Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How To Install The Gromaudio Ipod Adaptor In 1st Gen Is

It was just the one wire he told me to cut as he said that this may cause the stereo to be muted!

I'm now hoping that the wire that's been cut is not the power/signal to/from the GROM. I will use the instructions in your earlier post to see if I get connected. Failing that I'll ask for a replacement TOY1 cable and if that doesn't work, I'll get a refund on the GROM and take singing lessons!!!!

The CD player packed up several years ago and I'd been using a tape adaptor to play the iPod through. Now either the tape player or the adaptor are making a lot of background noise.

A few things;

1) you shouldn't need to cut anything

2) What iPod/iPhone are you using?

3) When you press the CD button on the stereo, what shows on the display?

So, starting with 1 - I would reconnect this wire. Strip it, join it, and insulate it

Moving onto 2 - If you are using a late model Touch, or Iphone 5, with the Lightning connector, are you using a genuine apple Lightning adapter/lead? Because if not, there are many "fakes" on the market (read, third party, non-Apple) versions that only do charge and sync - they do not support audio (reason, the Lightning connector is completely digital, and the adapters and leads had a tiny DAC built into them - without this, and the cheap knock-off's do not have DAC's in them, you won't get audio

And 3 - If you don't have a CD in the headunit, pressing the CD button should show CD1 on the display - like this;

2wm41g0.jpg

The audio should start immediately, using the native "iPod/Music" app on the iPhone/iPod.

However, you also need to be sure which input on the grom you are using. This is changed by turning on the stereo in two ways;

1. The stereo is already in the CD changer mode (GROM USB is activated). Press FM/AM -> wait 1-2 second -> press CD.

2. The stereo is in any other mode (FM, SAT, etc...): press CD -> wait 1-2 second -> press FM/AM -> wait 1 second -> press CD.

You will hear the voice announcing the currently playing mode (USB, AUX or iPod). To switch to the next

mode, press Next Track button quickly while the voice prompt is announcing. The next mode will be announced right after. If you need to select another mode, simply press Next Track button again and so on until you select the desired mode.

Each time you do this, it changes the input the Grom uses (in my case, either iPod, USB or AUX) and you'll hear it say the input through the speakers (a robotic woman voice with say "iPod", "USB" or "A-U-X")

My final thought is if the adapter is in so tight you can't pull it out, have you inserted it the right way up? It shouldn't be that tight that you cannot remove it. Are you depressing the tab on the connector fully to release it?

Thanks Matt, the iPod is a classic, so old style connector that came with the grom should be fine. I will recheck the connectors tomorrow and also try to reconnect the cut wire. If I can see some communication between the grom and the stereo, ill follow your step by step guide. Many thanks for your help, hopefully i'll have some good news tomorrow

Keep us posted. The old style (30pin) should be fine - for the most part, the new style Lightning connector does work, however I do find now and again it cuts out. Sometimes it does it repeatedly, and sometimes it's absolutely fine. I think this is down to voltage spikes/troughs, and I've noticed it's often when the charge is below a certain point (haven't figured out the exact point/percentage it does it below, or even if the charge status is the actual trigger - for example, the other night on the way home it did it a few time with the phone at about 50-60%. I then opened up the multitask tray and closed all running apps, tried it again and it worked fine. Tonight, with charge at about 35%, it worked for about 10 mins, then started playing up - closed all apps and it still refused to play ball, so I just went back to the radio. This doesn't happen with my iPod Classic, nor with my Iphone 4, so it can only be the 30-pin to Lightning conversion/adapter). As said, with the cheap knock off's on eBay, they do not work for audio - even one I bought that insisted it did work, didn't. The only one I've found that does pass through audio is the genuine article from apple. Shame it's £25!

Ok, just rejoined the wire. Took the stereo out, plugged the wires back in, still no joy. Then plugged in the flash drive with the firmware update and finally got the stereo to show the same screen that Matt sent last night. only problem no sound!!!!

Think it's not meant to be......

Hi Matt, Stuart, thanks both for all your help. Just been playing with the GROM again, following instructions through step by step but still nothing!

Yesterday, after using the flash drive with the firmware update I got the cd1 as per Matt's photo, but that was it. Today nothing. Carputer shop said they would replace the kit in case it is faulty, may try that and if it doesn't then will give up!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've recently installed GROM-USB2 and i have a few queries on it:

1. I've taken the head unit out, connected the grom unit and put it all back. Can someone confirm the correct installation of the Toy 1 cable? On one end there's 2 connectors, i plugged one into the empty port next to the original lexus cd cable and left the unused one hanging down. Got a feeling this is incorrect, can someone confirm?

2. The unit does work, i can play ringtones, voice recordings etc through the car stereo. But i mainly bought it to use Spotify through it - this does not work. Anyone got experience with this? Would it be easier just to buy the Bluetooth module?

3. My radio just switches itself off halfway through a journey. I switch it back on but i cant change to a cd & i cant change the volume. Restarting the car sorts this out though. Could this be due to the possible incorrect connections in point 1?

Thanks

Groms have two connectors so that you can also connect an existing cd changer. There is only one port that is for CD changers, so you should be connected to this one. If you have a CD changer already plugged in, unplug it, plug the TOY1 cable in there, then connect the CD changer cable to the female pass through connector on the TOY1

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick question I'm going to order the grom unit for my w reg 200 with bottom load head unit so do I need the old kit or newer? And which is the best iPod to go for, also will my Iphone 4 work with the grom kit.

You're Iphone 4 should work fine if the Grom kit you are going to order has the 30pin apple connector. If it has a Lightning connector, I don't think there is a lightning to 30pin adapter you can use... Check with the retailer as to which version Grom you need before ordering, or better still, take the stereo out and look at the plug yourself.

With the ongoing problems I am having with the AalinQ app, I am upgrading my Grom device to a Bluetooth Grom Device. Thank you Dean fron the Facebook is200 group.

Hey Stuart, did you upgrade it?

I'm thinking about getting one for my 52 plate with sat nav, but as I use Google Music for streaming the connection and app arent an option it seems.

Really need my current collection available in the car!

• Like 1

Hi Caspa. I eventually upgraded to the Bluetooth Grom. This allows me to use the media player of ky choice. The updates for AalinQ and Grom Firmware have helped improve the basic unit. One of the guys on the facebook group has the basic unit and though it took him 2 days to get the thing to work, it is woring without complications.

Corrected mate, not sure where I got Steve from.

Ordered and it shipped today to a mate in Boston who will forward it on with my Chromecast, so it will be a two toy package! Woohoo!

• 2 weeks later...

Kit arrived today! So the guide will be printed for a weekend install, now I'm gonna play with my chromecast that came in the same package!

So looking forward to having tunes! Thinking about some sort of holder for the phone now. It never ends!

Indeed. Cheers Steve for any further advice you gave Caspa. The bluetooth Grom works great for me. Also, if you have music playing and thephone rings, just press seek > and it answers the phone for you.

Stuart, can I ask how and where you hooked up the mic for the BT dongle?

• Like 1