Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Firstly - hello and welcome. There are so many threads on this - do we really need a new one :blush: ?

It gets worse from my experience rather than better as the miles pile on. Mine is in for it's 20k serrvice next week Lets see if anything improves, and for how long.

For what it's worth, I can get a max of 500 miles per tank full at a push, current Tank Average is 37.5, 90% motorway driving and always using acceleration/gears sensibly.

I just hope that it is the 5th Injector - if it is then I will be asking LGB for an unconditional extension to the warranty beyond 3 years for that part...mine will be on it's 3rd if it is the cause and they replace it.

The diagnostic thing could be a dodgy diagnostic machine...

Jamboo,

Thanks for the info. I'm getting about 470 with the same sort of driving (80% M'way). Bit worried as they say 5th injector has already been changed in Jan. If they can't sort it I'll see what deal can be done on an exchange for a 250 as the fuel bill will be about the same!!! Wont hold my breath tho....

how many litres gets you 470mls

Normally fill up when I'm dryish, but I always do a manual calculation - and that's what I'd get after 63 litres if I calculate it back

I have been to birmingham today,filled up at asda tank average after return 52 mpg.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My car hit 63k today during a 360mile round trip Leic to Norwich. 32.3mpg

Nothing new then!

5 months 26 days to go!!

done that trip many times.mine has 47 for that trip.my previous golf gti 150 diesel did 50.something wrong with yours.are they going to do the same to yours as jamboos.

Nothing new then!

5 months 26 days to go!!

done that trip many times.mine has 47 for that trip.my previous golf gti 150 diesel did 50.something wrong with yours.are they going to do the same to yours as jamboos.

To be quite honest, I've given up! I have wasted so much time with my car being off the road for over 10 days with problems concerning mpg and limp home/5th Jet issues. IMHO it's a crap car and I wish I had never walked in the show room. But unhappily for me, I'm jammed in to a pcp and no matter how I try (bar paying £600+) I'm stuck with the car until September. To make matters worse the car will be worth less than its guaranteed future value so bye bye deposit.

To me Lexus should aim a little lower, rather than perfection just go for average!

Nothing new then!

5 months 26 days to go!!

To be quite honest, I've given up! I have wasted so much time with my car being off the road for over 10 days with problems concerning mpg and limp home/5th Jet issues. IMHO it's a crap car and I wish I had never walked in the show room. But unhappily for me, I'm jammed in to a pcp and no matter how I try (bar paying £600+) I'm stuck with the car until September. To make matters worse the car will be worth less than its guaranteed future value so bye bye deposit.

To me Lexus should aim a little lower, rather than perfection just go for average!

i think you have had some bad luck,mine is nearing 40k and has been 100 per cent reliable.maybe back with the germans for you then.

Nothing new then!

5 months 26 days to go!!

i think you have had some bad luck,mine is nearing 40k and has been 100 per cent reliable.maybe back with the germans for you then.

Roll on!!

Had mine approx 2 weeks, and have covered 1800 miles in that time, 85% being mway...

Computer is telling me that my MPG since new is now 33.5, with my best tank full to date being 36.9!

Am getting around 440/450 miles per tank.

I am finding that I have to keep the car at 80-85 and try not to exceed 2,000RPM.

I'm not really having much fun in the car cos of this. :sad:

My previous car was a Saab 9-3 1.9TDI and I could nail it everywhere and still get 45MPG.

If I had covered the same miles as above in the 9-3, and driven in the same careful manner I know I'd be at around 48/49MPG!

The Lexus is fantastic, but this fuel-watching lark is a real bore! :yawn:

i do 6th gear at 70 1700 rpm always above 50mpg no labouring at all

NT - Keeping the rpm below 2000 will make it labour. I'm running in 5th at 80, about 2500rpm and always change up at that speed too. But then again I'm only getting 35-36mpg anyway!

Agree with the fuel watching - much more fun watching the temp gauge! :lol:

Harrydavy

with the point about your pcp i was inder the impression that future values were always set lower than the actual future value so that you had a deposit towards a new one? this encourages you to have another car from them and so that you have something towards a deposit and dont walk away.

Had mine approx 2 weeks, and have covered 1800 miles in that time, 85% being mway...

Computer is telling me that my MPG since new is now 33.5, with my best tank full to date being 36.9!

I am finding that I have to keep the car at 80-85 and try not to exceed 2,000RPM.

My previous car was a Saab 9-3 1.9TDI and I could nail it everywhere and still get 45MPG.

If I had covered the same miles as above in the 9-3, and driven in the same careful manner I know I'd be at around 48/49MPG!

NT - Keeping the rpm below 2000 will make it labour. I'm running in 5th at 80, about 2500rpm and always change up at that speed too. But then again I'm only getting 35-36mpg anyway!

2,500RPM in 5th = approx 74/75MPH (I know the speedo says 80, but it's actually more like 74/75, according to my RoadAngel, and my TT720).

I don't think I wanna spend my entire life in the inside lane! :whistling:

2,000RPM in 6th = approx 85MPH (speedo shows around 90)...a bit more like it, but it's still not the 85-90 that I used to be able to do in my 9-3, and return high 40's! :crying:

2,500RPM in 5th = approx 74/75MPH (I know the speedo says 80, but it's actually more like 74/75, according to my RoadAngel, and my TT720).

I don't think I wanna spend my entire life in the inside lane! :whistling:

2,000RPM in 6th = approx 85MPH (speedo shows around 90)...a bit more like it, but it's still not the 85-90 that I used to be able to do in my 9-3, and return high 40's! :crying:

Agreed about the actual speed, TT720 shows 76 at indicated 80 however I feel like I'm flying as my S60 was doing really doing 72! :lol:

Just found & joined this forum today. I have had my is220d for just over a year & 30k miles. I have had the fuel consumption checked several times as the best I can manage is 38mpg & that is cruising on the motorway around 80mph. This is the only thing that would stop me buying another & is why when car is up for renewal it will be replaced by a BMW. Shame really as otherwise it's a great car.

H

Just found & joined this forum today. I have had my is220d for just over a year & 30k miles. I have had the fuel consumption checked several times as the best I can manage is 38mpg & that is cruising on the motorway around 80mph. This is the only thing that would stop me buying another & is why when car is up for renewal it will be replaced by a BMW. Shame really as otherwise it's a great car.

H

which gear are you in

New mazda 6 tested, 2.0 MZR-CD - 103kW - almost 40 hp less than IS220d.

higway at 130kph (81mph) 7l/100km (40mpg) - bit more than mine - I have 6,7 (42mpg)

urban driving 33mpg

Guys, I would be happy if my car consumpted 2 litres less (or +10mpg) but we have to stay real. Forget about 40mpg in city, that is history. 177 horses must be feed.

Hi All, Anyone aware if Lexus have admitted to the problem on the D4D engine - I've just bought a 220d SEL and experiencing the same problems with mpg (35mpg tops) as most of the other people on here. It had its 5th injector replaced in January apparently, so not sure what I should do next, any ideas? I've seen people quote egr valve and fuel pumps - any one know the definitive problem with it?

Hi All, Just an update, had the egr valve and the cat replaced - result...... a slight drop to 34mpg! Have decided to just keep taking the car back each 1000 miles if it doesn't improve. I have 14 months left on waranty, they will be tired of seeing me by the end of it!. They gave me a 220d se as a courtesy car from which I got 43mpg on the same route/speed. Add to that the electric seats from my SEL and I should still be able to get 40mpg. Other than that it's the girlfriends merc A180cdi - 46.5mpg on the run to work today and not hanging around either!

Other than that it's the girlfriends merc A180cdi - 46.5mpg on the run to work today and not hanging around either!

I don't have words... how can you compare these? there is 70hp difference!

And the A is much smaller car, much much noisier!

My mum has this same, so I know what I am talking about.

Other than that it's the girlfriends merc A180cdi - 46.5mpg on the run to work today and not hanging around either!

I don't have words... how can you compare these? there is 70hp difference!

And the A is much smaller car, much much noisier!

My mum has this same, so I know what I am talking about.

I was joking.... However, just to make a point consider this.

A180CDI Weight 1345Kg, 109Bhp = 12.3Kg per horse - Claimed 54mpg (Combined) - Actual 49mpg.

IS220d Weight 1585Kg, 175Bhp = 9.1Kg per horse - Claimed 44mpg :lol: (Combined) - Actual 34mpg.

Both EURO IV.

So a car that pulls an extra 3Kg per horse, has a worse drag coefficent, gives 15mpg more!!!

Of course its a different class of car and you can't really compare them. but in terms of engineering it proves how much of a dissapointment it is that the IS can't get close to its official figures. BTW try parking your IS next to your mums A class, it isn't a small car!

the power/weight ratio can be applied for measuring/comparing the performance but not the consumption.

PS: I didn't know you were joking

Disagree, it's all in the mix. Weight and power are major factors involved in how a car performs in relation to fuel ecconomy. They topic has been done to death anyways. Suffice to say it will be the first and last Lexus (Diesel) I own. Back to the Germans I'm afraid. I've had the car for just over a month and checked out changing it for an A4tdi. It's going to be a 2-3k pill to swallow if I want to change now. Even thought its only been a month, on some days I think it might just be worth it!!

the power/weight ratio can be applied for measuring/comparing the performance but not the consumption.

Disagree, it's all in the mix. Weight and power are major factors involved in how a car performs in relation to fuel ecconomy. They topic has been done to death anyways. Suffice to say it will be the first and last Lexus (Diesel) I own. Back to the Germans I'm afraid. I've had the car for just over a month and checked out changing it for an A4tdi. It's going to be a 2-3k pill to swallow if I want to change now. Even thought its only been a month, on some days I think it might just be worth it!!

are you going to buy a new audi.

Can get a Sep 07 s-line for just under 20k. So yeah am weighing up my options

Can get a Sep 07 s-line for just under 20k. So yeah am weighing up my options

i think i would wait a while and see what jamboo says about his fix.maybe with lexus doing recalls on the continent afix for your car is close.

Rang my supplying dealer last week (Lexus Bolton) to make them aware of the atrociously low mpg, to see if they could tender some advise...

"Ah yes, we're getting reports that they perform much better, in to the 40's, at and after approx 10k miles..."

Ok, so I'm supposed to subsidise the fuel consumption until then...I don't recall reading that anywhere in the sales brochure, that the 220d returns (or stands a chance of getting anywhere near returning) the manufacturer's claimed mpg after a running in period of ten thousand miles...!

10k for many (particularly) private motorists can be 12 months ownership.

I'm gonna call Lexus GB on Tuesday...

Rang my supplying dealer last week (Lexus Bolton) to make them aware of the atrociously low mpg, to see if they could tender some advise...

"Ah yes, we're getting reports that they perform much better, in to the 40's, at and after approx 10k miles..."

Ok, so I'm supposed to subsidise the fuel consumption until then...I don't recall reading that anywhere in the sales brochure, that the 220d returns (or stands a chance of getting anywhere near returning) the manufacturer's claimed mpg after a running in period of ten thousand miles...!

10k for many (particularly) private motorists can be 12 months ownership.

I'm gonna call Lexus GB on Tuesday...

Sorry to burst bubbles but it doesn't get any better

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links