Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Busy Weekend Ahead - Car Detail

Well, i've had my head buried in detailing forum archives etc etc and have finally come up with and ordered a combination of products that i think will get the best out of the pearl white paint of my IS.

The plan is to kick off early tomorrow morning with the following (please don't rain!!!):

Pre-Rinse

Heavy shampoo using Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo and Paint Conditioner and the 2-bucket method

Rinse

Very Llight dry with sonus Der Wunder waffle Weave Towel

Using the remaining moisture on the car and Meguiars Quick detailing Lube, clay bar will be applied (Meguiars Smooth clay Kit)

Rinse

Re-wash the car with diluted shampoo/water mix

Polish - Meguiars Scratch X applied by hand with 'Ultimate German Applicator Pad' (white side) to remove any swirls.

Buff to remove any excees (Eurow Buffing Towel)

Carlack 68 Nano Systematic Care (All in one type product) - applied by hand using Blue Perl microfibre Applicator Pads (previously dampened with water)

Buffed with soft pile microfibre towel

Carlack 68 Long Life Sealant - applied by hand using Blue Perl microfibre Applicator Pad (again, previously dampened with water)

Glass Clayed and further cleaned with Meguiars NXT Glass Cleaner

Wheel Cleaned with Auto Glym Wheel Cleaner

Tyres Dressed - Armour-All Extreme Shine tyre dressing

24 Hours later - Carlack 68 long life sealant Re-applied as above

Another 24 Hours later - Carlack 68 long life sealant Re-applied as above

I'm not waxing the car, as i don't want to lose the pearlescent ping/nuances that waxes often cover up. The Carlack sealant kit is one of the best on the market and more than enough to protect the paint.

There's probably more, but that's the main detailing routine I have planned.

Its gonna be a long old day, but worth it in the end.

Any advice welcome.

Will obviously post pictures soon.

Cheers

Rob

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow... that must have been alot of research.

Sounds like the results are going to be outstanding :)

Good luck with it, and ill be here eagerly awaiting some photos.... im dying to do the same time to mine [not washed it months]

Blimey, that's gonna be a long day, I'd be knackered after all that! All I want to do to mine is clean, polish and wax and can't even be bothered to do that (although the weather isn't helping)

Look forward to the pics though, should look amazing after all that :winky:

your gonna be shattered by the time your done, hope the weathers hols out for ya, supposed to be chucking it down round here all day :crybaby: ....oh by the way you forgotabout the Interior :P :tomato: ........ just kidding mate :)

Well, i've had my head buried in detailing forum archives etc etc and have finally come up with and ordered a combination of products that i think will get the best out of the pearl white paint of my IS.

The plan is to kick off early tomorrow morning with the following (please don't rain!!!):

Pre-Rinse

Heavy shampoo using Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo and Paint Conditioner and the 2-bucket method

Rinse

Using the remaining moisture on the car and Meguiars Quick Detailing Lube, Clay bar will be applied (Meguiars Smooth Clay Kit)

Rinse

Polish - Meguiars Scratch X applied by hand with 'Ultimate German Applicator Pad' (white side) to remove any swirls.

Carlack 68 Nano Systematic Care (All in one type product) - applied by hand using Blue Perl Microfibre Applicator Pads (previously dampened with water)

Carlack 68 Long Life Sealant - applied by hand using Blue Perl Microfibre Applicator Pad (again, previously dampened with water)

Tyres Dressed - Armour-All Extreme Shine Tyre dressing

24 Hours later - Carlack 68 Re-applied as above

Another 24 Hours later - Carlack 68 Re-applied as above

I'm not waxing the car, as i don't want to lose the pearlescent ping/nuances that waxes often cover up. The Carlack sealant kit is one of the best on the market and more than enough to protect the paint.

There's probably more, but that's the main detailing routine I have planned.

Its gonna be a long old day, but worth it in the end.

Any advice welcome.

Will obviously post pictures soon.

Cheers

Rob

you won't regret using the carlack,and don't forget about the half lls and half distilled water for the spritz,this will help when buffing off lls.good luckand hope it stays dry.

got a car porch(sp??) so can wash it and do all the rest under that if needs be?!!

when should i use the lls/water spritz?? just after its hazed and i need to take it off??

doing everything a panel at a time. that way nothing will over cure and i can keep good tabs on it.

still debating with myself whether its worth skipping the scratch X polish?? i'm just a bit 'afraid' of doing more damage than good....

got a car porch(sp??) so can wash it and do all the rest under that if needs be?!!

when should i use the lls/water spritz?? just after its hazed and i need to take it off??

doing everything a panel at a time. that way nothing will over cure and i can keep good tabs on it.

still debating with myself whether its worth skipping the scratch X polish?? i'm just a bit 'afraid' of doing more damage than good....

yes,when buffing off.try a test area with the sx then decide,swirl removal will be most time consuming part of your detail.

Sounds like you've got a busy day ahead matey will you be doing the engine bay aswell? :whistling:

but of course young man.....no point otherwise!!!

@dgman (sorry, don't know ur name mate), will the test area not be 'obvious' compared to where i haven't done??

the german applicator i have is used typically for hand polishing and user a denser foam so aids polishing. how heavy should you be pressing when applying the polisgh?? or in fact any of the other products?? and is there a set direction to apply it? i presume vertically up and down and buff off in a circular motion??

Pre-Rinse

Rinse

Using the remaining moisture on the car and Meguiars Quick Detailing Lube, Clay bar will be applied (Meguiars Smooth Clay Kit)

Rinse

Carlack 68 Nano Systematic Care (All in one type product) - applied by hand using Blue Perl Microfibre Applicator Pads (previously dampened with water)

Carlack 68 Long Life Sealant - applied by hand using Blue Perl Microfibre Applicator Pad (again, previously dampened with water)

If I may be so bold....

You're doing more than is needed, with no benefit. In other words, waste of time and effort for no reward.

I'm not convinced Scratch X is going to offer any benefit over and above the finest marks - by hand, you'll be there all night, never mind day.

If the NSC is an AIO, then between the Scratch X, and Life Sealant, you're repeating steps.

I'd also be suspect of any improvement a 3rd layer of LS, 48 hours after the first one.

may not add the 3rd coat of LLS, depends how it looks and how i feel.

yes, the systematic care is an AIO, but it has NO abrasives to remove swirls.

the idea behind the scratch X is to cut through some of the swirls and not simply fill them in like a lot of other products do (whats the point in that!!).

the SC and LLS compliment each other and were designed to be worked together.

i thought adding the polish step was beneficial (in terms of swirl removal). will see how it goes on a test panel tomorrow.

you wouldn't wash the car again after claying??? most people would reccomend to do so... a simple rinse and dry may be enough before the polish i guess...

cheers

rob

Pre-Rinse

Rinse

Rinse

If I may be so bold....

You're doing more than is needed, with no benefit. In other words, waste of time and effort for no reward.

I'm not convinced Scratch X is going to offer any benefit over and above the finest marks - by hand, you'll be there all night, never mind day.

If the NSC is an AIO, then between the Scratch X, and Life Sealant, you're repeating steps.

I'd also be suspect of any improvement a 3rd layer of LS, 48 hours after the first one.

extra layers of lls add more gloss and more protection .

Rob if you want mate i'll pop my lex over in the morning and let you practice on mine before you have a go at yours just to make sure your doing it right? :whistling: :D
No, he really needs a white one to practice on. I'll be round nice & early! :D

That sounds like a great deal of hard work, Rob, but I am sure it'll be worth it. I'm out with the bike club in Leicestershire (Coalville to Hinckley via a very convoluted route then back to Ansty) tomorrow, so I too hope it doesn't rain.

One other bit of advice (which you've probably gathered from your research already - but it's worth overstressing)

If the Carlack 68 Long Life Sealant is the same as the Klasse Sealant Glaze (I think it is): do NOT over-apply.

You really need the tiniest amount on your pad for each panel - on first application you won't believe how little you'll use so will be tempted to over-apply - DON'T it's much better to use too little than it is too much. Over-applying will make it a real nightmare to buff out.

Doing this all by hand is really going to take you AT LEAST all day (that's before the next day's reapplication of the sealant glaze) - you really should consider a random orbit polisher.

But if you're determined to do it by hand one final tip: cut your fingernails before you begin :)

One other bit of advice (which you've probably gathered from your research already - but it's worth overstressing)

If the Carlack 68 Long Life Sealant is the same as the Klasse Sealant Glaze (I think it is): do NOT over-apply.

You really need the tiniest amount on your pad for each panel - on first application you won't believe how little you'll use so will be tempted to over-apply - DON'T it's much better to use too little than it is too much. Over-applying will make it a real nightmare to buff out.

Doing this all by hand is really going to take you AT LEAST all day (that's before the next day's reapplication of the sealant glaze) - you really should consider a random orbit polisher.

But if you're determined to do it by hand one final tip: cut your fingernails before you begin :)

the klasse sealant is based on an old formulation of carlack but without the nano technology unless there has been a recent new formulation.

the klasse sealant is based on an old formulation of carlack but without the nano technology unless there has been a recent new formulation.

aha - thought they were the same. My single bottle of KSG has lasted me 4 years so far :)

Does the advise about being careful not to over-apply still apply though?

aha - thought they were the same. My single bottle of KSG has lasted me 4 years so far :)

Does the advise about being careful not to over-apply still apply though?

yes ,whisper thin. i also agree that application by pc is more satisfatory,i am sure rob will move up next time.

i'm pretty tired already, lol!!!

cars pre-rinsed, washed, dried, clayed, buffed....

now i'm wondering whether i should rinse it? or re-wash it? or just move onto the carlack?? any advise??

only going to scratch x some light scratches i've found....the clay bar has worked quite well with the swirls and with it being a white car, i''m not convinced scratch X'ing the whole thing by hand will be worth it....a random orbit will be the way forward for that i think....

Rob if you want mate i'll pop my lex over in the morning and let you practice on mine before you have a go at yours just to make sure your doing it right? :whistling: :D

ur more than welcome to round round mate......i've got loads of cloths you can use :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links