Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Parking Brake - How Do I Remember To Take It Off?

Yes I know there's a big red light on the dash telling me that I've left the parking brake on as I drive away, but is there a hidden code somewhere which can activate the "You've left your parking brake" tone sound as soon as I put it in D? I've lost count of the times I've driven away with the brake still on and I'm sure it's not doing it any good. I've tried to get into the routine of "right foot on brake, engine on, into gear, release parking brake, go" but it took me long enough to stop trying to start the car with an imaginary set of keys on the right hand side of the steering column....

Do any of you auto owners find the same thing, or it is just me???

You know what - I'm really glad you've posted this. I do it all the time and think "Hmmm the car's a bit sluggish"

As Maneesh says, its just a habit but I've had the car over 12 months!! I'll learn one day.....

Or just don't use it. Depending on where you park? leave it in P?

I've started doing that more and more but something just tells me its not right. I'm sure its fine on a pretty flat surface and all that but it just doesn't sit properly with me.

I know, I know...... I'll always put it on yet still try and drive away without taking it off.....

I heard mix views, i always remember to take it on and off. from what i heard it isnt good when the car just holding on to "p"

I must admit I don't like leaving it just in P either, especially when it's not on a flat surface. I'll just have to get used to it. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who forgets to take it off.

Never used it. Always left it in park and never had a problem even on steep inclines.

There you go then. I must admit, I do have friends in the US who never use the parking brake, even on inclines.

Its probably because we have it drummed into us about using the parking brake so much when we are learning.

I know there has been another thread on the parking brake v P but I'm ashamed to say I don't actually know the mechanics behind it! Is it just the engine/gears or is there another wheel lock of some sort?

Same as Stevet

Driven Automatics for years and have never used the parking brake !! - There's no point, once you put it in P the transmissions locked !!

Ask an American if they ever use a parking brake :shifty: - They've had autos a lot longer than we have .

The Ed

Same as Stevet

Driven Automatics for years and have never used the parking brake !! - There's no point, once you put it in P the transmissions locked !!

Ask an American if they ever use a parking brake :shifty: - They've had autos a lot longer than we have .

The Ed

Ha Ha I work with yanks every day and believe me you dont want to take advice of em! Yes, the transmission is locked but you've then got 1600kg of weight resting on the gearbox parking pin. Parking brake is there for a reason guys, only needs a pin to shear and there goes your pride n joy!

Same as Stevet

The Ed

Ha Ha I work with yanks every day and believe me you dont want to take advice of em! Yes, the transmission is locked but you've then got 1600kg of weight resting on the gearbox parking pin. Parking brake is there for a reason guys, only needs a pin to shear and there goes your pride n joy!

I agree with Nate73, Use the hand brake as well as Park position, rather safe than sorry.

My IS250 has a loud warning beeper if the brake is left on, anyway my brake is so good that you can feel the drag when you try to pull away, its like driving into a wall, or do some of you have 1000BHP with as much torque at idle.

Ex race car and rally driver but have driven auto's for years as road cars.

Or just don't use it. Depending on where you park? leave it in P?

I've started doing that more and more but something just tells me its not right. I'm sure its fine on a pretty flat surface and all that but it just doesn't sit properly with me.

I know, I know...... I'll always put it on yet still try and drive away without taking it off.....

It's not good mate, it's fine in terms of holding the car in position but it's not good for the transmission at all..........

In terms of remembering it, isn't it the same as remembering to release the handbrake? I don't get the difference..... :unsure:

Guys, just give yourself a firm slap across the face and repeat "Sorry Lexy, I must learn to treat you right"

After a couple of rosy cheeks you'll soon remember :rolleyes:

In terms of remembering it, isn't it the same as remembering to release the handbrake? I don't get the difference..... :unsure:

Nope. You would think so, but it isn't. This thread wouldn't exist if it was.

I spent 20 years with a handbrake. Muscle memory and all that now there's a footbrake instead, I simply forget. I obviously don't push it right down either (or its rubbish) because I can pull away. I should give it a good test really.

We aren't talking miles here or driving around all day, just moving a few yards before its obviously something wrong and of course it clicks.

I spent 20 years with a handbrake. Muscle memory and all that now there's a footbrake instead, I simply forget. I obviously don't push it right down either (or its rubbish) because I can pull away. I should give it a good test really.

We aren't talking miles here or driving around all day, just moving a few yards before its obviously something wrong and of course it clicks.

Your not too old to try Post #17 now matey :whistling:

Is it not normal practice to put the hanbrake on when you park and when you want to move you take the handbrake off!!!

Does not matter what you drive when you are ready to move take the handbrake offski..

Unless it is something to do with you lot that have autos and you get very lazy but I always apply the handrake when stationary. :whistling:

Guys, just give yourself a firm slap across the face and repeat "Sorry Lexy, I must learn to treat you right"

After a couple of rosy cheeks you'll soon remember :rolleyes:

Haha, isn't that how you would train a dog? Beat it when it makes a mistake so it knows not to do it again........ :lol:

Fair enough mate, just after I posted that, went out in the car with my dad and he did it too :D

It does beep though as soon as you pull off with the handbrake on doesn't it? So at least it reminds you then........

Whenever I've had courtesy cars as soon as I stick one foot on the brake to start it, the other foot tends to go straight on the footbrake to release it..........perhaps doing them both at the same time might help remember?

Whenever I've had courtesy cars as soon as I stick one foot on the brake to start it, the other foot tends to go straight on the footbrake to release it..........perhaps doing them both at the same time might help remember?

That's what I'm trying to get into the routine of doing now. So far I've only had one false start since posting this topic. The other thing I'm trying to do is always keep the wheels straight so that the tiny little red warning light on the dash is not obscured.

Is it not normal practice to put the hanbrake on when you park and when you want to move you take the handbrake off!!!

Does not matter what you drive when you are ready to move take the handbrake offski..

Unless it is something to do with you lot that have autos and you get very lazy but I always apply the handrake when stationary. :whistling:

Yes - but its not a handbrake like you have. In fact there's nothing there.

Its in the footwell which makes all the difference. I notice all the people commenting are the ones that don't actually have it this way in their normal use and have a regular handbrake?

Purvesh's idea is about the best. Bitchslap myself everytime I do it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links