out, its not easy gripping it, but did manage to get it out.

I've never had a problem with this bit but then my button tray has been out several times for grom/hands free etc installs so may be looser.

For those having problems with it: try pulling it out whilst wearing rubber gloves - should give you lots of grip.

got mine today and fitted it this evening, it works perfectly on my 13902 H/U :D

be honest, how easy was it to fit (i've never taken the stereo out let alone anything else and am thinking about buying one :whistling: )

Rob as Jackal says it is very easy to do, Hando done a very good write up on this HERE......i too had a bit of dificulty gripping the heated seat button, but will use the rubber gloves tip when i need to remove it again :)

I have a big problem with the email of INDASHPC ( inquiry@indashpc.org & info@gromaudio.com ). I always get an "mail failure delivery" when I send them an email. Am I the only one ?

I received after one week the GROM AUDIO kit (IPOD) for my Lexus IS200 12/1999 (m.y. 2000) with gps satnav, external amplifier and 8 speakers.

But the GROM AUDIO kit doesn't work. So I contact INDASHPC :

I received the GROM AUDIO kit on the 02 january 2008. I installed it immadiatly. Connectors are the good one. They fit perfectly on

my radio. Unfortunately, the radio did not reconize the kit and then the ipod (classic 5th gen 30Gb). I looked in the installation guide the chapter "3.6 troubleshooting". So, I check all connectors. They were well connected. I disconnected them and connected them new. But my radio did not still reconize the GROM AUDIO kit. Can you help me to resolve this (big) problem ASAP ? Sincerely, Marc

I received an answer very quickly (I contact the technical support by the website of INDASHPC) :

Hi Marc,

I think we have compatibility issues with 13902 units,

We're looking for such unit for tests,

I will let you know next week when we have a solution,

Thank you,

Dmitry/

i too have the same problem mate, and had the same response from Dmitry @ GromAudio, i guess its a case of waiting and seeing.

the only thing i can think that i may try is try a different ipod, i too have the 30GB ipod video. think im going to try at the weekend with my sister new nano and see if it makes a difference

Off the top of my head i think that mine is the 13902 headunit and ive also got the ipod video......it must be a faulty unit

I don't think that your headunit is the 13902 one. I think that the "13902" is the headunit with satnav and external amplifier.

A long time ago, but since the thread has reappeared checked the other day for another member and yes mine is the 13902

I've never had a problem with this bit but then my button tray has been out several times for grom/hands free etc installs so may be looser.

For those having problems with it: try pulling it out whilst wearing rubber gloves - should give you lots of grip.

Rubber gloves are an excellent idea, that was what i needed but couldnt get hold of any cos i was fitting it quite late.

Hando, many thanks for the write up, i followed it and got it done within an hour with hardly any problems. I didnt have to take the whole H/U out, just got it loose enough to feel the connector at the back and plugged the grom adapter in.

And thanks to sonnet for discovering this brilliant gadget :D

Is it anyone that knows if maybe a Nokia N95 could be used like the iPod?? The N95 have wlan, and that is very useful when you will have some music fast :winky:

I also have a dream to maybe connect the N95 to the stereo and buy a sat-nav converter like this: http://www.lextasy.com/nav_converter_1160_prd1.htm

Maybe I can play music videoes on the stereo and the sat-nav screen... I hope so :shifty:

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, has anyone got this to work on an 2004 Lex IS with Nav??????? I have a top loader factory fitted stereo but looking at the Harness link

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...ost&id=2904

It looks like there is a different cable adapter between 98-03 and 03+ and guess what I ordered mine on sunday and looks like I might have made a mistake.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Hi guys, has anyone got this to work on an 2004 Lex IS with Nav??????? I have a top loader factory fitted stereo but looking at the Harness link

It looks like there is a different cable adapter between 98-03 and 03+ and guess what I ordered mine on sunday and looks like I might have made a mistake.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Hi,

the picture is faulty :(

As far as I know all IS MK 1 from 99 to 2005 (model change to MK II) have the same relevant 12 PIN harness (they show only up to 2003) on the backside of the stereo. If you want to be sure just remove the stereo and have a look by yourself...it's really easy if you follow hando's guide :)

How To Install The Gromaudio Ipod Adaptor In 1st Gen Is, (also headunit removal)

Nav is not a problem. I got a 2003 mit Sat Nav and Nav is running as usual.

Cheers from Berlin

Sonnet

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Hi,

the picture is faulty :(

As far as I know all IS MK 1 from 99 to 2005 (model change to MK II) have the same relevant 12 PIN harness (they show only up to 2003) on the backside of the stereo. If you want to be sure just remove the stereo and have a look by yourself...it's really easy if you follow hando's guide :)

How To Install The Gromaudio Ipod Adaptor In 1st Gen Is, (also headunit removal)

Nav is not a problem. I got a 2003 mit Sat Nav and Nav is running as usual.

Cheers from Berlin

Sonnet

Hey Sonnet. I plan to only remove the stereo when the thing arrives. Just writing about removing the stereo is making me nervous and don't want to do it more than once.

I'm gonna follow step by step intructions and go from there.........

Thanks Mate and good luck in the footy today!!!

Thanks for the helpful posts on this product. Does it only allow selection of songs through playlists (e.g., not by artist, album)? Also, is it limited to only 6 playlists?

I am trying to decide between the GROM and Peripheral PXAMG which allows searching by artist, album, genre, and unlimited playlists: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1215 (click video for nice demo of the product). I couldn't find much feedback on the Peripheral product from actual users.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Mate,

this is an interesting post :D But after a short screening of their homepage it seams to be an alternative for only a few people:

The reason is that the Peripheral PXAMG cost more than the double price of the GROM (Grom $80 Dollar, PXAMG $162 Dollar) For that price the the PXAMG offers most of the GROM features PLUS the possibility to select not only playlist but artist.

That's right....but only if you have the right OEM stereo and if you are not afraid to modify your stereo and disconnect essantial thiks like the sat receiver.

from their Homepage

Product Details PXAMG

Toyota/Lexus/Scion:

Overall Toyota/Lexus/Scion compatibility notes:

- Radio must be equipped with a button labeled "AM/SAT” on the face of the radio to be compatible

- Not compatible in Lexus vehicles equipped with a factory navigation style radio with factory satellite installed.

- The satellite receiver will have to be disconnected at the satellite tuner location in order for the PXAMG to work correctly

- Radios with a diversity antenna will need to make a small modification to the OEM radios main power harness in order for the HD tuner to work correctly. Please refer to included tech brief with inside the PGHTY1 harness packaging. Diversity antenna systems are identifiable by having two antenna connections to the OEM radio.

Not compatible in Scion vehicles with the OEM option Pioneer radios with OEL display

For me it seams to be too expensive, too restrictive and way to less plug'n play ("the satellite receiver will have to be disconnected at the satellite tuner location in order for the PXAMG to work correctly " - never!!)

I'm driving an IS300 Sportcross and using the Grom since December 2007. And I can say this is really plug'n play. Just plug it in and it's working for the most of us! OK no selection of the artists via the OEM controls, but it's OK for me. For the few times I need that, I place the iPod visible and use it's own controlls.

Cheers

Sonnet

Thanks for the reply, Sonnet. I don't have Satellite radio hooked up and don't plan on buying the HD radio add-on so I won't need to modify the OEM radio or be concerned about disconnecting the satellite receiver. Looks like I need to weigh the price difference (cheapest I found was 129.99 for Peripheral vs. 80 for GROM) vs the ability to browse by artist and albums (in addition to unlimited playlists, which I rarely use).

It's nice to see the number of ipod options increasing for Lexus (especially at a more reasonable price than the first offerings).