Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Windows That Open Themselves

This morning, when I came out to my car (IS250SE), I was surprised to see that the driver and front passenger windows were both open about 2 inches (thankfully the car was still locked).

The windows definitely weren't left open when I last left and locked the car. Infact the windows hadn't even been opened during the last use of the car.

It's rather worrying to think that the car can decide to open the windows without my consent - even if it is gloriously sunny!

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

There has been some talk of it being a fault but the odds are as Johnboy says, it was something (or someone) pressing on the fob.

I've done it myself but had it on CCTV so had an exact time..... It was when I was getting into the loft so must have pressed the fob in my awkward position.

I think you can have the window control switched off as an option can't you? (dealer can change internal settings)

Thanks for the feedback. The 'key' fob had been in my pocket all along and there are no 'curious little hands' in the household, so maybe it got pressed accidentally. It's the first time it's happened in 5 months and I'm just grateful it wasn't raining.

I'll enquire with my dealer about getting it disabled. To be honest, such a feature doesn't sound particularly useful - just prone to the problem I encountered today.

I have used this feature but only in summer, use it to let some cooler air in as being black tends to get a bit warm in the sun

I've also had the fright of the open windows, but know in the habit of taking the fob out of my pocket as soon as i'm in the house.

I can honestly say I've never used the feature - and had the problem you've had too.

I've managed to reproduce my problem exactly (the front windows start to go down about a second before the rear ones, hence it is possible to just end up with the front windows open a little).

To be honest, this 'feature' has scared the living daylights out of me and is definitely going to be disabled at the next service. Thankfully I suffered no water damage on this occassion.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a dream last night where I was having to dry out the rear seats of my car because the windows had opened themselves.

Guess what.

I went down to the car this morning and all four windows were open. It was also raining and had been raining all night.

I now have a wet backside after the drive to work and I'm a bit cheesed off to say the least.

Has anyone sussed out how to do a DIY fix to stop the windows opening if you inadvertently lean on the key or is it still a dealer-only job?

Am I the only one that actually likes this function?

Last week when we had our summer for the year, I had to pop to the bank just after lunchtime, dropped the windows from my office window and by the time I'd run down the stairs, the car was nice and cool. Mind you, if we worked in a dodgy area with lots of scrotes around, I wouldn't do it...

Am I the only one that actually likes this function?

Last week when we had our summer for the year, I had to pop to the bank just after lunchtime, dropped the windows from my office window and by the time I'd run down the stairs, the car was nice and cool. Mind you, if we worked in a dodgy area with lots of scrotes around, I wouldn't do it...

I can see that it's a good idea in principal, but it's so easy to do it by mistake. Why not make it so that you have to hold down the unlock button and the open boot button, or some other combination, and not just by leaning on one button?