Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Injector Knackered

Short Version :

How much do injectors cost?

Full Version (if interested):

Started up my IS200 Sport on Friday morning ready for work and it sounded like crap and was shaking more than usual. Seemed obvious to me that it was only firing on 5 cylinders so having read on here about coil packs, I decided to check them when I got home.

I followed a friends suggestion that I should disconnect 1 coil pack at a time and listen for a change in engine tone but I found that each time I unplugged one, the engine died.

With no idea how else to check them, I decided to have a look at the spark plugs. I removed one coil pack only to find that the removal tool I had wouldn't fit into the whole where the spark plug sits.... sigh.

As something of a last resort I decided to disconnect each injector in turn and bingo, the fourth was clearly not working as the engine tone didn't change one bit when I tried that one. I then set about unbolting the rail that the injectors are connected to but found that it was impossible to remove the middle bolt without shifting the throttle body out of the way. That really was the end of the road for a noob like me.

SO, at least I know what the problem (almost certainly) is and I can get it booked in with the same lad who did my sticky brake calliper knowing that he won't rip me off but as I haven't had chance to speak to him yet, I was just wondering if anyone has an idea of how much the part itself is likely to cost?

Short Version :

How much do injectors cost?

Full Version (if interested):

Started up my IS200 Sport on Friday morning ready for work and it sounded like crap and was shaking more than usual. Seemed obvious to me that it was only firing on 5 cylinders so having read on here about coil packs, I decided to check them when I got home.

I followed a friends suggestion that I should disconnect 1 coil pack at a time and listen for a change in engine tone but I found that each time I unplugged one, the engine died.

With no idea how else to check them, I decided to have a look at the spark plugs. I removed one coil pack only to find that the removal tool I had wouldn't fit into the whole where the spark plug sits.... sigh.

As something of a last resort I decided to disconnect each injector in turn and bingo, the fourth was clearly not working as the engine tone didn't change one bit when I tried that one. I then set about unbolting the rail that the injectors are connected to but found that it was impossible to remove the middle bolt without shifting the throttle body out of the way. That really was the end of the road for a noob like me.

SO, at least I know what the problem (almost certainly) is and I can get it booked in with the same lad who did my sticky brake calliper knowing that he won't rip me off but as I haven't had chance to speak to him yet, I was just wondering if anyone has an idea of how much the part itself is likely to cost?

If the spark plug or coil pack was not working it would have tha same effect mate :winky: so it might not be your injector at all :D

Have you got eng/man/light on, on your dash ???

Woops, you will have the light on in your dash, as you disconnect your coil packs, you will have to re-set your ecu, disconnect the Battery for 30mins :D

Yeah, sorry, forgot to mention that the engine light was on but that came on before I started messing with the coil packs.

I see what you mean about a coil pack / spark plug having the same effect but how come the engine cut out when I disconnected the coil pack on that same cylinder? How does that work?

Any suggestions for how I CAN work out which is broken, without going to a garage then?

Get a mate to read the code.

If its a coil pack they have individual Fault codes

P1300 Igniter Circuit Fault (Bank #1)

P1305 Igniter Circuit Fault (Bank #2)

P1310 Igniter Circuit Fault (Bank #3)

P1315 Igniter Circuit Fault (Bank #4)

P1320 Igniter Circuit Fault (Bank #5)

P1325 Igniter Circuit Fault (Bank #6)

P0201 Injector Circuit Malfunction — Cylinder #1

P0202 Injector Circuit Malfunction — Cylinder #2

P0203 Injector Circuit Malfunction — Cylinder #3

P0204 Injector Circuit Malfunction — Cylinder #4

P0205 Injector Circuit Malfunction — Cylinder #5

P0206 Injector Circuit Malfunction — Cylinder #6

Stav

Yeah, sorry, forgot to mention that the engine light was on but that came on before I started messing with the coil packs.

I see what you mean about a coil pack / spark plug having the same effect but how come the engine cut out when I disconnected the coil pack on that same cylinder? How does that work?

Any suggestions for how I CAN work out which is broken, without going to a garage then?

See the codes what Stav as posted or do what you did before, but this time change the coil pack from another cylinder and see if you get the same, as you did before, then you can say, its not your injecter or its the coil pack, getting the right plug spanner is ceap to do to change the plugs :winky:

if you disconect the wire off the coil pack it will cut the engine weather faulty or not, take the 10 mill nut out of all packs and run engine pull eatch pack up 1 at a time and see if it makes a change , that is how u test the coil packs, if u unplug a injector and the coil pack isnt working then the cylinder wont fire anyway so ure not doing a acurate test, never rearly heard of very many injector probs mate so try the packs again with the pull up test, hope this helps

Thanks for the tips.

I'm not sure the mechanic I know has any diagnostic stuff. He's one of these old fashioned mechanics who listens to your car, sniffs the exhaust and probably tastes a few things before telling you what's wrong.

I might try swapping the coil packs over though, soon as a get a few minutes without my kids nagging me to take them to the park!

Right, tried swapping over the coil packs and it turns out that one of them IS the problem after all, not the injector. Once I'd swapped them I unplugged the same injector that I thought was broken and the engine tone dropped. I plugged it back in then unplugged the injector on the same cylinder as the knackered coil pack and nothing happened.

Thanks for the advice all, I now just need to get hold of a replacement and I'll be sorted.

Oh btw, how long do I have to disconnect the Battery to reset the ECU afterwards? I've heard everything from 3 minutes to 30 :unsure:

Right, tried swapping over the coil packs and it turns out that one of them IS the problem after all, not the injector. Once I'd swapped them I unplugged the same injector that I thought was broken and the engine tone dropped. I plugged it back in then unplugged the injector on the same cylinder as the knackered coil pack and nothing happened.

Thanks for the advice all, I now just need to get hold of a replacement and I'll be sorted.

Oh btw, how long do I have to disconnect the battery to reset the ECU afterwards? I've heard everything from 3 minutes to 30 :unsure:

I believe you can reset your ecu by taking out your ETC-S fuse and your ECU fuse out for couple of minutes they are both in the engine bay fuse cover box( will say on the inside of the cover which is which ) ...then put back in 2 mins later...if you disconnect the Battery you will have to re tune all your radio stations..

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links