Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Coolan/radiator/leak?

swfcdan

Evening all and merry christmas to all.

bit of a strage on here as i dont know what the problem is, hence im not entiely sure what to do a 'search' on.

Basically for the past couple of months ive fond myself topping up the red coolant stuff every few weeks. After 2/3 weeks all of the coolant has gone looking at the level indicator in the engine?

it just seems strange, as before ive never really had to bother even toppoing it up as it was done at sevice time.

its made me wonder wheather its a radiator leak or something, but i would have thought if that was the case id be able to see this we the red stuff all over the drive, which is not the case.

could anyone shed some light as to what it could be? touch wood,the engine has show no signs of overheating.

1st thing to check is your oil :D depending on what oil you use, if your head gasket has gone you oil will be milk sort of colour, check how much oil you have in, if its high on you dip stick then this could be where your water is going.

Or, you may just have a small leak from your rad or water pump, if its taking 2/3 weeks to show, look for the red coolant around your water pump, as this has been known to go.

1st thing to check is your oil :D depending on what oil you use, if your head gasket has gone you oil will be milk sort of colour, check how much oil you have in, if its high on you dip stick then this could be where your water is going.

Or, you may just have a small leak from your rad or water pump, if its taking 2/3 weeks to show, look for the red coolant around your water pump, as this has been known to go.

Just out of curiosity gord on top of the rad ( left hand side ) you have a plastic cap with a small pipe,is this some sort of over flow pipe....only asking as on top of the cap you can see on mine where the coolant has leaked a little see the red/pink coolant when dry and also can feel when i reach down and put my finger under the pipe that a little bit of coolant has come from the pipe....is this ok and normal?

I.E coz the coolant has heated up expanded and just gone out of the over flow pipe...?

cheers for the reply gord, havn't checked the oil for a few weeks now, but last time i did the oil was, well errr oil colour! :blush: and was sitting at the correct level ie half way up between the two 'bumps' on the dipstick.

apologies as im crap with mechanical stuff, where is the water pump? is it easy to see?

EDIT- thanks for the pic, where is that in relation to looking over the engine ie when you first open the bonet

EDIT EDIT- Daza, i think the cap ypur referring to is the cap which you use to top up the coolant

cheers for the reply gord, havn't checked the oil for a few weeks now, but last time i did the oil was, well errr oil colour! :blush: and was sitting at the correct level ie half way up between the two 'bumps' on the dipstick.

apologies as im crap with mechanical stuff, where is the water pump? is it easy to see?

EDIT- thanks for the pic, where is that in relation to looking over the engine ie when you first open the bonet

EDIT EDIT- Daza, i think the cap ypur referring to is the cap which you use to top up the coolant

yeah the filler cap...mine has a small amount of pink coolant around it and the pipe has a little bit of coolant coming from it....not all the time now n then...dno if this is normal? is it coz it is a sealed system and doesnt have an expansion tank ?

Mine is doing the same...on mine i have a small leak from the by pass pipe, not the waterpump itself.

Can i just change the by pass pipe (and rubber seals) to stop the leak or is it better to change the waterpump and by pass pipe (including rubber seals)? I'm thinking of replacing the waterpump and by pass pipe/seals for peace of mind.

I certainly dont want to put the frighteners on you but if there is no trace of coolant showing on your drive then your head gasket could still be the culprit and your coolant might not necessarily be leaking into your oil. It could be going into one of your cylinders in which case you would get an excessive amount of steam come out of your exhaust when you initially start up after its been stood a while and/or the engine could possibly misfire for a short time until the coolant has been burnt off.

cheers for the response guys, think im going to have to get it checked in the new year. its actually draining quicker than i first thought, less than a week id say.

had a look in the engine round the water pump area and cannot see any signs of leaking, they only place i can see the residue from the coolant is underneath the uni in which you put the coolant, its around the seal where it joins ( i cant really explain it)

@mossyn. ive not really seen any sign of excessive steam coming out of the exahust apart from the usual the IS gives off which seems to be quite a bit in comparison to others, think i read a long while backthough that this was pretty normal for the IS