Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Illegal Plates

Rob's Lexx

I have a private plat to go on mine, but doing it after I have been to the Nurburgring.

I have had 2 sets of plates made up, both with Legal sized lettering , but 1 with set

with slightly naughty spacing, the other completely legal in every respect. The spacing

is quite subtle tho so hopefully I should be ok.

if the price is right Ian.....couple of hundred should be enough :lol: :winky:
Thank you so much for that kind offer............... !

no worries mate......shall i pencil you in for saturday :whistling::lol:

:mat:

Mine have the Lexus logo on the left (where a flag would go).

If they get arsey I'll just scribe it, snap it off along the scribe mark and stick it down alongside, butting neatly up to, but not forming part of, the numberplate.

:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

dscf3289ze4yn5.jpg

Its just a reflective sticker

That one falls short of the reg thats states the plate must conform to British standards, there are no stick on plates that meet the BS at the mo.

As for the flag/logos you get on the side, I would have thought it could be argued that the logo is out of the area of the plate, as long as the 11mm spacing between the letters and the margin is mainted, It would be difficult for them to dispute that. (as long as the reflective area does not sorround the logo.)

just been told by a local motorfactor that having something printed at the bottom of the plate on the banner is ok.....

i'm not sure it is, has anyone got this on their car and had any problems??

The PDF guide linked on the 1st page states:

ReflectivityThe British Standard also requires that a number plate must be marked with the followinginformation: -

- The British Standard Number (currently BS AU 145d)

- The name, trade mark, or other means of identification of the manufacturer or componentsupplier. (The company who actually make the number plate.)

- The name and postcode of the supplying outlet. (The 'supplying outlet' is taken to mean acompany whose business consists wholly or partly of selling number plates.)

- A non-reflective border and the Euro-symbol with the national identification letters areoptional additions.

- There shall be no other markings or material contained on the number plate.

Best way to get away with that is get a plate sorround that allows somthing to added to it.

• 1 year later...

half the time i dont think the police know whats what.

i have a plate on my car which is an irish number plate and contains the letter I. as in FIL. i have been pulled many times and told its cant be a 1 (one). a 1 (one) a plate as you all know is just a line. as the letter I was never issed in uk no one can make me a plate with an I in it. i currently have 2 odd plates on my car the front has 1 (one) and the back has !1(one) with a carefully painted dot on it making it into a lower case I so the real plate reads FiL.

As an mot tester, when i get stopped now, i show my VOSA i.d. card and ask the officer which plate he would prefer.

strangley enough i never had a ticket since having my VOSA i.d. card. after all whats the point in making me take my car to an mot testing station when i work at one