Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ever Hear Of A Gs Being Stolen?

Some shady looking characters were spotted by my neighbour in my driveway having a look at my gs430. Does anybody know how effective the security system in these cars is? Can they be easily knicked without the key? Is it a case of "where theres a will, there's a way" - if they want it badly enough, they will find a way of bypassing system? I'm not sure if I am more concerned about losing the car or them breaking into my house to get the key!

I once saw a serise three GS300 on eBay which was stolen recovered. I wouldn't have thought that hot wiring the car was a posobility. What they tend to do now is break into your house and look for the keys which I think was the case of the car on eBay. Another thing you can do is disconect the earth lead if you are really worried. Most theives wouldn't have the time or the inclination to figure out why your car won't start, let alone why the steering wheel would not move once the key is inserted into the ignition.

Hang keys on a hook in the hallway. I do.

Not THE keys, of course! Just keys. I've got a bunch (complete with a nice Subaru dealer keyfob) that fit nothing at all, the locks they fit have long since gone. But if the keys go missing I can check the CCTV, plus I can let the police know that there are people fishing for keys in the area.

Hang keys on a hook in the hallway. I do.

Not THE keys, of course! Just keys. I've got a bunch (complete with a nice Subaru dealer keyfob) that fit nothing at all, the locks they fit have long since gone. But if the keys go missing I can check the CCTV, plus I can let the police know that there are people fishing for keys in the area.

I like your thinking. As it happens, I still have a spare from my old LS just to cause more confusion. Time to get CCTV installed - should be a deterrant.

If they are so intent on taking the car that they break into the house, it might be sensible to leave the keys near the door. Otherwise, you may find an armed criminal in your bedroom at 3am threatening you for the keys. The car is replaceable, your life isn't.

Oh, another thing. The GS and LS models are generally perceived as boring old man's cars with no character and being a bland drive. I guess the typical magazine review in the UK works in our favour sometimes!

If they are so intent on taking the car that they break into the house, it might be sensible to leave the keys near the door. Otherwise, you may find an armed criminal in your bedroom at 3am threatening you for the keys. The car is replaceable, your life isn't.

Oh, another thing. The GS and LS models are generally perceived as boring old man's cars with no character and being a bland drive. I guess the typical magazine review in the UK works in our favour sometimes!

Exactly - that's why the GS and LS cars are such good buys - when you have Clarkson saying they are about as interesting as a freshly painted wall, theives attention is focused on the German brigade which benefits all of us as they are the cars that are stolen to order and not ours. The joyrider isn't interested either because to them they are like a Honda - i.e. boring old persons car.

Completley agree about the keys. if the theives are already in my house id rather them find the keys quick and go with my cars rather than snoop around the place looking for them, kids rooms, mrs in bed etc etc i love my cars but not that much! :whistling::tomato:

• 4 months later...

I'm not so sure they are hard to steal. My Gs was stolen in US from first owner after it was only under 10000 miles. They completely messed up both front door locks, panel under steering wheel.

Its a black luxury looking car with all tinted windows and I'm getting a hell of attention driving it even from people drivings Mercs S, and other even more expensive cars, so I'm too slightly considered too. Thus always keep it in garage with my Toyota RAV4 rammed to door- if they need my GS, they also will have to steal RAV4, thus its a double mess :lol:

I would imagine with the right equipment any car is liftable - the manufacturers can open and start the cars without the keys, and the devices that allow them to do that must eventually make their way onto the black market.

• 2 weeks later...
Some shady looking characters were spotted by my neighbour in my driveway having a look at my gs430. Does anybody know how effective the security system in these cars is? Can they be easily knicked without the key? Is it a case of "where theres a will, there's a way" - if they want it badly enough, they will find a way of bypassing system? I'm not sure if I am more concerned about losing the car or them breaking into my house to get the key!

I have a black sport GS 300 with tinted windows, 20 speakers, 20" rims and well pimped. From purchase I installed a Clifford Perimter Voice Alarm. If anyone goes close to the car it chirps and I can adjust the range at which it can be triggered and have had to do so on occasions.

It can also go on voice where it tells the person to back away when they get too close. No one can get close to it to look inside as the alarm will go off. It is the best purchase I made after the car.

I also know when traffic wardens get close and it alert drivers parking too close to it in car parks.

My friend had his less than 12 months old GS stolen. They broke into his house, took the keys downstairs and drove off the car. He and his family were sleeping upstairs. The insurance replaced the car with a new one and several months later they found his car in Dubai with 70 Mercedes and 33 lexus. They got details of his car and address from DVLA and were well organised.

If someone is going to break into your house when you are there, chances are they are armed and usually have an accomplice.

• 5 months later...

I have a black sport GS 300 with tinted windows, 20 speakers, 20" rims and well pimped. From purchase I installed a Clifford Perimter Voice Alarm. If anyone goes close to the car it chirps and I can adjust the range at which it can be triggered and have had to do so on occasions.

It can also go on voice where it tells the person to back away when they get too close. No one can get close to it to look inside as the alarm will go off. It is the best purchase I made after the car.

I also know when traffic wardens get close and it alert drivers parking too close to it in car parks.

My friend had his less than 12 months old GS stolen. They broke into his house, took the keys downstairs and drove off the car. He and his family were sleeping upstairs. The insurance replaced the car with a new one and several months later they found his car in Dubai with 70 Mercedes and 33 lexus. They got details of his car and address from DVLA and were well organised.

If someone is going to break into your house when you are there, chances are they are armed and usually have an accomplice.

whoa this sounds nasty, I can see that leaving the keys near to the door is a lot better than being given a wake up by an angry car thief.

I remember the ghost dog scene. In fact I think that was subliminally at work when I bought my GS.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links