Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lpg Conversion.

Hi all,

I've had my RX300 for about 9 months now, 2000 "X" reg, 34000 miles when I bought it, 45,000 miles now. I'm thinking about going for a LPG conversion as the last time time that I filled it up it cost me £69 !

If you've had a LPG conversion, please advise of the pro's cons and what to look out for.

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Fraser Smith

Edinburgh

Hi

We had my wife's 2001 RX300 converted about 6 months ago. I've run LPG cars before. On Series 1, LPG install is pretty good. There is an excellent space where the spare wheel is - our installer managed to fit a 90 litre toroidal tank in there (fills with around 68l of LPG, range around 300 miles). He used an e-gas multipoint injection system, and the install came to £2k. Reckon I save approx £100 per 1000 miles, so money back in 20000 miles, which is around 2 years driving for her. Plus it's convenient for us - we actually have an LPG station at our village farm shop - nearest petrol station is 8 miles away. LPG at farm shop is 43p/litre at the moment. LPG tanks is completely invisible - no change in boot floor. Filler a few inches below and behind the petrol flap.

Car runs very smoothly with no noticable loss of power.

Andrew

PS: My brother has just bought a 2004 Series 2 RX300, although I don't think he's planning on converting that. I did notice the difference in spare-wheel location - I don't think it would be so easy to fit a tank under the boot floor if you were converting a Series 2.

Had my 2003 MkII RX300 converted to LPG a few months ago - the tank goes in place of the spare wheel under the car.

So far it is excellent - you cannot tell it is running on LPG!!!

Instead of costing £50 to top up it now costs around £25 - absolutely fantastic, wish i had had it done earlier.

Jon

Don't forget that you also get a saving on Roadtax.

My tax is now £195 instead of £210.

I will be looking to upgrade to a series 2 Rx shortly so its good to see that conversion is possible. I certainly would not own a car without lpg at the moment.

No regrets here!

SJT

• 1 month later...
Don't forget that you also get a saving on Roadtax.

My tax is now £195 instead of £210.

I will be looking to upgrade to a series 2 Rx shortly so its good to see that conversion is possible. I certainly would not own a car without lpg at the moment.

No regrets here!

SJT

• 4 weeks later...

Been looking seriously into this having only just bought my RX300 Mk1 2003......the way I figure it, its better to get it done sooner than later if you want to reap the benifits!.....seems around £2K is the going price....which means it pays for itself in 2 years, if the tax regime stays as is.......

A question for the vehicles already converted.....what the hell does it do to the fuel computer read out? Surely it must bugger up the reading completely?

Best regards David

Been looking seriously into this having only just bought my RX300 Mk1 2003......the way I figure it, its better to get it done sooner than later if you want to reap the benifits!.....seems around £2K is the going price....which means it pays for itself in 2 years, if the tax regime stays as is.......

A question for the vehicles already converted.....what the hell does it do to the fuel computer read out? Surely it must bugger up the reading completely?

Best regards David

When i flick between lpg & petrol the readout drops by about 10% (ish!). I dont know how it all works but i assume its a genuine readout of the lpg mpg!!??

Its so cheap to run that it doesnt really matter!

SJT

Wow! really? thats impressive....I really thought the lpg would not be registered on the computer.....but great news....may I ask who and what system they installed? I ask becuase there seems to be so many manufacturers of lpg kits these installers use, it would be nice to specify one that tetains the computer system intact....

Thanks for the info

Best regards David

Wow! really? thats impressive....I really thought the lpg would not be registered on the computer.....but great news....may I ask who and what system they installed? I ask becuase there seems to be so many manufacturers of lpg kits these installers use, it would be nice to specify one that tetains the computer system intact....

Thanks for the info

Best regards David

I have sent the contact details via PM.

SJT

I looked at buying a '04 RX300 but when I asked about converting to LPG was advised that Lexus do not recommend it and it would void any warranty claim? The fact it couldn't be converted made me opt for the IS220D instead.

I looked at buying a '04 RX300 but when I asked about converting to LPG was advised that Lexus do not recommend it and it would void any warranty claim? The fact it couldn't be converted made me opt for the IS220D instead.

Hmm odd......as the installers I have looked at list as using a system approved/recommended by Lexus! :unsure:

oops...I will correct that atatement as it appears they only list the manufacturer on thier site.....not specifically that it is an "approved" conversion.....ha ha...big difference...

Best regards David

MAKE SURE U HAVE A FLASHLUBE SYSTEM FITTED OR U WILL END UP WITH AN EXPENSIVE BILL!!!!!

Indeed, it appears every system I have seen so far includes "flashlube" for this particular vehicle.....which is a good sign I guess?

MAKE SURE U HAVE A FLASHLUBE SYSTEM FITTED OR U WILL END UP WITH AN EXPENSIVE BILL!!!!!

Indeed, it appears every system I have seen so far includes "flashlube" for this particular vehicle.....which is a good sign I guess?

Try to get the hang of this forum larky so here goes!

Drove my 2003 lexus rx300 for just over a month and so far enjoyed every minute.

I have spent almost 6 months finding out about this car(a bit sad realy drove my partner mad) the good the bad and the ugly but so far I havent found any of this as a 4x4 type vehicle it is very comfi etc even getting 23 to the gallon just trolleying around not bad at all.

Any way talking about the fuel my ultimate intention before buying this car was to convert it to lpg. phase 1 locating the spare from under the car. this I have done by manufacturing a bracket fixed at one side in the boot so it is now stud up on it's side thus still giveing enough room to fit the dog carrier and suit cases ready for the cornwall and scotland tour etc

Phase 2 the convertion now then I have had 3 quotes with all saying theres is the the best umm now Normally I would go for the mid price. But before this Im gona ask in here for any feed back on any convertions already done.

Regards Steve

ps If any one's interested in the spare wheel bracket for the boot let me no and I will post some pici's on here (my rx is with spare origanaly underneath).

Try to get the hang of this forum larky so here goes!

Drove my 2003 lexus rx300 for just over a month and so far enjoyed every minute.

I have spent almost 6 months finding out about this car(a bit sad realy drove my partner mad) the good the bad and the ugly but so far I havent found any of this as a 4x4 type vehicle it is very comfi etc even getting 23 to the gallon just trolleying around not bad at all.

Any way talking about the fuel my ultimate intention before buying this car was to convert it to lpg. phase 1 locating the spare from under the car. this I have done by manufacturing a bracket fixed at one side in the boot so it is now stud up on it's side thus still giveing enough room to fit the dog carrier and suit cases ready for the cornwall and scotland tour etc

Phase 2 the convertion now then I have had 3 quotes with all saying theres is the the best umm now Normally I would go for the mid price. But before this Im gona ask in here for any feed back on any convertions already done.

Regards Steve

ps If any one's interested in the spare wheel bracket for the boot let me no and I will post some pici's on here (my rx is with spare origanaly underneath).

Has anyone done this LPG conversion on an Rx400h? If so is it successful?

Hi

We had my wife's 2001 RX300 converted about 6 months ago. I've run LPG cars before. On Series 1, LPG install is pretty good. There is an excellent space where the spare wheel is - our installer managed to fit a 90 litre toroidal tank in there (fills with around 68l of LPG, range around 300 miles). He used an e-gas multipoint injection system, and the install came to £2k. Reckon I save approx £100 per 1000 miles, so money back in 20000 miles, which is around 2 years driving for her. Plus it's convenient for us - we actually have an LPG station at our village farm shop - nearest petrol station is 8 miles away. LPG at farm shop is 43p/litre at the moment. LPG tanks is completely invisible - no change in boot floor. Filler a few inches below and behind the petrol flap.

Andrew

PS: My brother has just bought a 2004 Series 2 RX300, although I don't think he's planning on converting that. I did notice the difference in spare-wheel location - I don't think it would be so easy to fit a tank under the boot floor if you were converting a Series 2.

Hi Hows the convertion going

I'm just about jump feet first into this lpg larki with my rx300 se 2003 model have now spent more time than thought deliberating on which system to go for they all say theres is the best prices from EGAS£1650 to PRINs £2300 ?

Me too......been hawking around the sites and chatted to a few installers in my area, seems "prins" and "BRS"....(not sure about that last one) are the most favoured....hopefully not because they are the most profitable for the installer....yes I know, call me a cynic!

I would like an install that leaves the engine bay looking tidy.....a couple of piccies I have seen leave the gas manifold laying across the top of the engine cover, not what I would call attractive :crybaby: .

Although I was reading Januarys Jag owners magazine yesterday and some chap had his Jag converted down in Exeter I think it was, and they managed to fit it all under the engine cover....looked neat, bloomin' cannot remeber the name of the company now though (the mag was in the dentist waiting room......oh yes, my dentist has up to date magazines :lol: )

Its getting to the stage now for me to wittle down the contenders......

Best regards David

Hi Hows the convertion going

I'm just about jump feet first into this lpg larki with my rx300 se 2003 model have now spent more time than thought deliberating on which system to go for they all say theres is the best prices from EGAS£1650 to PRINs £2300 ?

Me too......been hawking around the sites and chatted to a few installers in my area, seems "prins" and "BRS"....(not sure about that last one) are the most favoured....hopefully not because they are the most profitable for the installer....yes I know, call me a cynic!

I would like an install that leaves the engine bay looking tidy.....a couple of piccies I have seen leave the gas manifold laying across the top of the engine cover, not what I would call attractive :crybaby: .

Although I was reading Januarys Jag owners magazine yesterday and some chap had his Jag converted down in Exeter I think it was, and they managed to fit it all under the engine cover....looked neat, bloomin' cannot remeber the name of the company now though (the mag was in the dentist waiting room......oh yes, my dentist has up to date magazines :lol: )

Its getting to the stage now for me to wittle down the contenders......

Best regards David

The first installer I went to informed me the cover on the engine could not be refit after gas convertion so yep it looks like it's gona be little less prity under the bonnet. Almost 2 months down the line and still cannot make a decission on which system to go for. Now had a fitter saying omvl systems does the same as prins system all be it almost 400 cheaper umm this weekend I realy do have to make a decision ( Whatch this space) O also decided to have a towbar fitted before the convertion gone for a westfali detachable 450.00 not bad all the lpg guys say to have it fitted first thats another thing they all have in common as well as saying there system is the best.

steve

Hi

Andrew

Hi

Andrew

Hi

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Hows the Egas system going??

Steve

Had my 2003 MkII RX300 converted to LPG a few months ago - the tank goes in place of the spare wheel under the car.

So far it is excellent - you cannot tell it is running on LPG!!!

Instead of costing £50 to top up it now costs around £25 - absolutely fantastic, wish i had had it done earlier.

Jon

Hi Jon could you tell me what sytem you used and I f you have had any problems with the convertion.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links