Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lights Staying On When Switched Off

ive just came home from shopping and took my keys out of the ignition and the lights have come on but when i put my key back in the ignition they switch off.so i cant switch my lights off without my keys in the ignition and my Battery will eventually go flat.help help help

its only my front lights

Isn't this caused by something like water in the footwell area or something? where it leaks through the front panel by ill-fitted window sills? i may be wrong and its just a faulty switch lol, best thing to do is take out the headlight fuse (not sure where its located, inside or in engine bay).

i thought the same as above^^ water getting to the fuse box, would have to check them, try the ones in the both footwells Aaron as water can seep in under the windscreen if its not been sealed properly when fitted and run down into the fuse box's? :)

i thought the same as above^^ water getting to the fuse box, would have to check them, try the ones in the both footwells Aaron as water can seep in under the windscreen if its not been sealed properly when fitted and run down into the fuse box's? :)

ive gone all through the fuses in both footwells and there all ok,then found the 3 fuses for the lights under the bonnet and there ok aswell the only thing i think it can be is the light contol relay which i have now removed.is there anyway of checking this or swaping it with another

Easiest is to pull the light relay. Its in the engine compartment box. Think it is the lowest down, but it is labelled on the lid.

This relay is controlled by the ECU - bet you 50p there is some damp near the footwell ecu, behind the fuse holder so a bit awkward.

When the weather dries up (or try a hair dryer for a while) it will be ok. You need a really good look as it only takes a very slight amount.

Do a search on here, I think STAV located the exact area to dry.

Fingers crossed its not this, but it is an ECU fault because the lights are controlled only by the ECU when the ignition is out. By turning the ignition on, the potential difference changes in the ECU which is why your lights are controllable again.

Easiest is to pull the light relay. Its in the engine compartment box. Think it is the lowest down, but it is labelled on the lid.

This relay is controlled by the ECU - bet you 50p there is some damp near the footwell ecu, behind the fuse holder so a bit awkward.

When the weather dries up (or try a hair dryer for a while) it will be ok. You need a really good look as it only takes a very slight amount.

Do a search on here, I think STAV located the exact area to dry.

Fingers crossed its not this, but it is an ECU fault because the lights are controlled only by the ECU when the ignition is out. By turning the ignition on, the potential difference changes in the ECU which is why your lights are controllable again.

is it worth resetting the ecu then?

I doubt is will make any odds if there is still damp in there mate - it will still trigger the lights.

I'm just looking for Stavs post myself now - it least you'll know where to dry out to try it.

I doubt is will make any odds if there is still damp in there mate - it will still trigger the lights.

I'm just looking for Stavs post myself now - it least you'll know where to dry out to try it.

im looking aswell,getting the hair dryer ready also

if it turns out to b a part you need then PM me as i just bought a few odds and ends of a guy on eBay and he seemed very helpfull and resonably priced. May have what you need..

if it turns out to b a part you need then PM me as i just bought a few odds and ends of a guy on eBay and he seemed very helpfull and resonably priced. May have what you need..

cheers leighton

when i had this it was the fuse box behind the drivers kick panel, i sealed round the loom coming through the bulkhead and spent a hour with a hairdryer on the three large multyplugs in the centre of the fusebox and theyve been great for about a year,

when i had this it was the fuse box behind the drivers kick panel, i sealed round the loom coming through the bulkhead and spent a hour with a hairdryer on the three large multyplugs in the centre of the fusebox and theyve been great for about a year,

so its defo the drivers side

its not the ecu. its a sticking relay arron

If it was sticky, it would stay stuck when the ignition is on. The ECU drops the common base on the tranny when power is applied to the ECU which in turn operates the auto lights. (goes high when the ignition is off because of the moisture.)

If you have the relay out, put 12v across the coil and you will hear it clicking in and out. Meter the contact if possible or put a bulb inline with power.

We know this already because when the ignition is on, it changes its state. If it was sticky it would stay stuck. This means it is a control issue rather than the relay itself.

This is a common issue:

Another thread on it

Here's another one:

HERE

Bet you it goes ok when everything has dried out. I would have thought the hairdryer would have done it, but unless it is actually dispersing the damp, it will be the same.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links