Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Problems Starting My Is220d

Can anyone help?!

I am having problems starting my new Lexus IS220d SE. If I enter my car quickly it seems to start up fine.........put foot on the clutch................green light comes on............push button and away.

If I stop the car and then try and start it again it seems not to work. It just goes from off to amber and will not start again even when my foot is on the clutch.

The security light is also flashing next to the stereo system.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sorry if I'm not getting this right, but are you saying the car doesn't start right after you've turned it off? Because if you are, then I think it is how it's supposed to be. This is to prevent unintentional restarts. You have to at least engage the clutch and then depress it again for the car to start. There might even be a certain time interval required for it to start again. I noticed this once when I turned the ignition off and only then remembered that I was supposed to take the CD out of the player. I pushed the start button again to get the player on, but didn't realise that I still had the clutch depressed until it was too late (or so I thought). The engine didn't start, which was a good thing because at the very moment I realised the clutch was down, I took my foot off the pedal. Now, if the engine would have started, the car would have lunged to who knows where. So it is there to prevent morons like me from causing accidents :wacko:

Sorry if I'm not getting this right, but are you saying the car doesn't start right after you've turned it off? Because if you are, then I think it is how it's supposed to be. This is to prevent unintentional restarts. You have to at least engage the clutch and then depress it again for the car to start. There might even be a certain time interval required for it to start again. I noticed this once when I turned the ignition off and only then remembered that I was supposed to take the CD out of the player. I pushed the start button again to get the player on, but didn't realise that I still had the clutch depressed until it was too late (or so I thought). The engine didn't start, which was a good thing because at the very moment I realised the clutch was down, I took my foot off the pedal. Now, if the engine would have started, the car would have lunged to who knows where. So it is there to prevent morons like me from causing accidents :wacko:

It has happened twice now, in two different places. It is not only without the clutch down either.

Also, I got in my car and sat on the phone for 5 minutes, then tried to start it and had an absolute nightmare!! In the end I got out, locked it and re-entered before it worked!

It may just be an issue with that particular key? I am going to try the other one and see if the same happens. If so Ill take it into Lexus and see if they know.

It has happened twice now, in two different places. It is not only without the clutch down either.

Also, I got in my car and sat on the phone for 5 minutes, then tried to start it and had an absolute nightmare!! In the end I got out, locked it and re-entered before it worked!

It may just be an issue with that particular key? I am going to try the other one and see if the same happens. If so Ill take it into Lexus and see if they know.

The button sequence (Amount of presses) is the same as a normal keyed ignition. i.e I (Radio), II (Dash light etc) , III with clutch depressed (Engine start). I think only on initial entry does it start with the clutch depressed first time. At least mine does!!! :lol:

• 4 months later...

IF YOU LOOK TO THE LEFT OF THE CLUTCH PEDAL THERE IS A METAL ROD WITH A GREEN PIN ON IT, THIS IS WELDED TO THE CLUTCH PEDAL IF YOU PUSH THIS DOWN IT CONTACTS A WHITE SWITCH WHICH IN TURN SWITCHES THE LIGHT FROM AMBER TO GREEN. i HAD SIMILAR PROBLEMS WHEN i FIRST GOT MINE AND GOT CONFUSED ON START UP, BUT KNOWING HOW IT WORKS CERTAINLY GIVES YOU AN IDEA OF HOW MUCH PRESSURE TO PUT ON THE CLUTCH.

I thought I was having similar problems, it turned out that I wasn't pushing the clutch pedal all the way down hence the light was staying at amber. :whistling:

I to had this problem when I got mine. But is was all me. Just press the clutch down hard and keep it there until started.

• 10 years later...

My Lexus Is220d was involved in an accident and i lost the keys. After it had been repaired i had someone code some new keys but the problem now is, when you press the engine on button all the accessories turns on ,even the cluster but the engine start button doesnt turn green. The security light keeps on flashing and the car cannot start

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links