Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Clocked Car

Ian D

Bit of a story. [just about] divorced, I bought IS300 when kicked out, wife used my Zafira, I took Zafira back so wife went to nearest dealer and got screwed. Now she's getting Zafira and I have this Jag to sell :crying: .

I thought the drivers seat showed too much wear for 19,000 miles.

So, I get the logbook on this 'verified mileage', 'HPI checked' 'service due soon' 19,000 mile 6-yr-old car.

Services due each 12 mths/20k. Turns out mileage at first service at 12 mths: 9,000. Mileage at second service (early at 20 mths): 1,900!

Last service April 2006.....

So 'verified mileage' is crap. 'Service due soon' is crap, unless code for 12 mths overdue.

Paid for HPI check, mileage flagged up as big warning - 3 instances of obvious mileage irregularities.

I suspect the car has done double the mileage.

Am preparing letter for wife to sign, but don't expect response.

Has anyone had experience of taking on a dealer?

Does anyone know a good internet or SE London solicitor (she lives in Lee, SE London)?

Thanks all.

I told her she should have bought a Lexus. :winky:

So who actually bought the jag ( I know your wife got screwed but I'm assuming that was after the divorce :hehe: , but did you buy the Jag or the wife / ex-wife and from a dealer? How old is it?

As already suggested speak to Trading Standards and or Citizens Advice and maybe a pleasant call to the dealer asking for a full refund ........

HPI is not infallable and only goes on information recieved so it could be someone has entered 1900 miles instead of 19000 for the second service.Can you contact the previous owner and the garage that carred out the services for verification.Did the car have a disclaimer stuck on the speedo when purchased :

Thanks, guys.

To clarify, wife bought Jag all on her own, nothing to do with me. Out of interests for kids, have 'sold' wife 7-seater Zafira for the Jag + cash difference, so I've ended up with the Jag to sell instead of the Zafira I got under divorce settlement.

As for mileage, service log book and HPI stack up in early years. Only interpretation is that somewhere before 12 mths old the odometer stuck at 8,660 miles, this was reset to zero at 18 mths and mileage was 1900 at 20 mths. There is something strange later on where the National Mileage Register shows 19,000 miles 2 years ago but the service log book shows less than this (14,400 miles). Number of entries from manufacturer suggests lots of repairs under warranty.

Still waiting for paperwork from wife to see what exactly says, but if dealer knows mileage is not accurate he has to say so quite clearly on paperwork - can't use general exclusions.

Should have gone to Lexus......

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links