first of all thank you very much for this fantastic page . I’m really impressed about the discussions and the solution I saw over the last few years. But the often asked questions were not really answered for me yet.
Is it possible to connect an iPOD directly on the OEM stereo, without opening and modifying the radio?
And is it possible to control the iPOD over the OEM stereo, while the POD is remaining in the glove box?
Since Monday of this week I can say:
It is possible, the sound is great, the control works perfect and the iPOD charge while connected!!!!
I found the solution in the American LOC. There is a little company in California called Grom Audio. They produce like Dension (ice link) AUX and iPOD adapter for OEM stereos. You can imagine that couldn’t believe my eyes when I was checking the compatibility list and found the IS300 from 1999 – 2005 on it.
Toyota / Scion / Lexus GROM for iPod interface(GROM-IPOD-TOY)
-Original harness to connect to iPod (dock in cable)
-Original harness to connect to the back of the stereo
-Direct connection to the car stereo. CD quality sound
-Full control from car stereo or steering wheel
-Charge iPod while operating
-Most Toyotas, Lexus and Scions supported (year 98+)
-In-dash 6-CD will remain working !
It provides direct audio interface to a car stereo via the CD changer port. GROM Audio interface insures CD quality sound from iPod to car stereo speakers. It allow to "fool" your stereo into thinking that fully featured CD changer is plugged in. This way you can have thousands of tracks divided into playlists or full shuffle mode if you wish. Endless amount of music !
- Direct connection from iPod to car stereo provides CD quality sound
- GROM Audio translates button presses from your car stereo or steering wheel to the particular command iPod can understand
- Enables easy integration into the car system. Place it anywhere, control from the car stereo
- Charges iPod while connected
Main distributor for the grom audio adapter is
where you can order the iPOD interface (Toyota / Scion / Lexus GROM for iPod interface(GROM-IPOD-TOY) for just $ 79.
The product details are as follow:
Direct audio connection will ensure the best sound quality non compromised by FM transmitter or cassette adapter. Just plug the adapter into the back of your stereo (or in the trunk), connect it to your iPod and enjoy crystal clear sound and full control ! Ultimate iPod integration solution will provide the following features:
- Integrate your iPod into car audio system easily
- Get CD quality sound from the iPod through existing car stereo
- Control and operate your iPod with car stereo buttons or steering wheel controls
- Convert iPod into virtual CD changer
- Disk 1 allow to control iPod from its clicking wheel. Select your music from iPod and have it played. Stereo will control iPod
- Disk 2-6 mapped to playlists you create on iPod. Full control from car stereo. The following information is displayed: Disk #, Track #, time etc
- MIX, REPEAT work as usual
- SCAN allow to skip +-10 tracks for faster navigation
- Playlist positions are preserved for fast operation
- Shuffle songs, switch between tracks, playlists and adjust volume - all by using head unit controls
- Have your iPod charged
My package was delivered about one week after ordering. For $79,99 the package contents:
- Car stereo adapter in plastic enclosure
- OEM compatible harness to connect to the back of the car stereo
- iPod dock in cable (gen 4 and up iPods)
- Installation manual
I installed it in just one hour due to the OEM compatible harness an it just works!!!!!
The OEM stereo knows right now the following things:
- FM button -> regular Radio
- Tape button -> Tape
- Disk button (first time pressing) -> internal CD-Changer (on the left side of the display you will see then “CD”)
- Disk button (second time pressing) -> external CD-Changer -> Grom Audio iPOD interface (on the left side of the display you will see then “CD1”)
iPOD in use
One special thing is maybe interesting for people who are planning to buy an iPOD but do not own one so far. They can also order the IPOD interface from Grom Audio and and add an extra cable called (AUX RCA cable + 3.5 mm phone jack (Cable-AUX-C)) for only $4.99
This cable can be plugged into the iPOD interface box – instead of the iPod dock in cable – and allows you to listen to music from your regular mp3 player (without control from OEM stero for sure).
OK, let me show you some photos:
GromAudio Interface Car side
Car specific plug 'n play cable
relevant harnes on Lexus OEM stereo #1(marked)
relevant harnes on Lexus OEM stereo #2(marked)
Beside of the photos you can find the harness compatibility list.
Harness_Compatibility.pdf 77.94KB 552 downloads
I hope this helps you to get mp3 in you car without loosing the original design inside of the car. If you have further questions, please ask.
Best Regards from Berlin
P.S. My Car has a 9 speaker Stereo with satnav and nav seems to work with this solution :-))