Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Rattle On Cold Start

3 minutes ago, PatrickD9 said:

I found this link as below, any thought guys?

http://www.troublecodes.net/pcodes/p0019/

Seems to relate to what I thought in a post above regarding the P0019 being the one throwing up the other codes - but looking at the page it does give you some steps to rule out certain components like the sensor etc - would be worth the time before going down the route of replacing parts... checking out the sensor first would be a good start.

One last question re your comment:  "But you have an issue with where the oil is going - no leaks seems to suggest its being burnt if its not entering the coolant?"

What symptom would i expect to see if oil is being burnt or entering coolant?

Car runs quite smooth and it still got a bit of poke, so no performance issue I've noticed.

Thanks again,

Patrick.

1 minute ago, PatrickD9 said:

One last question re your comment:  "But you have an issue with where the oil is going - no leaks seems to suggest its being burnt if its not entering the coolant?"

What symptom would i expect to see if oil is being burnt or entering coolant?

Car runs quite smooth and it still got a bit of poke, so no performance issue I've noticed.

Thanks again,

Patrick.

You will have the obvious symptoms of oil in the coolant - eggy smell from coolant / creamy (mayonnaise type) on the oil cap and in and around the oil cap screw in the engine / oil stained and discoloured coolant

Your exhaust tips will be more sooty that normal - place a bit of white A4 paper against the exhausts when the cars running (get some one to lightly rev it a bit) - if it leaves a dark stain on the paper then theres a good chance its burning oil, does not matter which one you do this against as they are fed from one exhaust pipe

Breather pipes are a good sign also of a gunked up engine but can also indicate, especially in summer, when the oil cap is creamy that its has condensation in the engine.

If it was burning oil I guess, then it would throw up a fault code from the down stream sensor on the exhaust as the car cannot correct the issue as this sensor would relate info to the pre-cat sensor telling it to adjust fuel/air mix and so get into a loop that it cant fix and throw a wobbler ...!  - so, thinking about it I don't think it will be burning oil but good to rule out.

Is the correct oil grade being used? I had an issue a while back with Castrol Edge. It was the correct grade and I had only bought it because it was on offer - I had always used Magnatec but swapped this one time to Edge and it did over the 6 months noticeably use oil as I needed to top it up a couple of times. I changed back to Magnatec and have used this since with no issue whatsoever.

Going to get 2nd opinion re error codes, guy had quick look on Friday - plugged in an reckoned that the issue is electrical / sensor not chain as Main Dealer had identified. Dropping car there this afternoon for fuller investigation so hope to know more later today, will post..

Thanks David & is200Newbie for suggestions and comment.

@PatrickD9How many miles did you do for 1 litre of oil to drop? What oil was used at last service?
The garage can check connections at ECU and scope the sensor to see if they are behaving correctly, if they are then it will be timing related. 

Interesting observation: I think I previously mentioned that I've had this noise on start up occasionally but I've since figured out that it only seems to happen when the car is started from cold and it has been parked facing my house. What does whether its facing the house have to do with it? My drive is on a slope o if its facing downhill it happens (not always just intermittently) but when parked facing uphill it has never happened.

Today I did the first home oil and filter change - on my other cars I would always at least part fill the oil filter but on the Lexus you can't because of the type of filter and the fact the filter sits horizontally.

Even though I cranked the car for a few seconds after changing the filter and refilling with oil, when it started it made the same brief noise I get occasionally on cold start up.

I wonder if the car is left at certain angles if the oil drains from the filter and hence you get the start up noise? Feasible?

20 hours ago, david gray said:

now you have changed oil and filter get in touch with powerenhancer.co.uk and ask for ar9100 advanced friction modifier and add to oil.

if you want more details just  contact me.

regards dave

I had a quick Google on AR9100 but frankly don't see the benefit if the oil is being changed every 5k miles.