Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My car got new discs, pads and brake fluid changed over Xmas. A month later, I get a weird screeching/swishing noise from behind the driver's side dash going on and off.

Then, I'm getting the noise constantly along with the following warning lights:

ABS light on

VSC light on

VSC off light on

Red Brake light on

Oh, and then when the warning lights are on, there is also a very high pitched continuous beep from the dash.

The warning lights don't stay on all day when driving, and the screeching/swishing noise disappears if you sit there and pump the brakes.

The brakes do work as normal, and pressure is fine. However, I believe that when the warning lights are on in that combination, I have no ABS or VSC.

I got the codes read today, and it's showing up as

P0155 - heater circuit malfunction

P1129 electric throttle control system

I'm taking it to Westfield Motors next week for them to take a look at it, but after doing a bit of research on the net, it could well be the electronic master cylinder which costs £1,800 from Lexus. It turns out this seems to be a common problem with GS300s from 1998-2000 after about 100k miles. I have 110k.

Any other ideas on what it might be? I'm hoping it's not the master cylinder. :crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

Doesn't sound to healthy

Since you've already captured the fault codes, you think it could be worth disconnecting the battery for 15 mins or so to re-set all the ECUs. It could be that they just need a 're-boot'. ?

(Make sure you've got your radio code if you do it)

Good idea. I will try doing that.

My first thoughts were the ABS booster or whatever the official name is :(

Yeah, my thoughts too. The unit in question is tucked tight up near the servo - try popping the bonnet and then firing up the motor. Normally you will get a sort of whirring noise from it which stops abruptly after a few seconds. However, I believe that when they go wrong you get all sorts of screeching noises and the dash lights up like a Christmas tree - sounds horribly similar to what you've got! :crying:

but after doing a bit of research on the net, it could well be the electronic master cylinder which costs £1,800 from Lexus. It turns out this seems to be a common problem with GS300s from 1998-2000 after about 100k miles. I have 110k.

Dude I thought the same before even finishing reading your post.

As you said it can be a common problem as ive read about it before. I think I have seen them on eBay.

Good luck dude

Sounds like the Master Cylinder to me, as I had the same issues.

If it helps the the high pitched warning can be unplugged its a small unit under the steering wheel on the right hand side. Take the panel off and start her up you will hear it!

Feel for you as its not a cheap item.

I too have this problem it seems quite common......VSC ABS VSCOFF HANDBRAKE and continuous tone...... The noise is doing my head in.... thanks for the tip unplugging the 3 pin connector.

Does this solve the tone completely?

Has anyone bit the bullet and replaced the master cylinder, if so how much did it cost and where did you source it....breakers?

I have read that GS300's at 100k if left to stand for about 3 weeks develop the problem so my concern is if you buy one from breakers you may have the same problems.

I don't fancy doshing out £1200 there has got to be a cheaper way :angry:

P0155 is the heater inside one of the oxygen sensors (bank 2, sensor 1, it'll be one of the ones on the exhaust manifold rather than after the cats, looks like a spark plug). Grab a used one off eBay and change the plug if necessary (you should find that you can pop the pins out, no need to cut & splice). You'll probably find the universal ones don't work, the fault kept coming back on my sister's Avensis because the heater resistance of the universal one was too low (4Ω, the Toyota ones are around 12Ω).

You don't want Lexus fixing that one, Toyota quoted £240 to replace ONE, and both had gone! I did the pair for under fifty quid, including the special socket to undo it.

P0155 is the heater inside one of the oxygen sensors (bank 2, sensor 1, it'll be one of the ones on the exhaust manifold rather than after the cats, looks like a spark plug). Grab a used one off eBay and change the plug if necessary (you should find that you can pop the pins out, no need to cut & splice). You'll probably find the universal ones don't work, the fault kept coming back on my sister's Avensis because the heater resistance of the universal one was too low (4Ω, the Toyota ones are around 12Ω).

You don't want Lexus fixing that one, Toyota quoted £240 to replace ONE, and both had gone! I did the pair for under fifty quid, including the special socket to undo it.

Useful to know mate. I got that one changed last year using universal sensors and the same fault code has reappeared. What a waste of money the universals are then.

If you are talking about replacing the Master Cylinder Unit, mine was done at a Lexus Dealership and cost me over £2k

If I have to end up taking that route, I'm gonna source it from USA and get it done by a non Lexus garage.

reading this has made me feel better about my problem! feel for you maneesh!

I might "clock" mine back when it gets near 100k... hopefully the car wont have the problem then LOL :ph34r: :iraqi-info-minister:

Westfield just confirmed that it is my master cylinder and pump that needs replacing. Lexus are charging 1450+VAT for a new one. I ain't paying that much!

Anyone got one lying around in their house?

Alternatively, I could fly over to New York and pick up a used one from there for 300 quid.

Anyone know if the US master cylinder will plug straight into the UK car?

Have you tried Sewell Lexus in Texas? They might be able to source a new one for a lot less than Lexus here in the UK want... I'm pretty sure a number of people on here have bought stuff from them, anyway.

Mine had a recon unit fitted in 2006 - £350 +vat + fitting so worth asking around in UK.

PM me before you consider flying out to the US - I may be able to help.....

An update. Car breakers in the Uk realise the value of these items, and I got a call from a guy in Stockton selling a used part for 900+VAT.

I still have no idea if a USA part will fit my car. The part numbers are slightly different. 47050-30152 here, and 47050-30160 over there.

I've just found a place that sells remanufactured ones with a lifetime warranty (you send your old unit in). They charge 825+VAT. Maybe a good site for future use for other members on here..

BBA Reman

Looks like mine went at the "right" time then....I suppose its the price we pay for a relatively rare car - not many in breakers yards and when the new price is so high for a part - they've latched onto it.

You may want to check a little more into the US part number and whether it will fit - I did hear that Lexus changed the design in ~2001 for a larger version that supposedly doesnt exhibit the same issues - maybe thats the new part number rather than the version you have - I'm only guessing - and dont know even then if its suitable for the car as other things may have changed - but for the price differential I'd certainly do a bit more investigative work.

As I said, PM me if you need help in getting it shipped....I can prob save you something.

You may want to check a little more into the US part number and whether it will fit - I did hear that Lexus changed the design in ~2001 for a larger version that supposedly doesnt exhibit the same issues - maybe thats the new part number rather than the version you have - I'm only guessing - and dont know even then if its suitable for the car as other things may have changed - but for the price differential I'd certainly do a bit more investigative work.

The part numbers I quoted are for the US part 1999 model and UK part 1999 model. The UK part for 2001+ is 47050-30220.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links