Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear Brake Pads Worn On One Side

My brakes recently started making a grinding noise - I took both rear wheels off and it looks as if the pads on one wheel have worn down completely, whereas the other side looks as if it has not worked since the pad was changed (the pad still has the 'lip' from when it was new).

Unfortunately, on the other side it has worn down to bare metal and scored the back of the disk.

Any ideas what might cause this? And how much would Lexus like to relieve me of to replace both rear discs and pads?

My brakes recently started making a grinding noise - I took both rear wheels off and it looks as if the pads on one wheel have worn down completely, whereas the other side looks as if it has not worked since the pad was changed (the pad still has the 'lip' from when it was new).

Unfortunately, on the other side it has worn down to bare metal and scored the back of the disk.

Any ideas what might cause this? And how much would Lexus like to relieve me of to replace both rear discs and pads?

Your caliper is stuck on one side, it needs freeing or service kit for the caliper from Lexus, dont know any price as it might just be able to repair it without using the kit.

Which model GS? Mk1 or Mk2?

If it's a Mk1 (was there a Mk1 SE?) it is a seized slider rather than the caliper itself. There is only one piston, and if that was stuck neither pad would wear.

If it's a Mk2, the caliper has two opposed pistons, so one must be stuck.

It's a Mk II..

I took it to the nice people at Lexus Hatfield who who fitted new disks and pads for less than I had imagined.

They reckoned the pistons were all moving freely but said that the pad that was worn was angled slightly in the caliper. It sounds as if there was no obvious reason for it to wear the way it has.

I actually changed the brake fluid when I changed the rear pads (about six months ago) and everything seemed fine. It's odd that I didn't hear the shim before the pad wore through - probably due to my taste in music..

I'll keep an eye on them this time.

Anyway, thumbs up to Lexus Hatfield - they fitted me in at short notice and fitted them while I waited.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links