Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Disaster

cho

Hi guys, been a long time since I have been on the forum and I come with tidings of woe. I recently had the stage 1 s/c upgrade done on my car at TDI and after having done less than 1000 miles have had catastrophic engine failure. Whilst cruising down the motorway I have had a rod snap and now have a slightly larger than a golf ball size hole in my engine. Suffice to say that my engine is dead. I just spent in the region of 5.5k for this upgrade and I am devestated. :crybaby:

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi guys, been a long time since I have been on the forum and I come with tidings of woe. I recently had the stage 1 s/c upgrade done on my car at TDI and after having done less than 1000 miles have had catastrophic engine failure. Whilst cruising down the motorway I have had a rod snap and now have a slightly larger than a golf ball size hole in my engine. Suffice to say that my engine is dead. I just spent in the region of 5.5k for this upgrade and I am devestated. :crybaby:

The car had only been serviced about 700 miles earlier it had 71k on the clock, Im going to have an independent assessor have a look and see what he thinks. At this time I have spoke to TDI and they dont believe it is down to them. I did have problems with the idling and engine management light was permenantly on shortly after collecting the car. Also the trac contol light was flashing on and off. I informed TDI of this but I was told there was nothing to worry about

The car had only been serviced about 700 miles earlier it had 71k on the clock, Im going to have an independent assessor have a look and see what he thinks. At this time I have spoke to TDI and they dont believe it is down to them. I did have problems with the idling and engine management light was permenantly on shortly after collecting the car. Also the trac contol light was flashing on and off. I informed TDI of this but I was told there was nothing to worry about

That doesn't seem right to me?

What do you mean by stage one upgrade?

Just a pully or pulley/injectors/ and ecu?

Sounds to my humble opinion like if it had an ecu map it wasnt right to have the lights on?

Stav

That doesn't seem right to me?

What do you mean by stage one upgrade?

Just a pully or pulley/injectors/ and ecu?

Sounds to my humble opinion like if it had an ecu map it wasnt right to have the lights on?

Or underfuelling if it didnt have a map?

Stav

I had the stage 1 pulley, katana manifold, katana intercooler, larger injectors, FCon V-pro, Camcon, closed loop feedback system, LCP

Was it your car parked at tdi when we had the RR day?

Yes it was, I was supposed to collect it that day but there was a major delay with the injectors and TDI did not provide a courtesy car untill the following week

Yes it was, I was supposed to collect it that day but there was a major delay with the injectors and TDI did not provide a courtesy car untill the following week

I have a spare std engine 2 1g-gte engines and a 1g-fe with steel rods/forged pistons which may help.

Steve has the 1g-fe and a 1g-gte @ charlesworth and if you want I can sort something out for you.

Drop me a PM if you want will do my best for you

You will need the code from Tdi for the FCON as I'd not be happy using the current map so would take it to another pwoerwriter to get a decent map done

I have a spare std engine 2 1g-gte engines and a 1g-fe with steel rods/forged pistons which may help.

Steve has the 1g-fe and a 1g-gte @ charlesworth and if you want I can sort something out for you.

Drop me a PM if you want will do my best for you

You will need the code from Tdi for the FCON as I'd not be happy using the current map so would take it to another pwoerwriter to get a decent map done

I may be interested in the 1G-FE with forged internals, the thing is I am totally broke at the moment. I appreciate it very much though. Will drop you a pm. I thought that TDI would have kept the boost well within safe limits so never asked them!!

Man that sucks big time. Can i ask what power and torque the car was running before she popped ??? Just ask as mine and yemgi's are running quite high and if this is on the cards i'll be turning down the boost on mine. Both me and yemgi have done quite a few thousand miles on ours though so this could be down do a faulty rod or maybe something else maybe with the install we wont know untill the assement comes back.

Again sorry to see this mate hope you can get it sorted with TDi

.5 is the general boost you'd expect from a larger pully.

A boost gauge may well be a good investment next time ;)

But i wouldnt be happy with all the lights on the dash. It does sound to me like a dodgy map, but i'm no professional.

I have a recollection of TDi putting up a power graph of a car with Camcon on WIM recently, was that yours?

stav

I'd ask for the full read out from when it was mapped.

This will give AFR - temp etc - this will enable/help an engineer to determine if the map was a cause or contributed to the failure. Will also say what boost its running at

All of this data is available from the dyno Tdi-plc use

But i wouldnt be happy with all the lights on the dash. It does sound to me like a dodgy map, but i'm no professional.

I have a recollection of TDi putting up a power graph of a car with Camcon on WIM recently, was that yours?

stav

Yes that was mine I dont have the power graph with me but I think she was putting out roughly 195 BHP at the wheels and 178 lb of torque

stav

Yes that was mine I dont have the power graph with me but I think she was putting out roughly 195 BHP at the wheels and 178 lb of torque

Don't mean to make you feel worse but Lee_icemans made 188 bhp at the wheels at the TDI-PLC rolling road and its a bog standard TTE supercharged car............

stav

Don't mean to make you feel worse but Lee_icemans made 188 bhp at the wheels at the TDI-PLC rolling road and its a bog standard TTE supercharged car............

But that would be in the region of 235 at the fly surely that cant be right?

stav

But that would be in the region of 235 at the fly surely that cant be right?

Pictures of the dyno print out are on here somewhere. Lee's seems to give good power. Was done at Tdi at the dyno day. yemgi's (same as yours less bigger pully) was 194 I believe both done on same dyno by same operator within an hour of each other

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links