Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

N/a Tuned Is200 - Top-end Figures...

LiCkWiD

Hey all.

Asked this question in the main IS200 forum but didn't get much of a response...

Just wondering what kind of top-end performance numbers I'm likely to see if I go mad with the tuning. I'm not including turbo or supercharger conversions here. Pure N/A state. So basically every performance mod added and configured correctly, what kind of BHP and torque could I expect?

I've been thinking, and am I right in assuming pushing more than 20BHP out of the engine is about it? With the gases flowing, race cams, ecu remap or chipped, ported and polished etc.

Thanks all.

Hey all.

Asked this question in the main IS200 forum but didn't get much of a response...

Just wondering what kind of top-end performance numbers I'm likely to see if I go mad with the tuning. I'm not including turbo or supercharger conversions here. Pure N/A state. So basically every performance mod added and configured correctly, what kind of BHP and torque could I expect?

I've been thinking, and am I right in assuming pushing more than 20BHP out of the engine is about it? With the gases flowing, race cams, ecu remap or chipped, ported and polished etc.

Thanks all.

You could get 20bhp more with exhaust, manifold, gas flowing race cams, ported and polished, you would have to get different ecu as you cant remap the is200 :o all in all, this work would cost you many thousands and for what 20bhp ?

Not worth it IMHO, thats why lots dont bother :D

Yeah, it's cool. I don't think anyone with half a clue about performance tuning buys an N/A with a view to slice off 3-4 seconds from their 0-60, without moving to a forced induction method eventually.

If I ever do go down the performance route with the IS, it'll be via a turbo conversion, I think.

Going to be such a weird feeling at first, coming from a 1.8T 20v to a cruiser like the IS. Overtaking is going to be weird :S Hehe.

EDIT: Not saying big-figures from a N/A isn't possible... but we're talking £££££ here, plus new N/A engines with stronger internals and larger displacement as standard. Where there's a big bank balance, there's a way.

in australia if you want the NA route we put a 1UZ-FE VVT-i in there with full exhaust and ECU which pushes out around 276hp at the wheels compared to stock IS200 with something like 80kw/ 100hp.

We also have resources to do 1JZ/2JZ setups with a few of our guys running a 300hp 2JZ GTE, 400hp 1JZ GTE, 600hp 2JZ GTE and a 1000hp 2JZGTE all road registered and fully engineered. I'm not sure about in the UK but we can get these conversions done for around $12000 AUD

in australia if you want the NA route we put a 1UZ-FE VVT-i in there with full exhaust and ECU which pushes out around 276hp at the wheels compared to stock IS200 with something like 80kw/ 100hp.

We also have resources to do 1JZ/2JZ setups with a few of our guys running a 300hp 2JZ GTE, 400hp 1JZ GTE, 600hp 2JZ GTE and a 1000hp 2JZGTE all road registered and fully engineered. I'm not sure about in the UK but we can get these conversions done for around $12000 AUD

also personally i reckon the 1GFE is really only good for refining your driving technique.

Wow... that really is impressive mate!!

Problem is, look at the cash you're spending.

For much less, you could get a Celica GT-4 ST205 pushing 300BHP for far, far less. I don't doubt it's possible (with the money, time and know-how) to make these N/A IS200s scream... but it'd be cheaper (and easier) to do this for a turbocharged car.

Still.... seriously big numbers there :)

I'll continue dreaming :)

Wow... that really is impressive mate!!

Problem is, look at the cash you're spending.

For much less, you could get a Celica GT-4 ST205 pushing 300BHP for far, far less. I don't doubt it's possible (with the money, time and know-how) to make these N/A IS200s scream... but it'd be cheaper (and easier) to do this for a turbocharged car.

Still.... seriously big numbers there :)

I'll continue dreaming :)

Thats right, you looking at seriosly big numbers £££s, to make the is200 more powerful :D

how much were you planning on spending? because i guess the alternate route would be removing the car of unnecessary items such as electric/heater seats, hood/boot lid, fog lights,get lighter wheels, lightened flywheel. then basically with the 1GFE what you could do is trick the thermometer into thinking its got cold air going in and use a full header exhaust system. I reckon you could easily get somwhere around the 100kw/160hp atw mark with this sorta setup which is on par with the beams 3sge. but yeh we compared the 3sge and the 1gfe the 1g would win with the low down torque but the 3s would with with outright power

Nice tips there, buddy.

Definitely food for thought.

I'm in two minds over which way I'm going to take this car. Performance is always an option, but typically expensive when you haven't got an easily remappable ECU or a snail to up the boost on... or there's the purely aesthetic/pimp potential of all Lexus'.

If I go down the non-performance route I'll end up with a lush looking car, ideally with 18 inch white OZ Superturismo rims, lowered a further 30mm, legal window tints, a carbon fibre bonnet and spoiler. I'd like to up the brakes to a brembo set and either smooth the existing box or replace with the usual induction kit alternative. A race-cat and full Blitz exhaust will be added, too. That'd be the route I go with most cars, given the choice... God knows it'll be cheaper.

Ta for the advice, matey.

Keep an eye out for a supercharger.... Lee_Icemans IS200 is up around the 220bhp mark with just a charger, don't think he has the headers and exhaust done even... ;)

I'm tempted to ask what s/chargers people recommend... but this forum seems chock full of supercharger and turbocharger banter - I don't think it'll be hard to find 3 or 4 manufacturers mentioned on-mass. Might make for some interesting bed-time reading, too! :P

220, hmmm? Now we're talking icon12.gificon12.gificon12.gificon12.gificon12.gif

TTE supercharger.....good luck finsing one, apart from the ONLY 4 left in production - a cool 4.5k for one of those.

2nd hand one's are like chickens teeth to come across and will be sold instantly.

There is talk of a Lysholm charger setup, but i dont think this has been tried and tested by anyone yet, so that'll be a risk you'll take. again a good few grand for that (about 3-4k i think).

If it was me and you wanna stick to N/A....get induction kit, exhaust, sort the suspension (ARBs, braces, lowering spring/coilovers) and leave it there. it wouldn't be worth your while doing anything more (but thats ur choice).

alternitively, look into an IS300 (if you can find one that is)

That is a brilliant price (£6k), the ray hall one seemed to be fully working and integrated with OEM ECU. if i was still going down this route I would ship my car over to Aus (2k) for a year, you guys seem to have a done more of these conversions on (RHD) and therefore seem more knowledgeable then most.

Last weekend after Japfest and the attention it got, i think Louise should be kept as a mildy tuned conservative lady with enough go ;) A 450bhp Supra (BPU++) will most likely be my next addition they have a serious road presence and will frighten a lot of the more exotic supercars.

I still like the IS-F (been waiting for it for years) and the concept of mats Monster, but dont think that it is for me anymore.

Keep an eye out for a supercharger.... Lee_Icemans IS200 is up around the 220bhp mark with just a charger, don't think he has the headers and exhaust done even... ;)

yep thats Lee's, just an exhaust and standard tte kit,

ANd i'm only up to 217 with intercooler, exhaust, and decat standard manifold! Grrr lol

Nice tips there, buddy.

Definitely food for thought.

I'm in two minds over which way I'm going to take this car. Performance is always an option, but typically expensive when you haven't got an easily remappable ECU or a snail to up the boost on... or there's the purely aesthetic/pimp potential of all Lexus'.

If I go down the non-performance route I'll end up with a lush looking car, ideally with 18 inch white OZ Superturismo rims, lowered a further 30mm, legal window tints, a carbon fibre bonnet and spoiler. I'd like to up the brakes to a Brembo set and either smooth the existing box or replace with the usual induction kit alternative. A race-cat and full Blitz exhaust will be added, too. That'd be the route I go with most cars, given the choice... God knows it'll be cheaper.

Ta for the advice, matey.

nah no need to go brembos just get yourself a pair of front jza80 supra late model 4 pot brake calipers. These parts come a lot cheaper then brembos and the braking power in the supra calipers are phenominal it would catapult you through the windshield if you didn't have your seatbelt on. one of my mates got this from the road worthy certificate inspector "holy **** your brakes scared the crap out of me it stops like nothing on earth" haha. not sure but its something like 900 -1.5K + labour

TTE supercharger - havent seen one yet myself for they are as rare as altezza (RS200) are in aus (only around 8 aus wide) but in the end for us its too expensive and not a worth while mod. as 1 it drains power from the engine and 2 probably cost us around 6K AUD + labour which would bump it up to the price of a 3SGE conversion which is at 8K. positives would be the supercharger would still retain the smoothness of the standard engine (3SGE being noisy and rough reason why it was never badged as a lexus) and being bolt on you could remove it when you sell the car.

AUSILVR200 - you seem to be a bit of a course for engine converstion info :P

I've checked out a couple of sites now regarding the 1000HP conversion 2JZGTE, but I'm a little unsure about the specifics. What was the donor car and what turbo(s) are fitted? I must admit, when I was thinking crazy-thoughts about the very top-end tuning potential of the IS200, I didn't imagine anything near a 1000HP!

I've had the usual critics you always get when picking your next car. "Lexus' are old men's cars...", "Not tunable!", etc.... In my opinion, this guy is a tool. He's still driving his Ibiza Cupra (not even an IHI....). I chose to come away from the VAG 1.8T20v because I'd become a little bored of everyone taking the same route to get to the same magic 350BHP output. I loved my Cupra, but I wanted something different.

Tested a GT-4, a supercharged 2.7 V6 Hyundai Coupe/Tiburon and one or two other little beasties... but the IS is just nicer in its standard state.

nah no need to go brembos just get yourself a pair of front jza80 supra late model 4 pot brake calipers. These parts come a lot cheaper then brembos and the braking power in the supra calipers are phenominal it would catapult you through the windshield if you didn't have your seatbelt on. one of my mates got this from the road worthy certificate inspector "holy **** your brakes scared the crap out of me it stops like nothing on earth" haha. not sure but its something like 900 -1.5K + labour

I've done the same on mine, and although they're heavier than stock, they stop VERY well.

Stav

AUSILVR200 - you seem to be a bit of a course for engine converstion info :P

I've checked out a couple of sites now regarding the 1000HP conversion 2JZGTE, but I'm a little unsure about the specifics. What was the donor car and what turbo(s) are fitted? I must admit, when I was thinking crazy-thoughts about the very top-end tuning potential of the IS200, I didn't imagine anything near a 1000HP!

I've had the usual critics you always get when picking your next car. "Lexus' are old men's cars...", "Not tunable!", etc.... In my opinion, this guy is a tool. He's still driving his Ibiza Cupra (not even an IHI....). I chose to come away from the VAG 1.8T20v because I'd become a little bored of everyone taking the same route to get to the same magic 350BHP output. I loved my Cupra, but I wanted something different.

Tested a GT-4, a supercharged 2.7 V6 Hyundai Coupe/Tiburon and one or two other little beasties... but the IS is just nicer in its standard state.

no idea about turboes etc but you can check our australian forums as there are a few people lining up for 1JZGTE VVTI. the 1000HP monster is a fully built car with dished wheels on the rear the size of redbull cans. try. www.allstyleautomotive.com.au. but yeh i'll start a new thread about engine conversions later.

TTE supercharger.....good luck finsing one, apart from the ONLY 4 left in production - a cool 4.5k for one of those.

2nd hand one's are like chickens teeth to come across and will be sold instantly.

alternitively, look into an IS300 (if you can find one that is)

or buy one with a supercharger already installed.... these do come up every so often, Bazza's lovely red one wasn't snapped up straight away... don't know if it's gone now though?

or or or ... you could get an RS200 Altezza, less refinement but alot more eager to go :)

fitted a manifold/hi flow cat/Kazama rear box/induction kit/Camcon to a guys car 2 years ago

transformed the car lovely noise and went like the proverbial off the shovel.

never got it dyno'd though which was a shame

customer stuffed it after 3 months which was also a shame

fitted a manifold/hi flow cat/Kazama rear box/induction kit/Camcon to a guys car 2 years ago

Hmmm..... that's more realistic... for the time being, anyway.

I'm 23 and I've lost my NCB as of March (when I wrote off my Leon Cupra). Still, pay-review/job change before November (when I intend to take the IS200 to bigger BHP numbers). In the meantime, the usual mods are well and truly on my list. Glad to hear you think there is a noticable difference in performance. As much as I love the noise, I do like to think I'm not just ****** into the wind when spending ££££ on mods.

any chance on a dyno with your headers?

and anyone have a statistic on the HP increase of installing a TTE back box?

any chance on a dyno with your headers?

and anyone have a statistic on the HP increase of installing a TTE back box?

they gave 15 extra on a s/c'd car

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links