Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Remote Key

1-Remove the small screw by the metal part of the key

2-Gently lift the back of the key (the bit with the Lexus logo on) upwards so it is a couple of mm above the other half

3-Slide the back of the key towards the keyfob loop

There is plastic clip that you will be able to see if you look carefully at the keyfob loop that kind of hooks over the front (bit with buttons) of the key

4-Look in amazement at the amount of fluff and crud that has somehow managed to accumulate inside the key. Mine looked like the inside of a tumble driers lint filter

5-The bit that has the buttons can be removed from the key for easier fiddling.

6-Remove the two small screws holding the compartment closed and replace the Battery

Reassembly is obviously the reverse, but make sure everything is sealed to prevent water etc. Oh and don't blame me if you mess it up!

Good luck

• 1 month later...

• 2 years later...
1-Remove the small screw by the metal part of the key

2-Gently lift the back of the key (the bit with the Lexus logo on) upwards so it is a couple of mm above the other half

3-Slide the back of the key towards the keyfob loop

There is plastic clip that you will be able to see if you look carefully at the keyfob loop that kind of hooks over the front (bit with buttons) of the key

4-Look in amazement at the amount of fluff and crud that has somehow managed to accumulate inside the key. Mine looked like the inside of a tumble driers lint filter

5-The bit that has the buttons can be removed from the key for easier fiddling.

6-Remove the two small screws holding the compartment closed and replace the battery

Reassembly is obviously the reverse, but make sure everything is sealed to prevent water etc. Oh and don't blame me if you mess it up!

Good luck

Just wondered if u knew what type of Battery the keys take n where u get them from

• 7 months later...

My 1993 Lexus ES300 uses a sony CR1216 3v battery. I bought 5 of them for $5.00 at this web site.

I have an IS200 and just changed the battery ... the battery was marked 1616 so replaced it with the same type ... got the battery from the local jewellers and he explained that the 1616 numbers indicated that the battery was 0.16mm in dept and Diameter was 16mm ... he also mentioned that because of the position securing spring mechanism you could also use 1016 to a 2016 as there is about 0.1 play in the spring ... paid 6 quid for mine though but worth it as remote locking/unlocking is real handy :)

• 1 year later...

Just bought a pair of batteries for £2.89 from eBay to replace the dead one I've been squeezing the last bit out of for weeks. I have to put it right up to the windscreen to get it to work.

When I put the key in the drivers door and try to unlock it though, the alarm goes off and the only way I've found to stop it is to use the remote. Is it meant to do that?

When I put the key in the drivers door and try to unlock it though, the alarm goes off and the only way I've found to stop it is to use the remote. Is it meant to do that?

Yes, that's normal...