Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

It's Dying!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, what model of FCD did you buy?

Theres type H, F3, and STD.

Its the STD you need. Probaly about setting 8 you'll want it on but if you find the car cutting out or anything drop it down one, but be careful, go too low your car will run lean and blow.

As for fitting, its the same as the TTE black box, 4 wires, +12v, Earth, input, and output.

The HKS website will give you a fitting guide. but basically, the black wire to the black wire, red to red, then the yellow wire to the ECU side, and white to the sensor side.

Stav

whats the diffrence in the settings what do the others do

Basically there's 12 setting, setting 12 is like not having it at all.

and as you go down the range it gives a more clipped signal.

The range (i believe on the IS200) is 0-5v. so on setting 12 if the input is 4.34v (the peak the black box allows) then it will give an output of 4.34.

whereas on setting one, and input of 4.34 will give an output of around 2.9 volts

And various setting give outputs between there.

As you can see its dangerous to have it too low cause if the Main ECU sees such a low air pressure input it'll under fuel cause disastrous consequences.

I reckon about setting 8 as it doesn't go about 8 cause at about 4.5v input (the compressor peak) it gives about 4.34v output (the same as the tte black box caps it at)

Stav

• 4 weeks later...

I fitted the FCD a little while ago, and have some pictures i can post if anyone is still interested. (can't do it right now though.)

Problem is... IT DOES NOT WORK! I'm not pleased, but do not have the time or money to do much about it right now!

I have tried it on every setting from 6 to 10 and so far, and it will cut when on full throttle on any of them! I can drive moderatly fast, but as soon as i'm hard on it, kangaroo effect, like being kicked up the *****!

Could the FCD be dodgy? It's the only thing i can think of. It wasn't new.

I fitted the FCD a little while ago, and have some pictures i can post if anyone is still interested. (can't do it right now though.)

Problem is... IT DOES NOT WORK! I'm not pleased, but do not have the time or money to do much about it right now!

I have tried it on every setting from 6 to 10 and so far, and it will cut when on full throttle on any of them! I can drive moderatly fast, but as soon as i'm hard on it, kangaroo effect, like being kicked up the *****!

Could the FCD be dodgy? It's the only thing i can think of. It wasn't new.

If yours is not working, then its the 1st i know of, have you fitted it right ? and what sort is it ? dont just say HKS FCD as there are more than one type.

Stav and Mark have had there's fitted, set @ 9 and are working fine.

Well it was fitted as described on this thread (see photo) so that shouldn't be a problem. Also, I didn't fit it myself, but had it done by a local garage, the guy who works on Nigal Mansel's cars. If he's good enough for him, he's good enough for me! But i didn't get him to test it or antyhing cos i was in a hurry!

Not entirely sure if it's the right one, but think it is a standard one (see photo). Will try it on settings 11 and 12, but might be dodgy, and i'll have to get a new one, as long as yours are working fine then it should be ok. Black box from TTE is over 300EURO!

30012008201-001.jpg

24022008274.jpg

No mate, The Yellow and white swap round.

Yellow on the FCD to where the Green of the black box was. and Vice versa.

I thought that was as per your description earlier in this tread.

Black -- Black

Red -- Red

White -- Yellow

Yellow -- Green.

It is certainly rigged up to the same four wires as the black box originally was!

Is yours different?

Ahh did he just chop the wires off the original box and join onto them? i see now

Hmm, not sure without looking at it personally mate, did you ever get the fault code read from when you first had the problem?

Stav

fitted my HKS FCD today on setting 8 drove around a bit but it didnt feel the same as it did with the black tte ecu not as much respones in lower gears any suggestions.

thanks

wayne

did you change the setting mate?

Does it work ok now?

Stav

yeh thats the one! just chopped off the offending black box in one snip! then stripped the wire a little and soldered, then covered in heat shrink - the proper way!

i didn't ever get the fault codes read, lexus want £100 an hour to check it, and im struggling to affford petrol and insurance as it is!!

i think i may have solved it now! now i had been assuming (assumption being the mother of all fudge-ups) that to reset the ecu i had to disconnect the Battery for say...10 mins or so? but it may be that it takes longer than that.

just pulled the ecu fuses and disconnected the Battery for an hour. think i may not have reset the ecu at all every time i changed the setting and thought that i had!!! in theory, i now have. its ok round town, but i wont really be able to tell until i get a chance to boot it after work.

got the (!) warning light comin on now thou!! comes on the first time i brake, then just stays on (til i cut iignition). think the pads might be low thou. is that likely to be causing it?

got the code reader, £29! but think i've sussed it. again, down to my own stupidity really! didnt reconnect centre brake light properly when in checking out the 6x9s!!!

running fcd on 9 now, almost perfect. i managed to get it to kick, fuel cutting i think, but i had to push real hard to do it!! so nearly there...but not quite!

• 2 weeks later...