Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How To Install The Gromaudio Ipod Adaptor In 1st Gen Is

The amp control cable is literally just the two wire data bus connection. It's just a case of cutting the plug off it and connecting to the same cables on the xcarlink lead and plug.

It's pins 9 and 10.

Everything is just piggy backed on Toyota's AVC-LAN. The head unit has only one audio input, it then tells all of the devices connected which one should be playing using the data bus.

So on the plug there's an audio line in, power, accessory, earth, bus and eject signals from memory.

• 1 month later...

Well, it's good to be back on here after initially joining 10 years ago :-)

I have a GROM adaptor for sale as my beloved IS200 has finally been sold on....

It has the TOY1 harness and aux inputs - will work with a wide range of players/iPods etc, but just hasn't got control or charge of one. PM me if you're interested in it, I'd rather it go to a good hom

• 4 months later...

With my CD multichanger playing up, yip, the one I just bought to replace the broken one that came with the car, I might invest in the GromUnit. Is it usable with other devices, like Samsung phone, Nokia phones etcetera?

Can't tell you about newer ones, as mines a bit older and has outputs on it for iPod, USB and Aux. iPod, obviously being iPod/iPhone specific, USB being for plugging in a thumb drive, and Aux just being a 3.5mm stereo cable input, so anything with a headphone socket will play.

Of course this means that the Aux won't be controlled by the stereo - you'd need to do any track selection/skipping on the device, not via the head unit. With the USB I believe it has HU control, and of course iPod does.

The newer ones also have Android support/connectivity, and I guess that includes Samsung (if it's running Android). Can't say about Nokia though.

Cheers Matt. I've emailed Grom as well. It'll be good to have something connect to the stereo like this, as my fm transmitter is not good. The static is terribleand it sounds like the speakers are broken, yet when the CDs are playing, the speakers are perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the parcel and will install everything on Saturday. As I have the AAlinQ app, do I still need to set up playlists? Also, do you need the harness if you are storing the device on top of the radio, like matt-c's picture?

I don't have Android, so can't answer that for you, but this might help?

(from this webpage here - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gromaudio.aalinq&hl=en)

As for the harness question - not sure what you mean by do you need it if it's stored on top of the radio - you'll need the harness to plug the Grom box into the back of the stereo - regardless of where you plan to store the Grom box. From there you'll need to run/route the cable to plug into your phone wherever you decide you want to use it. For mine, I ran it down behind the stereo, and had it come out under the heated seats buttons - that way if I'm using my iPod I can tuck it away out of site under the seat buttons, or if I'm using my Iphone, and can have it accessible, if I need to use the satnav/maps on it, or answer a call/text etc.

Hah, couldn't wait for Saturday eh? I meant harness as in wiring harness, not a strap harness. Mine didn't come with one, but it was second hand so I don't know if new ones do. Like I said in my post on the previous page, I was gonna stick it down with some sticky pads, but it was secure enough not to need them, so I didn't bother

I have installed the device above the radio, as you have done and it is working without any noticeable issues yet. Does the pjone get answered automatically? Or do I still need to press the button to answer the phone?

Very happy.

• 2 months later...

Everything on the standard stereo still works as it did; radio and cd. And with a grom, you can still plug in an extern changer too, since the grom harness has a pass through connector for it

• 1 month later...

Hi, just been reading how easily most people have managed to install the GROM. I've just bought the USB2 device from GROM tried to install it using the TOY1 cable. The cable has two connectors on it. One plugged into the Stereo port (which already had a connector in it and I then plugged the original cable into the second connector on the TOY1 cable. Without plugging the original cable into th TOY1 I had no sound. I then connected the IPOD to the GROM but got nothing!!

Contacted CARPUTER SHOP who I bought the GROM from and they told me to cut the white wire on the TOY1 cable - done that still nothing. Contacted GROM in the US and they've just sent me a firmware update.

Really annoyed as I thought this was going to be straight forward, also did not read theis topic before and scratched the dashboard around the stereo..........

Any help would be welcome. BTW my car has the 13903 stereo and factory fit Sat Nav.

• Like 1

Hi Ravi. Even without the update, it should still have worked. Stupid question, sorry for asking this . But. . . Have you made sure the connector in the Grom and radio are pressed in fully? All other wires which were in the radio should remain. Once everything is in and should suggest that it would work, turn the ignition off and then back on again. Connect the usb from the grom to your phone. Are you using android? Have you downloaded the AalinQ app? There are some issues with it, but the guys are working hard to rectify any problems.

Everything connected? Press CD.

The Grom device acts as a CD changer, so pressing the CD button will transfer from stereo CD to Grom.

If this works, AalinQ should start automatically. The Grom device does not allow you to use your own media player.

You may need to remove the usb from the phone wait a short while and reinsert the usb. AalinQ will start playing on whatever album or play list is either first, or last selected.

Thanks for the quick response Stuart, The TOY1 plug into the back of the stereo is so tight that I can not pull it back out, don't want to put too much force on it incase I damage anything.

So, I've got the Y shaped TOY1 cable plugged into the right hand side (when looking at the stereo in situ) rear socket, the original cable that was in that socket (has two wires on it) I've now plugged into the TOY1 and connected the other end to the GROM. Everything on the car works as normal (radio and Sat nav Ladies voice). Plugged in the IPOD using the connector turned it on and nothing. Pressed CD, then pressed CD twice, still nothing. I have got the USB cable and the intention was to have both available so that i could use either Ipod or Android phone, but right now got neither.

I've not tried the firmware yet, but seeing as I only got the GROM last Saturday, would've expected it to be upto date.

getting a bit frustrated, seeing as most people have said it's so straight forward and seeing as as the CARPUTER-SHOP guy said to cut a wire. Although GROM in the U.S have said that's not a problem!!

Hmmm. My other wires just hang down the back, I didn't cut mine.

Okay. Wires appear to be in place. But the cd button doesn't change? Do you have a cd in to play so that when you press cd you can see if it changes?

With the iPod connected, can you select a song to play?

With the iPod playing, connected to the grom and the grom apparently connected to the stereo, turn the ignition off for about 30 seconds and then turn it back on and simply don't touch anything. If your cd player turns on, press the cd button and see if this changes.

I've got my fingers crossed in hope.