Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi there. Yes, I had one of the chrome strips start to peel. Looks like they're varnished. I took it to a local dealer who ordered me a new one. Sadly when they replaced it, they replaced the wrong one. (Or at least, they say they replaced one) So I've STILL got the peeled one, and one or two others are going the same way, which they've agreed to do when I go in next

They didn't quibble though, agreed straight away to do it as a warranty item.

Have you noticed the paint on the wheels is VERY soft too? Rub too hard cleaning it and you'll find you'll mark it, or at least I have.

is it covered under the warrenty?

I have had similar problems, on each of my three Lexus cars over the years, usually bubbling under the paint, and every time they have replaced all five wheels under warranty, no quibbles, great service. I just don't understand why they have let the problem continue. It is about the only thing that has been even a slight problem, and the fact they deal with it so well, one forgets it even happened until reminded ;)

Regards,

Tony

I had the same problem with the chrome spoke on my GS450h. It took three visits (last one two weeks ago) to the dealer as each time a couple of new spokes were found to be wrong.

However the spokes are seperatly fitted, and easily replaced as they are only held on by a couple of nuts, and can be changed without removing the wheel.

Whilst on the subject, the bodywork paintwork is also soft, the car picking up surface scratches fairly easily. On the upside because of the soft finish at least they polish out easily.

However my car is in Velvet black, and in common with any black car under strong light- such as artificial garage lights, it shows up any light surface scratch, which although present on every car shows up particularly on a dark colour. So as I am particularly discerning (my dealer I think would say fussy :rolleyes: ), I seem to spend more time looking for imperfections than enjoying the car!!!!!!

Anyway I use a high quality range of car care products from 'Zymol' which are particularly gentle for car paintwork, and provide an excelant finish. The wax polish is re-applied twice a year by an appointed Zymol agent, although if you have the time you can apply it yourself.

I have attached a link to the gallery of the agent I use, and if you scroll down you will see my car in amongst some pictures of some red Ferrari's. This particular photo was taken in Feb of last year after the first re-application. He visited again a few weeks ago, and I would certainly recomend him as it certainly helps to keep what is a difficult to maintain colour in tip top condition.

http://www.johnswax.co.uk/acatalog/Gallery.html

Regards

Keith

Sorry to go :offtopic: , but that is a lovely finish on your car, does it cost a lot to keep it looking like that?

I use zymol to polish my car and it is excellent at getting out the swirls that seem to be so easy to pick up - I really need to get a really hard wearing wax though to make sure I don't need do it too often!

Originally, this started in the UK with the original LS400 when Lexus launched back in 1989. Since, they have much less salt on the roads in Japan than the UK, they didn't anticipate the wheel corrosion aspect here when looking at the finish of Lexus alloy wheels.

You'd think they would have made some adjustments after all these years in the UK.

Sorry to go :offtopic: , but that is a lovely finish on your car, does it cost a lot to keep it looking like that?

I use zymol to polish my car and it is excellent at getting out the swirls that seem to be so easy to pick up - I really need to get a really hard wearing wax though to make sure I don't need do it too often!

The Zymol supplier I use charged £275.00 to treat the car completly, and less for periodic top ups.

Additionaly the complete kit which provides all the products needed to maintain the car from memory was a similar amount. The main process involves removing old polish on car with product called HD Cleanse, then wax application which strange as it sounds you apply directly with the palm of your hand. Following that treatment you then use the Zymol shampoo (called Clear) to wash the car, and a product called Field Glaze to clean water marks etc from bodywork.

The whole range uses natural products and is based around a 'bean' sourced from S.America called cannuba-depending on the product the content of this bean varies. This is the expensive bit as its this bean that forms the basis of the wax, and the cost can range for a pot from £60.00 approx called Titanium (which is what I use), to the almost ridiculus at T-H-O-U-S-A-N-D'S.

The thing to remember is this product is not a paint sealant like Supagard etc (which IMO are of dubious value anyway) but a very high quality wash polish, which unlike the usual products provides a completly haze free shine the results of which you could probably see from the link.

Finally, whilst this will help reduce swirl marks because of the way its applied and removed, it can not elimiate the invetable light surface marks. In the case of my car these light surface marks would be invisible when the car is out, but parked in my garage with the light on (a strong fluorecent type) which shines over the bonnet, when viewed from certain angles, some fine scratches or swirl marks can be noticed. As I said in my previous post I am very discerning and most people wonder what I am talking about, but I suppose it depends on your level of paranoia :crybaby:. To put it in some sort of prospective these sort of marks I'm talking about would be apparent on any dark coloured car-unless off course you can keep your car un-used in a glass case that is ;)- because all dark polished polished surfaces will display some sort of surface marks- be it your car or any other shiny dark surface, perhaps the casing of a mobile phone for example.

These surface marks can only be completly erradicated by machine polishing which removes a micron of laquer, to leave a mark free surface, but even being careful, as I mentioned above because of the very nature of car paintwork it would only be a matter of time before they return.

Hope all this rambling makes some sense, and if you need any more information about Zymol etc please let me know.

Regards

Keith

while cleaning my GS450H i noticed that the metallic paint was flaking off the spoke on the wheel. Has anyone else had this problem is it covered under the warrenty?

Hi can anyone let me know how long the warranty last for on wheels. Mine are starting to pit. Does mileage come in to it Thanks

while cleaning my GS450H i noticed that the metallic paint was flaking off the spoke on the wheel. Has anyone else had this problem is it covered under the warrenty?

Hi can anyone let me know how long the warranty last for on wheels. Mine are starting to pit. Does mileage come in to it Thanks

My 97 GS had three sets of wheels under warrenty, and I've had them refurbed too. A friends just had the wheels on his new L200 pick up replaced due to corrsion. I think it's a problem with most Jap cars, although the 01 Mercedes I was working on yesterday had most of the laquer missing

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links