Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fog Lights With Breaks Lights

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I no longer have fog lights :blush:

As French law says I must have ones, I would like to connect it to brake lights :hehe:

CamPic8.jpg

ps : I still have not finished the cf coating for the boot hood, that's why it is protected :hocus-pokus:

Simple if you know your what you doing and placing your diodes correctly. Luckily I had my mate who knows anything and everything... :shifty:  :P

Ah ha...so you didn't do it yourself :lol:

Nice one...see you at Gaydon ;)

Sorry Sanj? Who worked out how it all went in????

Simple if you know your what you doing and placing your diodes correctly. Luckily I had my mate who knows anything and everything... :shifty:  :P

Hi Paul, so you were the mastermind behind it all. B)

And there was Sanj taking all the credit :blush:

Hi Paul, so you were the mastermind behind it all. B)

And there was Sanj taking all the credit :blush:

hold on, didn't I say I have a friend who knowz everything about everything!? Like I said I had my fair share of the work! :P :D :lol:

I gotta take some credit! :P

p.s. paul...next time u ain't sitting in my car, na, na, na!!! :P :lol:

He didnt even know wat a diode was! or even read the diagram, but he did help with the soldering as i am crap at it!

U going 2 Gaydon on Sunday fella? if u r i will c u there

Paul

He didnt even know wat a diode was! or even read the diagram, but he did help with the soldering as i am crap at it!

U going 2 Gaydon on Sunday fella? if u r i will c u there

Paul

Like I said I had my fair share of the work!!!! :P

p.s. u still ain't getting in my car!!! :P

Is this legal?

NO...strictly speaking I don't think it is legal. I don't know too much about the legality of this, but I do know that it looks really cool B).

Zee and AndyHart know a bit more about this so they maybe able to answer with the fact :)

Is this legal?

I've already answered that on page 1. Anyway personally I don't really know...only one way to find out IF and when I get pulled over by cops! ;) :P

P.S. Might put a switch on as a precaution?!?! What do you think Paul? Can you do that? :P

Yep its poss! Will mean running a wire all the way to the dash and putting a switch in that will break the circuit. Easy, but i dought the cops will notice, wat u worried about anyway!!!!

Yep its poss! Will mean running a wire all the way to the dash and putting a switch in that will break the circuit. Easy, but i dought the cops will notice, wat u worried about anyway!!!!

Well its just a precaution...we'll have 2 discuss that later!!! Get your tool kits ready AGAIN! :P :D

I hate to do this to you guys but the converstion of rear fog lamps for use to other than fog lamps i.e. into brake lights is an offence under the Road Vehicles Lighting regulations 1989

(extract from the act):

as in may not be used in the following circumstances:

Rear fog lamp

(a) Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to the driver of a following vehicle.

(B) Used so as to be lit at any time other than in conditions of seriously reduced visibility

© Save in the case of an emergency vehicle, used so as to be lit when a vehicle is parked.

And as if that was not enough the act also states specifically:

No rear fog lamp shall be fitted to any vehicle so that it can be illuminated by the application of any braking system on the vehicle

I hate to do this to you guys but the converstion of rear fog lamps for use to other than fog lamps i.e. into brake lights is an offence under the Road Vehicles Lighting regulations 1989

(extract from the act):

as in may not be used in the following circumstances:

Rear fog lamp

(a) Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to the driver of a following vehicle.

(B) Used so as to be lit at any time other than in conditions of seriously reduced visibility

© Save in the case of an emergency vehicle, used so as to be lit when a vehicle is parked.

And as if that was not enough the act also states specifically:

No rear fog lamp shall be fitted to any vehicle so that it can be illuminated by the application of any braking system on the vehicle

;) :ohmy::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby: can't stop crying now... :crybaby::crybaby: :( :angry:

cheer up, don't suppose you could get dual filament bulbs, one dimmer for the brake application then other brighter for the fogs??

Just a thought - bit like headlights on some cars.

The conversion uses dual filament lamps kev, the dimmer one being for the tail lights and the brighter filament for the brake lights. They still work as fog lights when required.

To be honest, I don't really care that it contravenes the road vehicles lighting regulations, I reckon that making you more visible when braking has to be a good thing. It cant be that bad as this is standard on JDM spec cars. It doesn't dazzle anyone because the larger filament used in the twin filament lamps is exactly the same wattage as a regular fog light lamp. I will probably get some replies saying that the reflector design is different on fog lights making them brighter blah blah blah, but if you follow a car with this done, they are no brighter than the brake lights.

It is not really going to cause anyone a problem until MOT time anyway, unless you get a very clued up police officer :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:

For your MOT it can be reversed by simply disconnecting one wire.

Yet another stupid British law............... :angry:

The conversion uses dual filament lamps kev, the dimmer one being for the tail lights and the brighter filament for the brake lights. They still work as fog lights when required.

To be honest, I don't really care that it contravenes the road vehicles lighting regulations, I reckon that making you more visible when braking has to be a good thing. It cant be that bad as this is standard on JDM spec cars. It doesn't dazzle anyone because the larger filament used in the twin filament lamps is exactly the same wattage as a regular fog light lamp. I will probably get some replies saying that the reflector design is different on fog lights making them brighter blah blah blah, but if you follow a car with this done, they are no brighter than the brake lights.

It is not really going to cause anyone a problem until MOT time anyway, unless you get a very clued up police officer :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:

For your MOT it can be reversed by simply disconnecting one wire.

Yet another stupid British law............... :angry:

Andy, feel better now mate. I aggree with you, esp' when braking, people can see you more clearly and brake in time (hope anyway :blush::unsure: )

One thing for sure...Law is there... to be broken...or bend a little... :blush: :P

Hmmmm....I must be missing something here.

This is the exact conversion that I wanted but when I read the instructions I only found

reference to brake & fog lights. No mention of the "side" lights or replacing the lamp holder

with a dual filament one.

Could someone please explain :withstupid:

Thanks, Rick.

even if you do the simple conversion using the single bulb, it is still not as bright as the fog......heres why

the reflkector that is used on a european car is the same reflector that is used in cars around the world that do not have fog lights fitted........its the same part number in europe,japan and the US

NOW.........if you brake and put your fog lights on ....they are the same brightness

so, with the single conversion, they will come on with the brake lights.......for a couple of seconds....but also allow you to use them as noirmal funcyioning fog lights.....fog lights generally look brighter cos they are constantly lit

the dual conversion uses a duel filament bulb and holder, this allows the fogs to be used as:-

fogs

side lights

brake lights

i have the simple conversion done that makes them:-

fog lights

brake lights

andyhart and fluff will possibly have the wireing diagrams for the dual filament

i have done this mod on someone elses car and its simple to do....all it basically is, is the single filament mod, but using the wire that comes from the tail lights to power the second filament..........if you follow

guys, all ive got to say is....

i just LOVE messing about with light conversions n this thread is simply MEGA!! :yahoo::yahoo: cnt wait to get out there in the morning and get started!!

*so excited right now.... about to make some sort of a mess..* :whistling:

keep it up fellas!!

i have to say.. im realy suprised at how much attention is being given to the "law" regarding minor light conversions... :blink:

there wasnt one legal light on my previous car... -conversions GALORE!!!!! porkies never bothered me once.... :ph34r: oh well.. i hope thats not tempting fate!!! :whistling:

Paul B

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links