Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs300 Mk2 Starting Problem

ianslexus

Hello,

I have recently bought a 1998 Mk2 GS300.

It has served me well, and without any problems for the few months I have had it.

However, just recently, it has started to develop a problem starting.

Sometimes it will start without any problem, but then sometimes it will just go CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK when turning the key - but then on the next turn of the key, it will start and run fine.

We had considered the Battery, but we tested the Battery to be ok, to the best of our knowledge - we even used a booster on the Battery, and sometimes it still clicks, but other times will start ok.

We have read that it may be the Starter Motor? Or is it the immobiliser? Has anybody had any similar experiences?

Also, where is the immobiliser located? It doesnt have an aftermarket immobiliser, just factory standard.

All help appreciated.

Ian

Further to this problem, eventually if you keep trying the car starts, so decided to pop out in it.

Was driving normally and the VSC OFF light came on the dash and the car lost drive, there was no response to the throttle, it was just crawling along........

Are the two issues connected do you think?

Please help............somebody!!

• 5 months later...
Hello,

It has served me well, and without any problems for the few months I have had it.

Sometimes it will start without any problem, but then sometimes it will just go CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK when turning the key - but then on the next turn of the key, it will start and run fine.

We had considered the battery, but we tested the battery to be ok, to the best of our knowledge - we even used a booster on the battery, and sometimes it still clicks, but other times will start ok.

We have read that it may be the Starter Motor? Or is it the immobiliser? Has anybody had any similar experiences?

Also, where is the immobiliser located? It doesnt have an aftermarket immobiliser, just factory standard.

All help appreciated.

Ian

I have had the same problem a couple of times with the VSD Off light, when on you need to floor the accelerator to get the car moving. First couple of times it happened were years ago and it went of its own volition. I have had it now for over a day and have posted a query about it. Not had any replies as yet. Will get back to you if I do.

John

Hello,

We had considered the battery, but we tested the battery to be ok, to the best of our knowledge - we even used a booster on the battery, and sometimes it still clicks, but other times will start ok.

All help appreciated.

Ian

Hi,u have a voltage drop on your ignition system,or wire to the starter solenoid,which makes it click sometimes,to get around this just add a 5 pin relay.I HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE.I still have the wiring diagram at work,on Tuesday i'll let u have it, B)

Hello,

All help appreciated.

Ian

Hi Ian,This should help with your starter problems B) Get a12v relay,5 pin,on the relay u should have numbers,the numbers are 86,85,30,87.To conect it goes as follows;86 to earth,85from your starter solenoid [TAKE THE WIRE FROM THE STARTER SOLENOID AND FIT TO 85] THEN make up 1 new wire that will go to the from 87 to starter solenoid,and then put a Battery feed to 30. JOB DONE.U will never have this problem again :lol: NOTE THAT U ONLY USED 4 PINS. :P TAKE CARE

• 1 month later...

new batt mate.. this does weird things when apparently not at fault, when actually it's not got the juice. These 2jz's either fire-up or they don't. I've seen the dashlight light up like a xmas tree flashing on a bad batt (trickle-charged, boosted, you name it).

Just wait till the alarm goes bonkers on a dodge batt.

• 11 months later...

In the last week I'm having exactly the same problem with my 2003 GS430 and the Battery appears fine.

It wouldn't start this morning on a couple of attempts, but on the third I turned it off and went straight from off to turning the engine over, instead of waiting on On for a few seconds, and it started like normal.

Where can I find the starter motor on my car to have look at it?

• 2 weeks later...

I've tested my Battery and it's healthy, so I assume it's my starter motor based on the characteristics of the fault. My dad and I are going to take it off and give it a good clean before I go down the route of replacing it.

I've tested my battery and it's healthy, so I assume it's my starter motor based on the characteristics of the fault. My dad and I are going to take it off and give it a good clean before I go down the route of replacing it.

If the starter motor/solenoid setup is the same on the mk2 as it is on the mk1, I would buy the contact set before taking it off and "refurb" it once it is off. The sets can be bought on eBay for about a tenner I think. Not sure on price from dealer. This sorts the problem most of the time and avoids the cost of a whole unit. See this link for an eBay seller that may be able to help clicky. The link is for a mk1 GS, but the seller says he can do other kits.

If the starter motor/solenoid setup is the same on the mk2 as it is on the mk1, I would buy the contact set before taking it off and "refurb" it once it is off. The sets can be bought on ebay for about a tenner I think. Not sure on price from dealer. This sorts the problem most of the time and avoids the cost of a whole unit. See this link for an ebay seller that may be able to help clicky. The link is for a mk1 GS, but the seller says he can do other kits.

Thanks for the link. :) I'll ask if they do a kit for the Series II.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In the last week I'm having exactly the same problem with my 2003 GS430 and the Battery appears fine.

It wouldn't start this morning on a couple of attempts, but on the third I turned it off and went straight from off to turning the engine over, instead of waiting on On for a few seconds, and it started like normal.

Where can I find the starter motor on my car to have look at it?

starter is in the middle of the V of the engine not east to get at need to remove the whole inlet manifold assembly not really for the faint hearted hope your problem is the Battery or the solioid not sure if its a remote solioid but i will look tomorrow and post again

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links