Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx300 - Newbie

Thinking of going for an RX300 what do I look for. Looking for a used model 03/04 plate. What costs? tyres, servicing, general consumables. How different from a GS300SE? Real economy figures, comfort etc. hat goes wrong? ANything? There seems to be a lot of them around!!

Any thoughts/comments greatly appreciated.

Although not entirely helpful to you - best advice I would give is to pop down to a Dealer and test drive a couple. Push buttons, flick switches and see how you like the overall ride and feel for one. I'm sure it'll be very different to your GS - is it something you could live with on a daily basis?

Then if you're sure, phone around some Dealers for servicing prices (which vary) and go from there. But be prepared for circa 20'ish MPG in town and I guess 25MPG (w/cruise set @80MPH) on the motorway.

Edited by ColinBarber

Got my Mk1 300SE about 3 weeks ago......find to and from work driven normally ;) I get around 22mpg....driven gently but not like a comatose 80 year old I can get 27.....like the car but the ride is a little "jiggly" not as smooth as I thought it would be.....

Better at higher speeds on fast A roads and the motorway...the ride is great...but around town slowly....hmmm...they could work on thier damper settings!

Best regards David

quick additional edit.....I guess its typical Japanese ride and drive....dead easy to drive...totally effortless, but rides a bit "off".....ok for normal driving.....great if you don't want to "get involved" but not a BMW X5 for handling...then again the X5 is not as luxurious as the RX....take your choice?

Sorry...another edit....I wanted an armchair for getting to work in after years of BMW whizzers....and I got it......I like it.....

doesnt help very much...but hey...its late...just watched French Connection (damn thats a good film) and my bottle of rum is half empty now! :winky:

Thanks for the prompt replies to both! Not had a test drive jut yet as just been window(web) shopping. But hoping to set the ball rolling this weekend!

Be aware that the SE_L models have air suspension so would advise driving with and without. My opinion was that air suspension gives useful ride height/levelling capability and is better at higher speeds. Coils are better at low speeds on rough surface but more bouncy at higher speeds.

MPG - I have a 350 but get about 20 in town and 25-28 on motorway.

Servicing - first one as about 190 and 20,000 miles was 475 but this included new front discs and pads. Service only was 280 I think.

Tyres -I got about 18K out of the originals and cost 600 to replace all four with Dunlops.

Faults - a creaky glove box when very cold and I had drivers seat replaced because the cushion went soft on me (I am a larger boned gentleman :whistling: )

Overall - excellent car (I had a GS430 before it).

I have had my Mk 11 RX300 for a year and am still loving it. A major service at a Lexus centre cost two hundred pounds, that was with my Gold membership discount.

So far I have had no problems and don't really expect any.

The Sat nav package with reversing camera is excellent so well worth spending a bit more to get an SE model with this fitted, there are plenty of them out there.

My preference is for the lighter interior, again plenty to choose from so take the time to compare the black leather with the lighter colours.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links