HP and Torque for IS200

Hi all,

In the Lexus IS200 specs, the ratings are:

Power = 114/6,200 kW/r.p.m (EEC)

Torque = 195/4,600 NEm/r.p.m (EEC)

But on Toyota's Jap website, the ratings for the 6 cycl. are:

Power = 118/6,200 kW/r.p.m

Torque = 200/4,400 NEm/r.p.m

Can anyone comment on the why there r different ratings ??? Does it mean that Toyota detuned the car for Lexus model ???

it may be because the fuel in japan is a higher rating thus giving more power!

Based on your assumption, i would deduce that:

The lexus user manual recommends RON95 petrol. so by using this grade we get 114 KW

If we use a higher grade petrol - RON98, one will get 118KW

Difference = 4 KW

WOAH!!! :D:D:D

Your observation is right !

The specification for the Lexus IS200 or Toyota Altezza AS200 in Japan says 160 bhp (118kW) and 200 Nm in torque.

Elsewhere this figure is 115kW (156bhp) and 195Nm in torque.

The fuel octane is not the reason for this. I talked to Lexus in Stockholm about this a while back and the mechanic said that the non-Japan versions have more restricted catalytic converters (more effective that is) due to tougher emission laws than in Japan.

It is not recommended that you use a higher octane fuel than 95 octane. You can reduce the life of the engine as it is not tuned for 98 octane.

Buy a free-flow sports exhaust instead and you can free those extra 4 bhp.

Don't want to disappoint you but 4 bhp extra is hardly noticeable. It's like farting in space or peeing in the Nile river (a Swedish saying)!! :-))

Maybe you are right it's your word against Lexus chief mechanic in Stockholm with 15 years experience of Toyota and Lexus cars...

I'm just telling it like I heard it can neither confirm nor deny but I think it sounds credible.

If not the catalytic converter then there is a restriction somewhere along the exhaust system that's definite !

there are 3 cats fitted to the IS200,when i was discussing options with my "contact" at TTE the topic of cat restriction came up,acording to him the cats on the is200 are very good for the power output of the engine,however would recomend ,"work" on them if more bhp /tuning was being carried out on the engine

i think that part of the restriction in power on the euro cars is........fuel........and EEC emission rulings,all things that are controled within the cars ECU........i would guess that if a JDM ECU was fitted to a Euro car we also would get 200bhp as standered(aslong as were using the 100ron fuel,98+optimax)

dboey........if you had read the post you would of seen several facts..............

there are 3 cats fitted to the IS200,when i was discussing options with my "contact" at TTE the topic of cat restriction came up,acording to him the cats on the is200 are very good for the power output of the engine

so that means........by removing the cats you WILL NOT get more power from the IS200,even with the supercharger fitted

you will have to .....

Remove the cat to get more power....

if you require more bhp than this engine and its exhaust was designed for,i.e 250+ bhp,

please read the posts before comenting,it would save me time repeating factual infomation then............:rolleyes:

Maybe you are right it's your word against Lexus chief mechanic in Stockholm with 15 years experience of Toyota and Lexus cars...

I'm just telling it like I heard it can neither confirm nor deny but I think it sounds credible.

If not the catalytic converter then there is a restriction somewhere along the exhaust system that's definite !

LOL! yeah i know where ur coming from george, all i can say is that the emmisions laws in Japan are really strict and the cars are fitted with loads of anti-pollution equipment - charcoal filters etc so thats why i would assume the cats in JP are more restictive.

Hi SuperchargedIS200, I understand from AAI motorsports that removing the cat will give more torque like having a straight thru pipe. AAI motorsports have been racing in ATOCC with Altezza and they have upgraded Supercharged IS200. An article about their supercharged IS200 is featured in the Option Taiwan magazine. I understand your contact from TTE, Beyer and his view maybe on the safe side. (more conservative)

Anyway like 4 bhp will make a difference!

Principally the question is interesting but not for finding the bottle-neck for squeezing those extra bhp out.

Anyway it wiil be maybe 2 bhp extra at the rear wheels via the tramission !

By the way did you know that the Altezza RS200 with the 3S-GTE turbo engine has a red line that stats at 8000 rpm. Ours only goes to 6500 rpm.

If the IS200 would go to 8000 rpm that could mean another 20 bhp.

Hi John Lee-is that why the IS200 has a built in rev limiter? Its a bit un-nerving when you hit it and the engine revs die:o

hi Wallace,

as mentioned in my previous msg, my statement was purely speculative although it could be a logical likelihood :D:D:D

Frankly, i don't feel comfortable hitting the redline too often :)

Frankly, i don't feel comfortable hitting the redline too often

I can't resist - I do it all the time! The car feels like it's made to be driven hard. I just hope lexus engineering will hold it all together!

I didn't feel "comfortable" when the rev-limiter cut in! I thought i was in 3rd and not 2nd when i booted it, it was more the way it cut the revs off , quite a sharp de-acceleration. Still get caught with the six speed box-must be old age:yawn:

kno wot you mean - it was a bit of a shock the first time - thought I'd broken something. Now I try to change up just short of the rev limit.

I did once change down to 3rd instead of 5th on the motorway...:o The car didn't seem to like that!