Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi Everyone,

I've been interested by recent topics relating to tyre choice. I've 40,000 klm approx 25,000 miles on my first set. I'll be looking to change shortly and as in the past I'll replace all four.

The fronts are 225 R17 Dunlop Sportmaxx and the rears are the 245 R17. Say... I do another 2,000 miles I wondering is this average for the IS 250/220D series. Another part of my question relates to Lexus using Dunlop Tyres OEM...(here in Ireland anyway) are they a preference in the UK or the rest of Europe? I've found them to be satisfactory in wet/dry/icey conditions and the road noise has been almost none existant.

These tyres are reasonably expensive and I notice individuals hunting around for lower prices, fair enough! However when something works and works well the price is not necessarily the major buying influence for me. Interested to hear your opinions, especially if your Lexus was provided with the Dunlop Sportmaxx originally.

IMHO i think thats very good miles on your first set of tyres...as they say if it aint broke dont fix it....so if your happy with the tyres dont see why you should change then to be honest mate stick with the dunlops.. :)

Hi,

My IS250 came fitted with Dunlop Sport Maxx. Had to change the two front tyres after around 17,000 miles thanks to a puncture - got two Sport Maxx as replacements.

The rears now need changing (approaching 20,000 miles). I am tempted to change all four tyres and try a different brand, depending on cost.

The Sport Maxx seems to generate quite a bit of road noise. Had a 250 courtesy car with Toyo tyres and those seem a lot quieter... may get those instead of more Sport Maxx.

Had to change the two front tyres after around 17,000 miles thanks to a puncture - got two Sport Maxx as replacements.

.....am tempted to change all four tyres and try a different brand, depending on cost.

Throw me your old fronts then when you change if they are 225/40x18's :D

Hi Everyone,

I've been interested by recent topics relating to tyre choice. I've 40,000 klm approx 25,000 miles on my first set. I'll be looking to change shortly and as in the past I'll replace all four.

The fronts are 225 R17 Dunlop Sportmaxx and the rears are the 245 R17. Say... I do another 2,000 miles I wondering is this average for the IS 250/220D series. Another part of my question relates to Lexus using Dunlop Tyres OEM...(here in Ireland anyway) are they a preference in the UK or the rest of Europe? I've found them to be satisfactory in wet/dry/icey conditions and the road noise has been almost none existant.

These tyres are reasonably expensive and I notice individuals hunting around for lower prices, fair enough! However when something works and works well the price is not necessarily the major buying influence for me. Interested to hear your opinions, especially if your Lexus was provided with the Dunlop Sportmaxx originally.

Just changed my Fronts, but my rears are still around 3.5. I had Toyo's fitted to replace the Dunlops.

I've got the original Toyos on mine still, 22k so far and still have 5 to 6mm on all 4 which I reckon is pretty impressive??

• 2 months later...

Same old story for me sad.gif

Lexus IS250 SEL Auto, 10 months old, show with Toyo:

front right 3, 6, 3

front left 2, 6, 3

rear left 4, 5, 3

rear right 4, 5, 3

Reminds me of the IS200 sand worse than my previous IS250 considering it's done half the miles sad.gif

Do Toyo tyres wear more than the other standard fir? Sure my last ones were Bridgestone or Pirelli.

I have Toyo's on mine and I am experiencing wear on both outer and inner edges (but not the middle) of the fronts,rears are okay.I have checked pressure and they were at 36psi.

Should I try going to say 37-38psi on the front to try and counteract this wear?

Dunlop Sportmaxx 18".16000miles so far with tread depth c. 6mm.Interestingly, the 18" ride better than the 17" equivalent even though the foot-print is bigger!

Tel

Well I've checked with the dealer today, pressures were OK. Spoken to Lexus Customer Services not much help there. So I have spoken to Toyo Technical Department and the manager is going to do some checking and call me back. Depending what he says will decide whether I go for Toyo or something else.

Did WIM ever publish there findings on the new model IS set up?

Have just had to change the front two 17" Dunlop SportMaxx at 30,000km (18,000 miles) due to tracking and insufficient pressure - almost bald at the outer edges.

Had been running at 33psi all round. At the last service was advised to run at 40psi all round - thought this was v. high - so when replacing the tyres went with 35 front, 38 rear. Seems to do the job.

Rear tyres wearing evenly, should last to 40,000km (24,000mi).

Replaced the Dunlops with Bridgestone - €480 for the front two. Running v well on these so far - no increased noise.

Estimate for the rear pair, when the time comes, €650 (!).

P.

If both outside edges are wearing at a far greater rate than the centre then the tyre is under inflated to cause this wear pattern. The tyre brand will not make any real difference as any brand will show this wear pattern if under inflated. Don't forget that if you inflate your tyres after driving even 1 mile to the garage you will get a false reading which will be showing higher than the pressure really is when the tyre is cold.

• 2 years later...

The last two sets of rear tyres on my IS250 have been Dunlop SP Sport Maxx. Unfortunately the tyre wear has been very poor - the tyres have worn from new to 2mm in 8k to 10k miles.

I have had a four wheel alignment done with each of these last two tyre changes, although tyre-wear has been quite even across the width of the tyre.

Is this level of wear normal?

The last two sets of rear tyres on my IS250 have been Dunlop SP Sport Maxx. Unfortunately the tyre wear has been very poor - the tyres have worn from new to 2mm in 8k to 10k miles.

I have had a four wheel alignment done with each of these last two tyre changes, although tyre-wear has been quite even across the width of the tyre.

Prior to my current Potenzas, I had a set of Sportmaxx, which were on the car from new. I changed these at 36k miles ( they were not legal at that stage), so I would have expected that they required changing at probably 28k miles. Therefore on that basis, your tyre wear does seem excessive. If you are not a "sympathetic" driver, you can really shorten tyre life.

The first tyres on the car from new were Sportmaxx also, and they lasted about 30k miles! Now they're lasting 8k! What could be wrong? If anything, I have an even more feather-footed approach to driving now than then!

I took an IS Convertible out yesterday for a test drive

It was running on bridgestones

The tyre noise was loud loud loud

Anyone else noticed this with Bridgestones?

Yes, which is why I have the original set stored in my garage because I changed to Toyo T1-R's for reduced noise and better roadholding. The Toyo's still have plenty of tread left after 20K, proof that getting the geometry set up correctly and adjusting the tyre pressure as necessary (by monitoring the wear pattern) is preferable than blindly followng the manufacturers recommended pressures (cos that's all they are, a starting point).

I have the Dunlop SP Spotmaxx tyres (17") from new when I bought the car. I have done 34,000 miles but I am still at 3mm on the rear tyres !!! The front set have been replaced last week and the tyre place told me that my pressures were too low or else I would have the same on those. I am flabbergasted at the back tyres lasting 34k and I don't drive it slow. I do a 40 mile round trip a day to work and it's a clear run on A roads and motorway.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links