Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Spun It!

Vyker

I spun my IS at a roundabout.

I was driving down a country lane, its a looooong straight road, doing usual speed.

At the end of the road there is a roundabout, so i was braking hard dropping down the gears, but i don't think i slowed down enough....

as i entered the roundabout, still hard on the brakes, i dropped it into second, the car was carrying too many revs, so as i engaged the clutch, the back wheels went, as i was already turning into the roundabout, and the balance of the car nose down/front heavy, the back went, i did a full 360, thank god i hit nothing and there were no other cars, reversed it straight and drove on.

A close call, but all my own fault, the car was still cold, had been in it 1/2mins, i shouldn't have taken it into second, i probably would have had enough grip to coast it round in 3rd, then change later......

But boy is it one hell of an adrenalin rush! thankfully i stayed sharp and cool, i think i did my best to keep it on the road and not hit the kerbs, id be lying if i claim i steered it to safety but id like to think i corrected it slightly and reacted quickly. :P

Drive safe LOC'ers

Signing out, a pumped Vyker!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noothing like the buz of some sideways! always scary when its unintentional tho!! Well done for keeping it on the grey stuff!

Next time your changing down in to a gear try bliping the throttle so the revs are closer to matching the speed of the car, that way the rear wheels wont lock when the engine load forces them to slow down.

It takes practice but is a great way to avoid spinning again!

I spun my IS at a roundabout.

I was driving down a country lane, its a looooong straight road, doing usual speed.

At the end of the road there is a roundabout, so i was braking hard dropping down the gears, but i don't think i slowed down enough....

as i entered the roundabout, still hard on the brakes, i dropped it into second, the car was carrying too many revs, so as i engaged the clutch, the back wheels went, as i was already turning into the roundabout, and the balance of the car nose down/front heavy, the back went, i did a full 360, thank god i hit nothing and there were no other cars, reversed it straight and drove on.

A close call, but all my own fault, the car was still cold, had been in it 1/2mins, i shouldn't have taken it into second, i probably would have had enough grip to coast it round in 3rd, then change later......

But boy is it one hell of an adrenalin rush! thankfully i stayed sharp and cool, i think i did my best to keep it on the road and not hit the kerbs, id be lying if i claim i steered it to safety but id like to think i corrected it slightly and reacted quickly. :P

Drive safe LOC'ers

Signing out, a pumped Vyker!

Sounds more like stupid irresponsible driving to me :crybaby :angry:

Vyker,

1. What were the driving conditions? Wet? Icy?

2. What tyres have you got on the car? Premium, Mid-range or budget tyres?

3. How much tread are on those rear tyres?

Doesnt really matter what of the above he has.. he already knows what caused it

but i don't think i slowed down enough....

going to fast!

Im surprised oldcro can even read these threads, the writing must appear tiny from way up there on his high horse. :P

Sounds more like stupid irresponsible driving to me :crybaby :angry:

Well i never claimed otherwise, as the quote below, but thanks for your comment anyway!

but all my own fault,
Vyker,

1. What were the driving conditions? Wet? Icy?

2. What tyres have you got on the car? Premium, Mid-range or budget tyres?

3. How much tread are on those rear tyres?

The roads are wet round here Kam, i just bought a set of Dunlop SP3000A tyres, premium stuff, plenty of tread, great tyres, not so great driver :P

going to fast!

Im surprised oldcro can even read these threads, the writing must appear tiny from way up there on his high horse. :P

Hehe, you're right Loggy, but i prefer "didnt slow down" as opposed to "going too fast".

Thanks for the comments everyone!

going to fast!

No i'm not on any high horse. If the article had been written as an observer seeing a BMW driver doing the same thing, everyone would have taken the **** out of the driver. But if you drive a Lexus, you suddenly become a heroic do no wrong driver. The man approached the roundabout far too fast and had no chance of stopping if the need arose. Yes he is going to say he could see the road is clear, but there is always the one in a million chance that a kiddy he did not spot rides into his path at the last moment.

Call me what you like, but if I save a life by doing so then so be it.

going to fast!

No i'm not on any high horse. If the article had been written as an observer seeing a BMW driver doing the same thing, everyone would have taken the **** out of the driver. But if you drive a Lexus, you suddenly become a heroic do no wrong driver. The man approached the roundabout far too fast and had no chance of stopping if the need arose. Yes he is going to say he could see the road is clear, but there is always the one in a million chance that a kiddy he did not spot rides into his path at the last moment.

No one is a 'heroic do no wrong driver' just because they drive a lexus. I know some people round my way that no matter what car they're in they are :tsktsk: .

No one was saying that Vyker was the man for not ditching it or that he was in the right for approaching a roundabout at a speed not suitable.

I also believe the high horse remark to be a joke and not meant with any malice. I'm sure Vyker has learnt his lesson about slowing down from the brown stains on his seat.

All in all, can we just all get along :D

I agree with oldcro - no one should ever 's*x-up' irresponsible driving (but then I don't think Vyker meant it that way). No one can say they're a do-no-wrong driver because we've all misjudged a situation - the trick is making sure your error of judgment is at a time when no one gets hurt and you learn from it.

Vyker made a mistake, as every one of us does every day - can't blame the tyres, the conditions or anything else - learn from it and move on. No more bickering :(

I agree with oldcro - no one should ever 's*x-up' irresponsible driving (but then I don't think Vyker meant it that way). No one can say they're a do-no-wrong driver because we've all misjudged a situation - the trick is making sure your error of judgment is at a time when no one gets hurt and you learn from it.

Vyker made a mistake, as every one of us does every day - can't blame the tyres, the conditions or anything else - learn from it and move on. No more bickering :(

Lets clear this up then eh!

Firstly, I understand what Oldcro is saying, but what i dislike about his comments, is that he has rushed into the assumption that my situation this morning is something i choose to do deliberately. I did not choose to spin my car around, nor was i speeding as other LOC'ers seem to suggest, I know that I made a mistake by changing gear too early, I never claimed it was the fault of anyone else, it was the fault of my misjudgment, a mistake.

My post was simply to vent my relief that, thank god, no one was hurt, or no damage was done and that i could drive away safely, for that to then be interpreted as to glorify unsafe driving is a little distressing, as this particular roundabout is one i drive round daily, and i would consider myself an aware driver.

For Oldcro to then assume that i'm unaware and rush in with the statement that, god forbid, a small child would be a potential risk of the consequences of my mistake, is unfair and unsettling, regardless of its harsh truth. I know this!

So none of the comments are uncalled for, and I'm thankful that nothing happened, and i thank you all for your comments, but just a note to Oldcro, don't rush to assumptions, in most cases they tend to be unfounded, especially when I've provided you with so little information to assume i will run over a child!

Anyhow, safe driving everyone :)

to actually 360 it you must have been going waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too fast not just a wee bit fast!

Ofcourse not, you can 360 a car doing next to no mph! as soon as the wheels spin with no grip, you go round, and that can happen at 10mph, 50mph or 100mph!

Theres also enough shift in balance of the car to take it round without using any of the force generate from the speed of the car, bit like the pendulum effect

Thank you A-level Physics :P

to actually 360 it you must have been going waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too fast not just a wee bit fast!

Ofcourse not, you can 360 a car doing next to no mph! as soon as the wheels spin with no grip, you go round, and that can happen at 10mph, 50mph or 100mph!

Theres also enough shift in balance of the car to take it round without using any of the force generate from the speed of the car, bit like the pendulum effect

Thank you A-level Physics :P

to 360 it you will have needed to be going very fast round the corner for the spinning momentum to whip it past the 180 degree point. at the 180 degree point it would have either stopped or started to slide backwards due to the small amount of momentum released at such a claimed speed.

it would have only gone past 180 degrees if you were driving extremely fast, or you kept your foot on the accelerator to spin it through the next 180. or at the 180 point you were in complete control and you released the brakes and j turned out of the skid.

or you hyped the 360 part up and you lost control and parked it backwards.

not having a dig as i've lost control (as most of us probably have but wont admit to) before. but to 360 you must have been tonking along and being dangerous.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links