Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Re-sealing Headlights

Andy-R

Thats what I'd thought but the back of the lamps are longer than the ordinary ones. Therefore the frame had to be cut (behind the headlamps).

I am worried about the MOT but it's almost 6 months away, so let's see how it goes..

The car has to be fully road legal as it was when the MOT was done. If you are stopped and checked you could be fined for being unroadworthy or possibly a producer which will mean getting a new MOT which you will fail..

dont want to sound like a kill joy but this was exactly the reason why i didnt get these..

The car has to be fully road legal as it was when the MOT was done. If you are stopped and checked you could be fined for being unroadworthy or possibly a producer which will mean getting a new MOT which you will fail..

If I understand you correctly, then your headlights are not aimed correctly, and your car is neither legal nor roadworthy. Just because your MOT is 6 months away, does not mean it is legal until then.

If your lights point to the right then you will dazzle oncoming traffic. This is uncourteous and down right dangerous. Possibly worse than fog lights?

"Oi Nob! Illegal headlights do not make you car any more desirabe." Oh, the Irony!

If it was my car, guaranteed the Rashers would pull me for it.

The topic of US spec headlights has been covered on this forum quite a lot, and i think the general conclusion was, unless they are properly adjustable (if it took you all day to fit, you should be pretty familiar with the units!) they are very difficult (impossible) to get a legal beam pattern with. Some people swap the standards back for MOT, but this isn't really recommended. Many have rejected the idea of these type of units, as they prefer to stay within the law.....

US headlights wouldnt dazzle if installed correctly as the beam dips to the front, not left or right

They would be legal on a USDM vehicle, if no other lights are available, hence why all the US trucks and cars can drive in the UK, there lights point and dip straight ahead

US headlights wouldnt dazzle if installed correctly as the beam dips to the front, not left or right

They would be legal on a USDM vehicle, if no other lights are available, hence why all the US trucks and cars can drive in the UK, there lights point and dip straight ahead

The only problem I have is because they're for US cars therefore the right light is slightly to the right (since we've left headlight slightly to the left to light up the foot-path).

Well, there are slight discrepencies between what you and he are saying Mat, unless they are not installed correctly, of course. He says his point right.

The only problem I have is because they're for US cars therefore the right light is slightly to the right (since we've left headlight slightly to the left to light up the foot-path).

Well, there are slight discrepencies between what you and he are saying Mat, unless they are not installed correctly, of course. He says his point right.

Trust me, US headlights do not dip, left and right, Euro dip Right, UK dip left, US dip straight on

Anyway, what is the solution? Does anybody know i these lights can be adjust them to make them UK road legal? Any suggestions would be appreciated

no, there US lights, there designed to be used in the US on US cars.

you may just be able to coax some beam movement to the left, ...but not much

Anyway, what is the solution? Does anybody know i these lights can be adjust them to make them UK road legal? Any suggestions would be appreciated

not as far as im aware.. if you contact the original seller even they will state they will not pass an MOT and therfore are not road legal... shame as they look good..

i guess its your choice to take the chance with them..

i have had these on the car when i mot'd it. it failed and on the fail sheet it said there is to much kick up on the right!!!

if you put stickers on the headlights (to cut off the kick on the right) then these would pass an mot fine!! apart from that theres nothing you can do. these headlights do not have the adjustment in them to bring the kick back down!!

**UPDATE**

It appears I may have resolved my condensation issue on my n/s headlight issue, after removing one of my bulbs the plastic surround which the bulb locks into was very loose (this has 3 screws securing it), I tightend these screws and so far haven't had any condensation at all.

:)