Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Spare Wheels Warning

The full size spare wheel on IS'SS should be used as you would a spacesaver ie no speed above 80k 0r 50 mph unless the wheel is put on in the correct direction of rotation. this is due to the poor performance if put on the wrongway round, believe me you will notice the differnce in handling so beware of this and drive safely.

I've removed my spare tyre. It saves weight which equals better fuel consumption. I'm sure it's made me save 100 EURO or so durning 2 years.

I bought a anti-flat foam spray can instead.

Really something I can recommend. The spare weighs about 20 kg so it's quite a savings.

Better performance too, better curve handling.

Mercedes has done away with the spare altogether they supply foam spray only. Because they say that according to statistics the likelihood of getting a flat does not motivate lugging around a spare.

I mean should you get a flat. You can fill it with foam and drive safely home and change it.

Put in the spare when going on vacation though but otherwise the foam will siffice !

[Edited on 19-3-2002 by George]

The pro's and cons of the foam are.

Pro's

1. Lot easier than changing a wheel in the rain.

2. Gives you a spare wheel well for a big I.C.E install.

Con's

1. If you use it the tyre place can't fix the wheel, it has to be replaced.

(For those of you used to running big rims with low profile tyre, you will already know that driving 100yards on a flat will mean it's buggered!):mad:

What happens is the foam sets up hard inside the wheel and the tyre place will refuse to fix the tyre.(mostly due to the fact it's a lot of work to clean out the foam)

The foam inside the tyre will bond around the puncture. The problem is that a puncture patch won't stick to inner tyre once foam has touched it. You'll find that even if they abrade the inner tyre around the puncture and apply a patch, it will soon work loose.

The foam inside the tyre will bond around the puncture. The problem is that a puncture patch won't stick to inner tyre once foam has touched it. You'll find that even if they abrade the inner tyre around the puncture and apply a patch, it will soon work loose.

Do you mean a patch or a plug?????

I would rather carry the spare than have to buy a new tyre! when i get a flat at least you can get the tyre plugged(unless its on the edge)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links